Sign in to follow this  
benny948

Is This a Good Landing?

Fun video to watch, but a bit challenging to judge the landing without a cockpit panel view.showing set-up, approach speeds, flap settings, etc. Looks like you may have been hanging a bit deeper on the backside of the power curve than necessary from the (apparent) high AOA, but I didn't see a tail strike. Especially being a night landing makes it even tougher to see from the perspectives you provide.

Signature.jpg

You know the definitions, right? A good landing is one you can walk away from. A great landing is one you can taxi away from. It looked like you were getting the 50ft callout as you were crossing the threshold, which is the correct height for most runways.

Fs Flying School can grade your landings and indeed your whole flight.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

A soft landing on wich I am proud at.. as above has been said, if you can walk away from it, it was a good one..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZEo9jIBwWo

Benny I think it’s a good landing! To be a bit critical – I think you could fly a little faster over the fence.Just because I’d expect the pitch to be a little flatter and the flare to be more subtle.WIth a jet - Fly it on…so to speak :)You’ve got those micro corrections figured out….so I’d just confirm your speeds.Myself, without some attention, I tend to land my GA too fast and twins and jets too slow – something I’ve noticed.

On the first landing were you attempting to plant the nose gear IN the runway or ON it?Well you did ask!Shocked.gif ;)

This video can provide you additional insight upon my landings.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma_n9zsbrVI&feature=channel_video_title

Why dont your VASI's switch over to two reds?Like mine?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0R0LP8RWHc

Guest jahman

The general idea that a landing ought to be as soft as possible is incorrect because you delay landing unnecessarily, all the way eating-up runway and exposing yourself to cross-wind drift. Landings shoud be firm around 250 FPM. Aircraft have shock-absorbers: Use them! Big Grin.gifCheers,- jahman.

Indeed.A VA I used to fly for now penalizes pilots for landings below 100ft/minute.With good reason I say.The reason you should land firmly is very simple :It absolutely and without a doubt tells the plane it is on the groundso all stopping equipment will infact work whereas if the plane landsvery soft it might believe it is still airborne, preventing certain equipment fromworking such as spoilers and/or brakes.This is especially true for the wet weather but it is good to do the samein good weather as well so you do not have to learn two landing techniques.Aim for 200/300ft/minute, that is much better and will prevent you from holding offall the while eating up runway.cheersJP.

They do it all the time.. lolhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVWVb2RkQM&feature=related

Guest jahman
They do it all the time.. lol
A great example: By my count he could have been on the ground 5 seconds earlier. At 140 KN that's 1.200 ft of RWY used exactly for what? To impress his girlfriend? :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.

A great example: By my count he could have been on the ground 5 seconds earlier. At 140 KN that's 1.200 ft of RWY used exactly for what? To impress his girlfriend? Big Grin.gifCheers,- jahman.
... and what's more, had his brakes failed he would've been in serious sh!ite, and thinking.... why didn't I just put it downLOL.gif

Indeed.A VA I used to fly for now penalizes pilots for landings below 100ft/minute.With good reason I say.The reason you should land firmly is very simple :It absolutely and without a doubt tells the plane it is on the groundso all stopping equipment will infact work whereas if the plane landsvery soft it might believe it is still airborne, preventing certain equipment fromworking such as spoilers and/or brakes.This is especially true for the wet weather but it is good to do the samein good weather as well so you do not have to learn two landing techniques.Aim for 200/300ft/minute, that is much better and will prevent you from holding offall the while eating up runway.cheersJP.
JP, your VA is giving you a lot of totally incorrect information. I have yet to meet a pilot who landed so softly that he didn't know he was on the ground, that never happens. Secondly, if you are referring to devices that require you to be on the ground to deploy they rely on squat switches and NOT on the type of landing you just did. If you land at 1 fps or 1000 fps your ground spoilers and reversers will deploy because the weight of the airplane on the ground is still the same on the squat switches. Spoilers, reverse thrusters and autobrakes don't care at what FPM you landed, it only cares that the full weight of the aircraft is on the ground.Next, its not the feet per minute that causes you to float, its the speed above Vref that causes you to float. Meaning you landed at too high an airspeed. You should aim to come across the fence at Vref (+Wind Correction) and you should aim for the touchdown zone consistantly. In a Cessna 172 for instance, you hold the aircraft off of the ground until the stall horn sounds, in a commerical jet you fly the aircraft onto the ground to achieve a firm and consistant landing but that doesn't mean that you can't grease the landings too. You arrest your rate of descent as required and if your technique is correct you will find that you make soft landings in the same spot each and every time.