Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

Guest jahman

Not at my FS PC at the moment, but iff it is possible to change the LOD at runtime, perhaps it might be possible to write an applet to monitor VAS and poke LOD changes into FSX to keep VAS (and other suitable RAM parameters that might correlated with CTDs) within a user-configurable comfort zone. FSUIPC4 comes to mind as the ideal candidate for this task.Cheers,- jahman.

I just tried that MissingLibraryAlert=1 tweak in my FSX.CFG (under scenery) and did a flight EDDF - EDDM using Aerosoft Photo Germany and both Mega Airports in the NGX. This tweak gives a pop up warning and allows you to continue on with the flight.Normally this route would cause the dreaded g3d.dll error. But this time while enroute I got the pop up warning saying "missing libraryXXXX" twice while enroute, once while 15NM out of EDDM. After clicking OK each time I was able to complete the flight, something I was unable to do before.(BTW Jahman, love that your dog has control, mine do too!)

Guest firehawk44
I got the error last night for the first time in at least a couple of years. It was clearly my fault. I put too many resources on the game by my fumbling with the external views buttons. I like going back and forth in views and usually hit the shift-S key or S key, then the shift-A or A keys, etc. I was arriving in Seattle from Boise with PNW scenery installed and Active Sky Evolution running and I was flying the PMDG 737-800. The skies looked nasty with huge clouds. I have my textures set to 4096 too. But instead of hitting the S or Shift S keys, I started hitting the Ctrl S and Ctrl A keys rapidly (like I said I was fumbling) as I was descending to KPAE to turn for landing at KSEA. Suddenly the screen froze and I knew exactly what happened. I put too many resources on the situation at one time. I am certain that I could complete this same flight again without incident and without changing any of my settings. I just need to stay in the cockpit and stop creating additional issues with the sim during landings. This is when there are intense actions taking place with the FMC trying to compute the landing, AES trying to download the latest weather and AES or FSX trying to render it, and the system trying to render the PNW scenery below. I just think I got the G3D.dll was at fault because it was being called at the time of the crash. It could have been the NTDLL.dll too. IMHO, it is definitely a resource management issue as it doesn't happen to everyone and never all the time.Best regards,Jim
Just for the record, what I said earlier (above) was completely wrong. Did the same flight from Boise to Seattle and it crashed at exactly the same spot as the previous crash. I'm going to see if it's a missing object or try it with a different aircraft, then the default weather, then turn on the default scenery instead of FTX/Orbx PNW (when I find time...). Best regards,Jim

Just for the record, what I said earlier (above) was completely wrong. Did the same flight from Boise to Seattle and it crashed at exactly the same spot as the previous crash. I'm going to see if it's a missing object or try it with a different aircraft, then the default weather, then turn on the default scenery instead of FTX/Orbx PNW (when I find time...).Best regards,Jim
Jim, an advice if you start testing: I found out that running 2x time produces same results, but it saves you bunch of time. Happy testing!

Guest firehawk44
I just tried that MissingLibraryAlert=1 tweak in my FSX.CFG (under scenery) and did a flight EDDF - EDDM using Aerosoft Photo Germany and both Mega Airports in the NGX. This tweak gives a pop up warning and allows you to continue on with the flight.Normally this route would cause the dreaded g3d.dll error. But this time while enroute I got the pop up warning saying "missing libraryXXXX" twice while enroute, once while 15NM out of EDDM. After clicking OK each time I was able to complete the flight, something I was unable to do before.(BTW Jahman, love that your dog has control, mine do too!)
I think you have hit upon the solution to this problem. As I understand it, the Microsoft dll G3D.dll calls various .bgl files for 3d graphics. I think the scenery is calling for these missing objects and the G3D.dll cannot find and render them and crashes. But, when you put that warning into your fsx.cfg, it will stop the sim and provide the warning of missing objects. You click 'ok' and continue on with your flight. I added that 'tweak' into my FSX.cfg under [scenery] as you stated. As I mentioned earlier I had 2 ctd's with the G3D.dll on a flight from Boise to Seattle using the PMDG 737 with AES real weather and FTX/Orbx PNW scenery. The CTD's were at the same spot, just before waypoint 'aubrn' using the Chin7 SID (think that's the name of the sid). Today I flew the same flight but disabled the PNW scenery and flew with the default scenery (ugh!). FPS went down to 6 a couple of times but mainly stayed above 17 fps. I had no CTD and landed. Tried another flight and reenabled FTX PNW but lowered the resolution of the FEX textures from 2096 to 2048. Just before the 'aubrn' waypoint where I had crashed before, I got the missing library object message 10 times. I clicked okay and the flight continued to KPAE and turned toward Seattle. At the anvil waypoint near downtown Seattle, I was hit with the missing library object messages again (10 times). I clicked okay and the flight landed. This was the first time I was able to fly a complete flight from Boise to Seattle using the PMDG 737 with AES real weather and FTX/Orbx PNW scenery. I had read over at the FTX website that the freeware 2S1 - Vashon Island might be at fault so I disabled Vashon Island in the Scenery Library while I had the previous flight still loaded. I flew the Chin7 SID over to KPAE and turned toward Seattle and this time NO warning messages came up. I have the latest scenery library objects from FTX/Orbx installed. It is obvious to me that Vashon Island, just off of Seattle is the problem for me. I think the solution for everyone who is suffering these G3D.dll crashes is to enable that "tweak" MissingLibraryAlert=1 under [scenery]. At least it has worked successfully for altstiff and me. I realize this 'tweak' has been around for some time but thanks altstiff for bringing it back up.Best regards,Jim
Jim, an advice if you start testing: I found out that running 2x time produces same results, but it saves you bunch of time. Happy testing!
Thanks Word Not Allowed for the suggestion. Actually I did it at 4x's but as you can see in my testing above, I probably only needed to fly around Seattle. I wanted to be sure though and I changed it to normal at the TOD.Best regards,Jim

Is it maybe possible to program something for FSUIPC to run in the background that will virtually press OK, or Enter, when that popup comes up? That would maybe be a solution to the big problem, not having user to have to press a button numerous times. I'm not a programmer so just asking...

Guest jahman

FSUIPC could detect FSX paused, log the GUID of the missing scenery element from the screen, then feed an "Enter" to close the window and have FSX continue. As I said previously, FSUIPC could also monitor (and log) VAS usage with location of the aircraft, so you could correlate any spikes in VAS to specific locations where an airport or city scenery are being loaded. FSUIPC is after all the swiss army knife of FSX!Pesonally I think this would be really useful as right know FSX crashes tend to drive lots of folks away from simming because debugging an FSX CTD is rather difficult, unsystematic and quite time consuming.And as I said before, having an app like FSUIPC keep CTDs at bay by diynamically reducing LOD as VAS usage increases would also be quite useful.Cheers,- jahman.

Just for the record Jim. They say (guys who know the FSX programming) that even on a vanilla FSX install you will get these errors. I'm sure with complex addon's we get them more often.As Word Not Allowed tested and said I think that the majority of these errors we are seeing have little to do with virtual address space limits problem. Maybe more to do with FSX searching for these missing files, does FSX keep looking if this line is not added to the CFG? Maybe when enough of these errors and missing files start to pile up it crashes the sim? Adding more complex airplanes and scenery only compounds the problem?

Thank's for this I got several time this problem.I will try that in Europe and let you know.

GuysJust my two cents worth. I was have the same issues espically around KSEA with orbx scenery. The fix that worked for me was to make sure that you have installed all the following object libraries:http://return.mistymoorings.com/cirp/#hEven if you don't have RTMM scenery installed, just install and active ALL the obj libs.Since installing these libs I have had no more erors either and no CTDand I still have MissingLibraryAlert=1in my fsx.cfgAnyway it worked for me.Regards

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image

Guest jahman
...Even if you don't have RTMM scenery installed, just install and active ALL the obj libs.Since installing these libs I have had no more erors either and no CTD
You mean the 12 object libraries?Or only the Object Library named RTMM?Please expand. Thanks!Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44
Just for the record Jim. They say (guys who know the FSX programming) that even on a vanilla FSX install you will get these errors. I'm sure with complex addon's we get them more often.As Word Not Allowed tested and said I think that the majority of these errors we are seeing have little to do with virtual address space limits problem. Maybe more to do with FSX searching for these missing files, does FSX keep looking if this line is not added to the CFG? Maybe when enough of these errors and missing files start to pile up it crashes the sim? Adding more complex airplanes and scenery only compounds the problem?
I agree and knew that about loading a vanilla FSX but I had to include everything in my testing to make sure it wasn't one of the other things I had loaded. At least, with the 'tweak' you suggested, the chances of a CTD have been reduced significantly. I would just like to edit something in my desertation above where I mentioned the Chin7 SID. I meant the Chin7 STAR as I was following an arrival route into KSEA. I lost tons of sleep last night thinking about that....Best regards,Jim
GuysJust my two cents worth. I was have the same issues espically around KSEA with orbx scenery. The fix that worked for me was to make sure that you have installed all the following object libraries:http://return.mistym...ngs.com/cirp/#hEven if you don't have RTMM scenery installed, just install and active ALL the obj libs.Since installing these libs I have had no more erors either and no CTDand I still have MissingLibraryAlert=1in my fsx.cfgAnyway it worked for me.Regards
Good info. Thanks!Best regards,Jim

I read with great interest all your posts and in the meantime I continued flying.....I made some interesting tests. I repeated three typical "CTD flights": LFMN-EDDM, LFMN-EDDF, LFMN-EBBR. Aircraft was PMDG737 NGX, major addons installed REX2 (with O/D), GEX, UTX, Aerosoft EBBR, LFMN, EDDM, EDDF, and ASE on networked laptop. Usually I can never complete any of those flights because of CTD, always occurring in the same location close to final destination.....very annoying.... Then I deactivated the destination airports and used default airports: no CTD at all......all flights completed more than once without CTD.Then I reactivated the Aerosoft Airports and deactivated UTX: no CTD at all....all flights completed successfully.Then I reactivated both Aerosoft apts and UTX and ...here we are again...CTD on all three flights.Important to highlight that in none of the crashed flights the PC resources were pushed at their boundaries. I used FSX in windowed mode so that I could have part of the desktop visible at all time during flight and I kept under control the screens of GPU-Z, CPU-Z, Real Temp and PC task manager on Performance section. CPU was running around 70% of the load, with random peaks at 90% (no affinity mask tweak used), GPU was a rock steady 40% loaded with GPU memory max usage 850 Mb (peak value...the average was around 450 Mb).Guys, I don't think CTDs are resource related....I bet they are the results of some conflicts between different add-ons. I'll start a thread based on this post on Aerosoft and Ultimate Terrainf forums and see what happens.....Regards

AMD Ryzen 7800x3d, Asus ROG Strix RTX4090, Asus x670e-e, G-Skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR

I read with great interest all your posts and in the meantime I continued flying.....I made some interesting tests. I repeated three typical "CTD flights": LFMN-EDDM, LFMN-EDDF, LFMN-EBBR. Aircraft was PMDG737 NGX, major addons installed REX2 (with O/D), GEX, UTX, Aerosoft EBBR, LFMN, EDDM, EDDF, and ASE on networked laptop.Usually I can never complete any of those flights because of CTD, always occurring in the same location close to final destination.....very annoying....Then I deactivated the destination airports and used default airports: no CTD at all......all flights completed more than once without CTD.Then I reactivated the Aerosoft Airports and deactivated UTX: no CTD at all....all flights completed successfully.Then I reactivated both Aerosoft apts and UTX and ...here we are again...CTD on all three flights.Important to highlight that in none of the crashed flights the PC resources were pushed at their boundaries. I used FSX in windowed mode so that I could have part of the desktop visible at all time during flight and I kept under control the screens of GPU-Z, CPU-Z, Real Temp and PC task manager on Performance section. CPU was running around 70% of the load, with random peaks at 90% (no affinity mask tweak used), GPU was a rock steady 40% loaded with GPU memory max usage 850 Mb (peak value...the average was around 450 Mb).Guys, I don't think CTDs are resource related....I bet they are the results of some conflicts between different add-ons.I'll start a thread based on this post on Aerosoft and Ultimate Terrainf forums and see what happens.....Regards
Yes even vanilla FSX has GUID errors, nothing can be done about that, unless you know how to create 'dummy objects' with the same GUID (way beyond me). Also beware that some addon scenery also have 'missing objects', and as you have found that by disabling the addon scenery the GUID error disappears. Also by having the 'MissingLibraryAlert=1' in your fsx.cfg, it will help prevent the CTD when FSX cannot find the object.Why, this works, again no idea, but it does.As I stated earlier, since I have installed ALL the object libs I now have NO GUID errorsIn fact I get no CTD anymore, unless its operator error, or I ask FSX to do to much.Before I was getting, what I thought was 'random' CTD's, but in fact there was some 'FSX logic' why it was happeningHope that is helpfulRegards

Clive Joy

beta.gif

Posted Image