Sign in to follow this  
adamant365

A Suggestion For DWC and Destination Weather

Hello All,This is just a suggestion. I have seen posted many times about how DWC controls weather "Globally" and how that can affect FSX AI traffic, the reported winds at destination and the runway FSX assigns. For example, I was given RWY26R at KATL on a recent flight even though the winds at the surface were 090 @ 14. This of course caused a strong tailwind on my final approach. So my suggestion is this, and it will come in the form of a question:Is it possible to create a feature in ASE whereby the user could select one station to completely exclude from the ASE global depiction of weather? I.e., something on the main interface where the user could type in an ICAO code and that station be excluded from the global weather and have that station's weather always match the raw METAR. Or, maybe expand on the "Force Destination Wx Zone" to be a user customizable number? 80nm just doesn't seem to be a big enough radius. In my example above, I had "Force Dest. Wx" active and it did work to change the active runways at KATL, but it was too late and not before I had already been cleared so that when I was on final to 26R there was traffic taking off directly towards me off the 8's, 9's and 10!Basically, I love ASE for it's accurate depiction of winds aloft for commercial flying but the destination weather "issue" is frustrating during reciprocal surface/winds aloft situatios. Standard mode isn't really an option for me because I just love DWC mode... Let me know what you think, bash me down, whatever. Either way, I will still continue to use ASE. It's a great product (the best weather for FSX IMHO) but I would love to see the actual surface data somehow applied in time to see correct runway assignments.Thank you!

Hi,Do you use FSX ATC or something different? With FSX one it will never work with DWC. Others - yes, you will get correct RWY to land on, based on local ATIS and this one will not be taken form DWC global mode.

Tom Link

I use FSX ATC. I understand that as ASE is currently designed, correct runway assignment 100% of the time is impossible with FSX ATC. I guess if HiFi has a "suggestion box" this would be the note I would put in it for a future version.

Try Smooth Cloud Transitions, rather than Standard or DWC! SCT imho is still the best one, especially for your concern.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I rarely get the correct runway with ASE.Tonight going into Geneva - all my real world sources told me 240@8kts which I had set up a SPR transition for runway 23 - ASE tells me I need to go to runway 05. Not correct!I using Aerosoft PFE for ATC, Rex never got the destination runways wrong....All I want is ASE to reflect real world conditions.

Chris, You should use standard or smooth cloud transitions mode.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I have a work-around that I have been using because I too use FSX and prefer DWC wx aloft. Usually FSX ATC assigns expected approach from 60-70nm from destination which is usually well into the descent. Once I begin descent, I switch out to my desk-top and change ASE option to STANDARD, close it out, then reload it. I then return to FSX (there should be no change in wx depiction) and continue my descent. The wx will update and FSX ATC will observe the correct destination wx and assign correct runway direction. I really prefer not to pause the flight to have to return to my desktop but at least the approach will then be accurately assigned. I have set 8000 feet suppression and 100nm radius and that seems to be correctly performing but I also select "ground suppression" and for some reason only known to Damian, it does not prevent constant reloading of the wx during taxi. Work-around aside, I am very pleased that SP3 has finally made it possible (albeit some anomolies that need to be worked out) to have relatively accurate weather depiction for FSX enroute. And since I fly OFFLINE, I am delighted that the hard IMC conditions that ASE predicts for my destination will actually be there when I arrive without FSX changing it to CAVOK when I am on final as it has so many times in the past. Great job Damian and HiFi team. If only you could get the "ground suppression" to actually work...!