Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

Guest firehawk44
I have changed my mind on this thing too many times Loser.gifBut I really don't know what to think. Editing this post a 3rd time already.Just now lowered everything to FSX max, and still, my NGX test flight EGLL-EBBR crashed when it came up to EBBR. VAS usage was 2.9gb.But I also have default FSX aircraft loaded just before EBBR, and it crashes if I put LOD 10.5 (usage around 3gb), and doesn't crash if I leave usage at 4.5 (VAS around 1.8gb).So now it comes down to the fact that it's gonna be impossible to fly NGX with decent settings, because engine is being overloaded? Come on... if it comes to that, I might as well leave FSX.
Unfortunately, I think you can only take an old engine so far....Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
Hi Jim,On my system, I got g3d.dll everytime I flew from Lanai toward Honolulu and Maui always at the same spot near Dillingham field and before I get to PHOG , it can be a Skymaster or NGX, LOD4.5 or 7.5 , VAS can be as low as 3.5. Yes g3d.dll can happen in Hawaii ( beside Seattle and Orbx...). I boot up my backup drive and run the same flight and found no problem. I reinstall UTX and UT2, FSDT PHNL and Hawaiian Airports, use fsx.cfg from the good drive and so far from the last 10 days I flew back and forth the same route and never get the error ( even with lod6.5). I don't know which one solved my problem.There is some difference in the cfg file like affinilty mask, fiber frame time fraction..... I enclosed the 2 files just for your information.FSX.cfg that didn't give the error:
Hi Jimmy! Nice to see you posting here. Hope things are well in Honolulu! It's hard for me to analze an FSX.cfg but I will look it over and provide feedback if I see something glaring at me. One thing, as NickN suggested in his FSX Tune Up article, you should have autogen set to at least normal as FSX was developed to show autogen and, if it is inhibited, then that places more on system resources. So this is my [Terrain] section:[TERRAIN]LOD_RADIUS=3.500000MESH_COMPLEXITY=72MESH_RESOLUTION=23TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=27AUTOGEN_DENSITY=2DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=6TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=800SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10As I stated earlier, the developer at Orbx/FTX recommends that some of us lower our settings as extreme and high settings are contributing to the g3d.dll error. The max LOD the FSX programmers developed fsx for was 4.5 but some are going much, much higher. I lowered mine to medium or 3.5 and I really see little difference in graphics from 4.5. You have the AEModule.dll installed and I had some issues with that when it was first released (forget what), and uninstalled it. It could have been taking up additional resources. John V over at Orbx/FTX talks about people installing all kinds of additional programs that are taking up additional resources and, if we have too many, it could lead to these crashes too (not saying the programs are bad as they are not, but they use system resources). I think he mentioned EZCA as one of those programs. Have you tried saving your FSX.cfg to FSX.orig (so you can go back to it) then restarting FSX and letting the system rebuild it and give you the default FSX.cfg settings, then fly that same route where you got those crashes 100% of the time to see if that fixes the problem? If it does, then you will see you have your settings set too high and your 'tweaks' may be causing issues too. It's complicated but what I did yesterday works for me. Hopefully, people smarter than me will find a solution where we can raise our settings higher. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

As I stated earlier, the developer at Orbx/FTX recommends that some of us lower our settings as extreme and high settings are contributing to the g3d.dll error. The max LOD the FSX programmers developed fsx for was 4.5 but some are going much, much higher. I lowered mine to medium or 3.5 and I really see little difference in graphics from 4.5. You have the AEModule.dll installed and I had some issues with that when it was first released (forget what), and uninstalled it. It could have been taking up additional resources. John V over at Orbx/FTX talks about people installing all kinds of additional programs that are taking up additional resources and, if we have too many, it could lead to these crashes too (not saying the programs are bad as they are not, but they use system resources). I think he mentioned EZCA as one of those programs. Have you tried saving your FSX.cfg to FSX.orig (so you can go back to it) then restarting FSX and letting the system rebuild it and give you the default FSX.cfg settings, then fly that same route where you got those crashes 100% of the time to see if that fixes the problem?
Hi Jim, I'm so spoiled with LOD6.5, with LOD4.5 on the outside spot view the ground has some sections really blurry. I will remove the AE module .Please read my post again, somehow what I did really solved my g3d.dll, I have been flying for the last 11 days without any g3d.dll popping up anymore.Best regards,Jimmy

Intel® Core™ i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz (Turbo 4.7GHz), 2TB Patriot ViperVP4100 NVMe M.2 SSD , 3TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache HDD, 64GB DDR4/3000MHz Quad ChMemory, EVGA GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ FTW3 HYDRO COPPER GAMING 8GB GDDR6 (Custom Water Block), Samsung QLED 32”, Windows 98😀

Guest firehawk44
Hi Jim, I'm so spoiled with LOD6.5, with LOD4.5 on the outside spot view the ground has some sections really blurry. I will remove the AE module .Please read my post again, somehow what I did really solved my g3d.dll, I have been flying for the last 11 days without any g3d.dll popping up anymore.Best regards,Jimmy
Hi Jimmy, I'm not saying the AE Module takes up a lot of resources and part of the problem. It's just that every program we install on top of FSX takes up some resources. I would leave AE Module installed if you are not getting g3d.dll errors. I will have to copy and paste your fsx.cfg sections of your FSX.cfg and see if it works for me too. Glad to hear it's not causing you a problem anymore but I had the same feeling last week and thought my problem was fixed too then the g3d crashes started again.Best regards,Jim

Interesting topic. I hope someone finds a solution. All I know is that on my previous pc (i7 920@3.3, GTX285, 6 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit) I never ever had CTD's but on my i5 2500@4.5, GTX580. 8 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit) I have them constanly (with more advanced addon aircraft and the same graphic settings (which are very high, but I used them on my old rig, so why can't I now...?). I do also know the CTD's are going away when I lower settings like autogen, but I don't want to because I could use those high settings on my old pc and I didn't buy a new pc to use lower settings...

Interesting topic. I hope someone finds a solution. All I know is that on my previous pc (i7 920@3.3, GTX285, 6 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit) I never ever had CTD's but on my i5 2500@4.5, GTX580. 8 GB Ram, Windows 7 64 bit) I have them constanly (with more advanced addon aircraft and the same graphic settings (which are very high, but I used them on my old rig, so why can't I now...?). I do also know the CTD's are going away when I lower settings like autogen, but I don't want to because I could use those high settings on my old pc and I didn't buy a new pc to use lower settings...
Yes, but you didn't use the NGX on your old rig, now did you? Most of those g3d.dll's started with NGX. NGX taxes the system so much, that other addons start crashing the sim.Apparently those missing objects are probably the key, but without a program to write those GUIDs automatically, we are going nowhere.I'm in the process now of reinstalling FSX - I don't care since flying doesn't make fun any more like this. I'll probably make a break until things straighten up.Something must have changed in the computer also, that it probably doesn't handle FSX very well?! Bluntly said, maybe too fast for FSX's engine?

Something that has been mentioned on this thread:I've been flying for the past 15min on 4x speed over Europe, with MLA turned on on the fresh FSX+SP2 installation, no addon scenery whatsoever - no errors as of yet.FSX.cfg is the same as on the full installation, LOD_RADIUS is cranked up to 16.5 to cause the high VAS usage, currently 3.8GB in the flight...

Want to thank those in this thread for helping me successfully complete my first landing at KSEA without a CTD in over a year.Started having CTD's with gd3.dll and the NGX only recently (and by recent I mean only last couple of weeks). Have been flying it since release without any problems, and no change at all to my system. Suddenly these errors started popping up, and came here, noticing this thread.Just flew ORD-SEA. Deleted ORBX 2S1 (though not sure that was the culprit), and on final between MGNUM and ANVIL for 16C, received a bunch of scenery errors, and thankfully was able to click through them and land the flight.On a side note, have noticed an uptick in people reporting these CTD's. Could it be related to a seasonal change within FSX?Anyway, thanks for the MissingLibraryAlert=1 pointer. Hopefully the offending scenery elements can get rooted out.

7900X OC @ 4.8GHz | ASRock Fatal1ty X299 Professional | 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (SLI) | 32GB G.Skill DDR4 2800

Sorry to stir the pot up with this one, but here goes.Same usual suspects, NGX, Orbx and everything else. I was having g3d.dll errors consistently over the OLM Vor in PNY with my OCed 9650 and a GTX285. Solved my issues first by removing the Affinity mask tweak. Unfortunately, this only reduced the errors. Then I rolled back to a very old driver that some believe to be the best Nvidea driver of them all, 182.50. This totally resolved the errors. Then like an idiot, I went out and got a GTX560ti and installed the card and new drivers without letting FSX build a new fsx.cfg file. This led to the g3d.dll errors again. I then started adjusting ram timing and worked on making the memory environment as rock solid as I could through the bios. This reduced the random g3d.dll's and also removed entirely any random freeze, lockup, or fullscreen/windowed switch error I might get. The system seemed more stable then ever, but....... I was still able to get a 100% repeatable g3d.dll error over the OLM Vor in PNW. It didn'r matter if I was flying, slewing, with FMC, without FMC, weather, no weather, nothing mattered really. Then I deleted my fsx config and let fsx rebuild it. I didn't change anything and flew the flight with the PMDG from setac to 10 miles past OLM. No crash. I then started adding this tweak and that tweak one by one to the cfg file and testing after each change. Lucky for me, the crash was repeatable even in slew mode, so I was able to do each test in less than 5 minutes. After all was said and done, my system is now completely stable, no g3d.dll crashes over OLM, or anywhere else for that matter. For this particular system, the one causing the error was any mention of "poolsize=x". It didn't matter what the value of "x" was the system for some reason does not like that fsx.cfg entry.Same computer, different vid drivers and different vid card had different solutions for me. After doing lots of reading lately on how FSX moves data from CPU to ram to video card, in my humble and possibly wrong opinion, I believe that we are having a memory management issue and that it is being caused by huge amounts of data (latest Scenery addons and very hi resolution VC's) being moved in a very ineficient way (FSX) while the CPU is being worked extremely hard by newer aircraft addons (NGX.dll's) resulting in data being missed, corrupted or skipped because FSX was not coded with the flow management needed to do what we may be asking it to do.I think the solution will be different for each system, and if you haven't tried deleting your fsx.cfg file and letting fsx rebuild it, then it's a great start.JB

Guest jahman
...we are having a memory management issue and that it is being caused by huge amounts of data...
Why aren't you posting your max VAS useage (as I suggested here)?Cheers,- jahman.

Why aren't you posting your max VAS useage (as I suggested here)?Cheers,- jahman.
If you can tell me how to get an accurate VAS of just FSX, then I would be happy to. But as of right now, I am running FSX, EFB, Track IR, FSinn Control Panel and EZdok all of which are using system Virtual Memory, not to mention all the other stuff from bootup thats running. I can give you a total of SYSTEM virtual memory usage at the time of the OLD crashes and a peak usage since boot, but that won't help, since what you really want to know is the VAS of FSX and all it's asociated dll.s only. Unless you know of a way to get an acurate sum of memory JUST BEING USED BY FSX, then it's not gonna be any help. Plus I just read this thread for the first time 10 minutes before I posted.PS. Given the complexity and load the newer addons are imposing on FSX, we may be seeing the begining of the end of FSX. A year or two down the road, the most feasable option may very well be Prepar3d. If you visit their forum, you might be happy to see that some of the original FSX/ESP coders (Aces) are continuing development and creating a solution for a company that expects longevity. In the next week or two, I will be jumping on board, hoping that all our beloved 3rd party devs do as well.JB

Lately I've been installing a lot of AI for PHNL, and now about 50% of the time I get a gd3.dll termination while in the initial load when AI is loading. I don't think in my case VAS has anything to do with it. If I can get to load complete then I haven't had any problems.scott s..

Guest jahman
If you can tell me how to get an accurate VAS of just FSX, then I would be happy to
Task Manager/Menu/View/Select Columns:1. Working Set Memory,2. Peak Working Set Memory,then report what you see for fsx.exe.
...In the next week or two, I will be jumping on board, hoping that all our beloved 3rd party devs do as well.
So wll I, if Flight is released and it's not compatible with FSX for scenery and aircraft :(

Task Manager/Menu/View/Select Columns:1. Working Set Memory,2. Peak Working Set Memory,then report what you see for fsx.exe.
Jahman, seriously, after all this time? Since when does Task Manager report correct VAS?

I also think that FSX is becoming heavier and heavier with huge addons and whatnot and it simply isn't build for that... Nor is it build for all that shiny new hardware. The funny things is that even that shiny new hardware won't let me run FSX smoothly with an fps if 60 all the time. If I don't use the bufferpools tweak, fps is below 20 in way too many places. Guess I (we?) will have to get used to saving the gameevery few minutes and simply reload it after yet another appcrash.