Sign in to follow this  
raymar

737 NGX from PMDG (The Full Look)

Chase summed up the review of the PMDG 737 NGX quite well. I read it with interest, although I already knew the outcome as I got my download on day one also. I was one of the lucky ones with no show stoppers.What I didn't know was . . .(i.e. a sound happening on the left side of your head is more noticeable in the left ear than on the right ear – the same applies in this simulation). My wife and I spend an hour or so on google trying to confirm this. Our conclusion is it is BS, (Our neighbor is an Audiologist and her opinion is the same - BS) but the review was well done, fair and balanced as FOX would say.She recommends we fly as often as we can and enjoy the immersion and that Chase clean the wax in the left ear.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Chase summed up the review of the PMDG 737 NGX quite well. I read it with interest, although I already knew the outcome as I got my download on day one also. I was one of the lucky ones with no show stoppers.What I didn't know was . . .(i.e. a sound happening on the left side of your head is more noticeable in the left ear than on the right ear – the same applies in this simulation). My wife and I spend an hour or so on google trying to confirm this. Our conclusion is it is BS, (Our neighbor is an Audiologist and her opinion is the same - BS) but the review was well done, fair and balanced as FOX would say.She recommends we fly as often as we can and enjoy the immersion and that Chase clean the wax in the left ear.Ray
LOL

ha ha ha, I was trying to put in words what it sounds like when you move your head around in the simulation. If you have the External power cart running outside of the flight deck (on the left) the sound of the big diesel engine is heard more on the left side of your head than the right side (because your left ear is facing the cart). This is true when you move your head around in the cabin hearing switch noises etc. I just felt like the sound immersion in general was well done.

ha ha ha, I was trying to put in words what it sounds like when you move your head around in the simulation. If you have the External power cart running outside of the flight deck (on the left) the sound of the big diesel engine is heard more on the left side of your head than the right side (because your left ear is facing the cart). This is true when you move your head around in the cabin hearing switch noises etc. I just felt like the sound immersion in general was well done.
I fully agree with you and I think the sound package that PMDG has for the 737NGX is absolutely top notch. They have introduced several new external sounds that have been absent in previous addons. I think our ears were designed to work with our brains and even though sounds can originate in any of the 360 degrees the combination of ear design and brain work can isolate and locate those directions, even on opposite sides of the head. But, the sounds may be appear louder when on the same side of the head as the nearest ear. The sounds in the PMDG 737NGX are very directional and that adds a lot to the immersion factor and gives a bit more reality to the simulation.Good review, Chase.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .