I want to create a RAID 0 in W7 Ultimate 64bit.I have three 300GB VRaps running.C:\OS and private foldersF:\FSXG:\ORBX,OZx,OZX_WorldUnfortunately i cannot afford a 600GB VRap,so i thought i do the following.First i copy FSX completely to an external drive.Then i create a RAID 0 with F: and G:Copy FSX from the external drive back to the new RAID 0.Will this work without doing a new installation of FSX?This is of course a Software RAID and i know the opinions about that.Thank youMichael

No you will need to do a fresh install of FSX. There are files that you cannot just copy over.

Jim,C: with the OS and registry will not be touched.Are there any more files i have to save?The last thing i need is to setup FSX again.Michael

You are going to need to re-install the OS so you are going to need to re-install FSX.

Ah, OK, C will not be touched. You might be able to get away with a copy attempt.

Jim,thank you.I am really not sure if this will work.The only way to find it out----i`ll have to try.Maybe,someone has an experience with this.Michael

Hi Mike, you know Raid0 is not really recommended and especially when software as opposed to hardware is used; right?

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Gary,i know.I only want to have one drive for FSX that is big enough for me.Michael

Guest jahman

Also separate HDDs are faster (less seek time).Cheers,- jahman.

Sure,but i have too less free space on my 300GB VRap for FSX.No money for a bigger one.Michael

So you are going to trade performance for space. Tough call. Although as bad as it is the hit from a software RAID *might* be better than a nearly full HDD. If it were me - rather than lose performance on FSX. I'd uninstall my least used add-ons to gain space. On one hand, you lose an add-on you like, on the other - you lose performance across the board.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

""you lose performance across the board.""Yepp---i forget this option.ThanksMichael

Guest jahman
...Although as bad as it is the hit from a software RAID *might* be better than a nearly full HDD....
Not alll RAIDs are created equal: Unlike RAIDs with ECC - Error Correction Codes that rely on XORs to be calculated on all the data as it is written and later read (the source for any reduction in BW), RAID 0 (HDD spanning) does not require any computations at all, so the difference between a hardware implementation via the southbridge chip (or specific Marvel HDD I/O chip with RAID) vs. a RAID-specific PCIe add-in board with dedicated RAID processors, will be minimal. Note these days RAID implementations in software are a thing of the past as RAID is implemented via hardware and just about all MBs sport RAID 0 and 1 at the minimum.RAID 0 arrays are more most fragile though, as a single disk crashing voids the data in all remaining drives.Cheers,- jahman.