Sign in to follow this  
amorris

FSX Scenery Filename Code

I have been having a problem in FSX where the program crashes (the dreaded MS Flight Simulator has encountered an error...); the problem seems to occur only when I'm heading west and just west of Denver. Someone has suggested I have a corrupt scenery file. OK, sounds plausible, so I go to the Scenery folder, and the filenames are numbers. Does anyone know how to break the code so we know which file corresponds to what section of the world? Thanks in advance for any help.Alan

OK.. He's suggesting a corrupt scenery.cfg file - not the actual %fsx_root%Scenery folder.You will find it in here:- C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSXJust delete it and let FSX make a new one. You might have to hit "OK" a few times, but it won't take more than a few seconds and it'll be done.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Does anyone know how to break the code so we know which file corresponds to what section of the world?
The numbering system is explained in the terrain section of the SDK.Without the included map the numbers are meaningless.regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Guest firehawk44
OK.. He's suggesting a corrupt scenery.cfg file - not the actual %fsx_root%Scenery folder.You will find it in here:- C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSXJust delete it and let FSX make a new one. You might have to hit "OK" a few times, but it won't take more than a few seconds and it'll be done.
FSX will not make a new Scenery folder. You can copy the one in the folder where the FSX.cfg exists though and paste it into the ProgramData folder. You'll then have the task of adding any scenery you installed manually or reinstalling the scenery.Best regards,Jim
I have been having a problem in FSX where the program crashes (the dreaded MS Flight Simulator has encountered an error...); the problem seems to occur only when I'm heading west and just west of Denver. Someone has suggested I have a corrupt scenery file. OK, sounds plausible, so I go to the Scenery folder, and the filenames are numbers. Does anyone know how to break the code so we know which file corresponds to what section of the world? Thanks in advance for any help.Alan
Whenever you get that 'dreaded' error message, you need to check out the system Event Viewer and look what caused the error. It does not sound like you have opened the right scenery folder. The filenames should not be numbers. You should have an [AREA] and a corresponding [LAYER] in numerical sequence. It sounds like to me you opened the Main FSX directory and looked into the Scenery directory and that has a list of number folders representing different parts of the world. That is NOT the scenery.cfg.Best regards,Jim

I didn't tell him to create a new scenery folder, Jim. He was told

Someone has suggested I have a corrupt scenery file.
In my post I suggested that he has a corrupt scenery.cfg file - not the actual %fsx_root%Scenery folder.The answer to a corrupt scenery file - the working file - not the one in %fsx_root%scenery.cfg - is to go to C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX, and delete that working copy. To be absolutely sure I did that very same task prior to posting, and it certainly does make a new scenery file.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi AlanHere is what you are looking for:http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc707102.aspxLook under Base File Information.There is a map and an explanation on how scenery files are numbered.The above link is for Microsofts ESP program but it is effectively the same as for FSX (the link looks exactly like the one in the FSX SDK documentation).

www.antsairplanes.com

Many thanks to All for the responses. I think anthony31 has provided what I need. If I understand the map, the grid containing all of the area where I'm crashing is row 2 column 2, or folder 0202. If I have it correctly, this folder is located at C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XScenery. I will replace all these files in this folder and see if I still crash. It will be tomorrow night before I can get it done, but I will report back. Again, many thanks.Alan

Glad it's half-way solved! Anthony is right: I misread Alan's post and then Jim misread mine. I've never had an individual scenery bgl go bad, though, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Guest firehawk44
I didn't tell him to create a new scenery folder, Jim. He was told In my post I suggested that he has a corrupt scenery.cfg file - not the actual %fsx_root%Scenery folder.The answer to a corrupt scenery file - the working file - not the one in %fsx_root%scenery.cfg - is to go to C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX, and delete that working copy. To be absolutely sure I did that very same task prior to posting, and it certainly does make a new scenery file.
Sorry Paul for the confusion. For the record I did not mean a new scenery file but a new scenery.cfg. I have never heard of anyone deleting their scenery.cfg and then letting FSX rebuild it. You're the first one I have ever heard who has actually done it and that might be good info to know if one wants to go back to the original default scenery.cfg.Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim; Yeah - I've done it a number of times. If you've deleted a scenery file instead of uninstalling it (duh!) - you get that "Can't find scenery number 147, or whatever - that's when I rebuild it.Anyway - no problems - we both learned in this one!!LOL.gif

Well, according to the map grid the western US is in folder 0202. I loaded my FSX onto another computer, then copied 0202 from the fresh install onto my other computer where my working version of FSX resides. And...same problem -- no change. This time, however, when I got the dreaded FSX must close, I unpaused the simulator and kept flying. I moved the must close box as far to the left of the screen and flew all the way from 100 mi east of KLAX to KDEN. Everything seemed to be working until I changed to a top down view, and I saw there was nothing on the ground but a blurry gray surface. Something in the scenery is still corrupted. Could it be that my original copy of FSX is corrupted (if so the new install on the other computer will accomplish nothing)? I hope someone has some ideas as to how to proceed? I appreciate any and all input.Addendum: just got off the phone with Microsoft tech support. They tell me the ONLY way to fix such a problem is a complete reinstall. UGH!!! Can anyone point me to a post with good reinstall instructions. Thanks in advance.Alan

How about a Repair?

How about a Repair?
I've never done a reinstall. Does it offer a repair option? If so, is there any possibility the repair will mess up my FSUIPC or Radar Contact installations? If not, I'll sure go ahead and try it.And, Jim, thanks for the reinstall link.Alan