Sign in to follow this  
FF35Pilot

MAX CLIMB mode - How does it work

Hello all,I use the PSS concorde, and I follow this procedure. (from takeoff)Reheat on, full throttle. At approx 190kts, nose up to approx 18 degrees.At 500' RA or 01:11 on the timer, reheats off, nose down to 250kts and throttle back, maintain 250kts with the pitch, Vis/0.at 4000' on the QNH, Visor up, and pitch down to around 8-10 degrees. When reaching FL100, set speed to 390kts and INS (GPS hold) on. Then I let the aircraft climb up to FL280.At FL280, I wait until coastline at around 400kts (apprx 0.95M) When I reach coastline, I turn off the A/T, put full throttle on, then activate reheat again and engage max climb.The aircraft sits there at around 100f/m, and won't climb. I have a gross weight of about 150,000Kg. I remember one time it actually worked and I got up to FL500 just over Ireland (before I found a load of real concorde Fpls) but I can't remember what I did.

You must set a new altitude eg. 55000 in the ALT window and engage ALTITUDE ACQUIRE mode. Then you engage MAX CLB.That should do it.Trevor

Forgot to mention doing that. Anyway, Concorde finally reached FL500 and M2.0 about 200nm south west of Ireland.

OK. I have a new problem... I get an overspeed warning, and I assume concorde should pitch up more to bring it back to Mmo or Vmo, but what happens is it just pitches down to no rate of climb and the speed just continues to climb... I have a temporary solution (switch to VERT SPEED mode for about 2 minutes)

Once at FL500, your CRZ ALT, you must engage the AT and then select the Mach hold option.Trevor

At about 50000 the mode should change from MAX Climb to MAX CRS . You continue the flight in MAX CRS and full dry power (no reheat). You do not use ALT AQU. Concorde should climb very slowly, and will spend periods at level flight or even descend depending on temperature/weight. It needs to get lighter before it can reach FL 55-60 You will only very rarely need to use ALT HLD.The correct method is to place one of the a/t switches on in a standby mode once you are in MAX CRS, this is modelled in the SSTSIM I use, but I am not sure about the PSS. This activates the a/t in an overspeed situation and reduces thrust to maintain M2.00.

Peter Schluter

I assume Mach hold is the PSS equivalent then. Anyways, I am trying the ideas out right now :) I'll let you know how it works.

I assume Mach hold is the PSS equivalent then. Anyways, I am trying the ideas out right now :) I'll let you know how it works.
No, MACH HLD (autothrottle) works the same in PSS as in SSTSIM and is simply a M speed hold. The single A/T standby mode I refer to is only used after MAX CRS is engaged. It is how the real concorde worked and I do not believe is modelled in PSS concorde(i used to use PSS version). When in this mode (in SSTSIM) the MACH HLD light will illuminate and throttle will retard untill speed drops back to M2.00, then the MACH HLD light will go out and you need to push the throttles back to full dry thrust yourself. As I said I dont think this is modelled in PSS but you could check the manuals in case i am wrong.

Peter Schluter

Sign in to follow this  

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.