Sign in to follow this  
Aharon

Question About REX Please

Shalom and greetings all my pals,REX is having 50 percent off sale. Before I decide to buy it on 50 percent off sale to enjoy SUPER REALISTIC clouds, can any FSF member with WEAKEST computer or laptop who has REX please tell me if this software can run smoothly in your pc or laptop?Remember I am also running FSX, FSCARS or VASF4, sqwkkbox 4.0, and vatsim at same time for flying. So adding REX can burden my laptop unless all of you tell me I am wrong.Thanks,Aharon

signCopy.jpg

the Overdrive textures may be a little much for your laptop but the software is great. You do have many selections and options to tune down the frames.-Damien

Damien,Thanks I forgot to tell. I am not using REX for ground textures or water. Just for realistic clouds. Will this make it easy for my HP Pavilion DV6885E Special Edition laptop with T8100 Centrino Duo Core 2.10 GHZ with 3 GB ram, 250 GB with 5,400 rpm, 256 mb dedicated NVIDIA GeForce 8400 M GS, 1248x800 resolution, and Vista Premium ?Aharon

signCopy.jpg

If you want just clouds, take a look at FEX instead. (Flight Environment X) at Flight 1.

Jay

I used to run it on my old HP laptop, Centrino Duo 1.83GHz, 2.0Gb RAM and a 128mb Geforce Go graphics chip (which eventually melted, but that's not relevant). REX ran fine, even with HD textures enabled. It's a seriously brilliant add on. I'd use the water too if I were you, some of the water sets are equally as amazing as the clouds, and it allows you to play around with the colour tones, resulting in much more realistic colour tailored to the environment you're flying in - I use a much more greenish colour for my water because I do most of my flying around the UK.Regards,Tom

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

If you want just clouds, take a look at FEX instead. (Flight Environment X) at Flight 1.
FEX does clouds, water and sky as well, although at this point, I think REX would be better value and better supported, especially at 50% off.EDIT - the 50% off doesn't start until December 1st as far as I can tell.

Even better, for free try Pablo Diaz's DXT cloud sets and find his remastered HDE sky set that another fellow reworked to use in FSX. Imho Pablos sky and clouds are still the best looking set around for a realistic look.I agree that FEX has better looking cloud sets that REX has. The REX sets always look super fake to me and have too much shadowing baked in.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

There is also a freeware program called Open Clouds.http://www.fsopen.co...are/openclouds/I am not certain whether it is only a Wx generator, or also adds its own cloud textures. BTW, I do have REX and love it. Try setting your clouds at 512x512. If you do not like the look, you can use the 1024x1024 option. It will put a little more strain on your system, but the clouds look nearly as crisp as the HD clouds. One more note...in FSX, set your cloud distance to no more than70km...that is more than enough for reality, and keep density to around medium. Good luck, and Shalom!Sherm

Thanks all for kind answers. I will investigate all options!!!All I want is super super realistic clouds for my screenshots!! SmilingAharon

signCopy.jpg