Sign in to follow this  
maf

Getting the auto throttle right

Ive been trying to figure this one out in the manual, but im somewhat confused as to how you activate the autothrottles on the ngx. If im not mistaken, the realistic engagement of the autopilot demands that you are trimmed correctly, have flaps 1 or more for take off, and have the A/T activated on TO?Im having trouble activating CMD A or B below 2000ft, so im doing something wrong here.Im so used to airbus and md-11 systems that im having difficulties figuring out the 737s autopilot and throttle.How to activate TO-mode correctly?Thanks for helping me out:-)

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

Make sure there is no pressure on the yoke. Which is why they mention the trim.If you set the trim per the FMC settings, you should be close enough to be ableto let off the pressure, and not go shooting up or down.The auto-throttles would already be engaged if you used TO/GA for takeoff.I activate TO/GA by clicking on the click spot on the MCP. There is also thebutton on the throttle, but I never use that one..

You could do this in diffr way.Like this for example:1.Both Flightdir on, A/T set on MCP, V2 dialed on MCP, press Toga when stable. 2.Above 400' RA call for roll mode (HDG SEL or LNAV). 3.At thrust reduction height 800' set Climb thrust PUSH N1 switch. Verify climb thrust.4.At acceleration height say 1500' set flaps UP speed.After retraction call VNAV. Then engage AP.or set LNAV and VNAV when lined up, (Note LNAV won´t engage if first wp > 5 Nm from Rwyand also in a opposite dir. Use then Heading in the beginning.Press AP after some 500 feet and no pressure on stick or yoke.( I assume your trim is correct)/ Leffe

or set LNAV and VNAV when lined up, (Note LNAV won´t engage if first wp > 5 Nm from Rwy/ Leffe
LNAV : More than 5 degrees heading difference not NM.AP engage : It is required that the electric trim button is not pressed and that the difference between the FD roll and pitch bar and actual attitude of the plane is less than a margin.The margin varies depending on the selected roll/pitch mode. 3 degrees for GS/GP/ALT ACQ and 6 degrees for other pitch modes.For roll modes 7 degrees for VORLOC and 14 degrees for all other. Naturally you intend to have the FD bars centered to avoid severe correction action, despite those rather wide margins. Else upon AP engagement the system will degrade to CWS.Perhaps I should write somewhere the complete list which is very very lengthy.PS. If at the time of AP engagement or after the controls are deflected considerably you will destroy the onside FCC by shearing off internal mechanical structures ("shear rivets" as they are called in the maintenance manual). These structures are thus constructed intentionally for "panic" pilot override situations.

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

====================================

You could do this in diffr way.Like this for example:1.Both Flightdir on, A/T set on MCP, V2 dialed on MCP, press Toga when stable. 2.Above 400' RA call for roll mode (HDG SEL or LNAV). 3.At thrust reduction height 800' set Climb thrust PUSH N1 switch. Verify climb thrust.4.At acceleration height say 1500' set flaps UP speed.After retraction call VNAV. Then engage AP.
Thanks folks. Ive flown the 737NG before in FS, but not as advanced as this one.Ive been using the button on the throttles to try and activate the A/T, but whenever I push that button, the A/T button on the MCP deactivates forsome reason.

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

The button on the throttles is to deactivate autothrust, not enable. [i have assigned a button on my joystick]The toggle switch on the MCP is to enable the autothrust.Simply flip the switch to on. Both flight directors on, altitude set, roll and climb modes set, autobrake set to RTO, speed brakes armed, trim... hit TOGA.Sounds like you are arming AT, then disarming with the button on the throttles. you only flip the toggle switch.

The button on the throttles is to deactivate autothrust, not enable. [i have assigned a button on my joystick]...Sounds like you are arming AT, then disarming with the button on the throttles. you only flip the toggle switch.
Oops.. aha! Should have read the little inscription on the throttles.. hahaha.. that was funny, no wonder I couldnt get the A/T to respond andgive me TO thrust..But, there may be some misunderstanding regarding the toggling of A/T and the issue im having. On the PMDG Fs9 737, after you armed the A/T by setting the button in the ON position, youd press a clickspot on the MCP (think it was a screw that was part of the MCP mounting in the cockpit). Is there such a clickspot on the NGX?Thing is, on the MD11 before take off, you press AUTOFLIGHT, and when you push the throttles above 60-65% N2, autothrust engages per MCDU settings. Somewhat like the Airbus, but on the Airbus you have the thrust gates (FLEX, TOGA and so on)..Im just confused by having to many aircrafts in the good ol hangar if u know what i mean..

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB

LNAV : More than 5 degrees heading difference not NM.AP engage : It is required that the electric trim button is not pressed and that the difference between the FD roll and pitch bar and actual attitude of the plane is less than a margin.The margin varies depending on the selected roll/pitch mode. 3 degrees for GS/GP/ALT ACQ and 6 degrees for other pitch modes.For roll modes 7 degrees for VORLOC and 14 degrees for all other. Naturally you intend to have the FD bars centered to avoid severe correction action, despite those rather wide margins. Else upon AP engagement the system will degrade to CWS. Perhaps I should write somewhere the complete list which is very very lengthyPS. If at the time of AP engagement or after the controls are deflected considerably you will destroy the onside FCC by shearing off internal mechanical structures ("shear rivets" as they are called in the maintenance manual). These structures are thus constructed intentionally for "panic" pilot override situations.
Please do write this up: 'am sure it would be very interesting and would enhance what isalready a fun experience.

Yes !!It is just near that same screw as before.That will activate TO/GA.For a normal takeofff...............advance the throttles to 40% N1.Press TO/GA............The AFDS commands 10 degrees nose down ( as can be seen on the PFD )at 60 knots it commands 15 degrees nose up ( as can be seen on the PFD )At 80 knots the A/T goes into THRUST HOLD.At Vr..........................rotate and follow the F/D bars.Note: the 15 degrees nose up is now correct after SP1.Before SP1 it was only 12.5 degrees !!!!
..Ahhh! Thank you! Enough with the confusion, lets get flyin;-)
I have TOGA assigned to a joystick button, makes life easier.
..and thats what I should have done a long time ago:-)

Yngve Giljebrekke
ENZV NSB