Sign in to follow this  
Eziocin

g3d.dll......help ..!

Yeah it's Orbx. I guess I'm just a bit ######... they say Orbx scnenery doesn't cause these issues. Yet when I disable orbx I have no issues....What they really mean is "we don't know what causes the crashes with out scenery so we'll just claim it's not our fault."FWIW I was flying KAST AST V112 BTG KPDX at 7000, with the Flight1 T182. about 20 west of BTG I got the crash.
It's not just ORBX stuff that causes this though. I get it with VFR Germany as well as Aerosoft EDDF or EBBR for example, and only when flying the NGX. It's a combination of high spec addons that taxes FSX. I can fly ORBX all day in any other airplane but the NGX.....

Yeah it's Orbx. I guess I'm just a bit ######... they say Orbx scnenery doesn't cause these issues. Yet when I disable orbx I have no issues....What they really mean is "we don't know what causes the crashes with out scenery so we'll just claim it's not our fault."FWIW I was flying KAST AST V112 BTG KPDX at 7000, with the Flight1 T182. about 20 west of BTG I got the crash.
Ryan,Don't you think that is a bit unfair? To suggest that it is ORBX's fault is disproved right in this thread by the numerous attested g3d.dll crashes when flying near large european payware addon airports. There are also testimonies of people having fixed their CTD problems while flying in ORBX sceneries, with me being one of them.
ORBX is causing them issues.Yeah, that's their way of making business, apparently. I think they do know what the problem is, but can't solve it, and to solve it, probably would need to do a lot of background work or it's not even possible... but hey, let's make the money.
SrdanWhoa, wait a minute partner! To state that ORBX effectively mistells the truth of knowingly being the cause of G3D.dll CTDs because of a profit motive is disingenuous at best, and could be taken for a whole lot worse. We had all better be careful here in our deliberations and not go too far by making charges or passing judgments on anyone's integrity.Kind regards,

SrdanWhoa, wait a minute partner! To state that ORBX "mistells" the known truth of being the cause of G3D.dll CTDs because of a profit motive is disingenious at best, and could be taken for a whole lot worse. It seems more like a judgment on their integrity more than an analysis of what the problem is. We had all better be careful here of our statements going way too far in our deliberations.Kind regards,
You're right, I went a bit harsh ahead.All I wanted to say is that a scenery that is using a lot of textures, and those are also as Al said some AS sceneries, together with Orbx sceneries, causing g3d.dlls. It's both FSX's engine not being able to cope with it, BUT: as we've seen, it's apparently avoidable. Take for instance FSDT, Flytampa, their sceneries look no less than Aerosoft's, and they are not crashing.Let me put it this way: in Orbx and specific Aerosoft sceneries you are bound to get g3d.dll before you will get OOM error. I want to be able to push the FSX to the OOM if I want to. That's the hard limit. g3d.dll is caused by a massive texture usage, which is possible to prevent.And the worst thing in the end is: none of them is going to admit that, even if that is the problem, which became apparent the moment we started using NGX. And what is NGX doing? Pushing the VAS so high UP, that we can't use texture-heavy sceneries... blah blah blah... and that is why I said the thing with the money. Those sceneries haven't been tested thorougly, using high VAS usage as a factor. I think I should start expressing myself better!

As I sated. it's absurd to blame it on one developer, especially ORBX. As per John's explanation, if they knew what it was they would have fixed it. I believe that FTX will fix any issues with their software. I can't say the same thing about other developers, like Aerosoft. I too have been plagued with CTDs and everytime I think I found the solution, I get another g3d.dll CTD. I hope that all developers look deper into this problem. It doesn't make sense to me to have all this beautiful scenery if it isn't reliable.JMO.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Guest firehawk44
So the SmallPartRejectRadius=1 tweak with a new fsx.cfg as I outlined on the previous page did not stop your G3d CTD's? Did you at least try?Best regards,Jim
As I sated. it's absurd to blame it on one developer, especially ORBX. As per John's explanation, if they knew what it was they would have fixed it. I believe that FTX will fix any issues with their software. I can't say the same thing about other developers, like Aerosoft. I too have been plagued with CTDs and everytime I think I found the solution, I get another g3d.dll CTD. I hope that all developers look deper into this problem. It doesn't make sense to me to have all this beautiful scenery if it isn't reliable.JMO.
Same question for you DJ. Did you try the fix I found working for me? It's a long thread on the previous page (I think it's on the previous page....).Best regards,Jim

So the SmallPartRejectRadius=1 tweak with a new fsx.cfg as I outlined on the previous page did not stop your G3d CTD's? Did you at least try?Best regards,JimSame question for you DJ. Did you try the fix I found working for me? It's a long thread on the previous page (I think it's on the previous page....).Best regards,Jim
Jim, I understand that not having this line in there is the same as having "SmallPartRejectRadius=1". The only time it would be active is with a valu larger than 1?

Jim, I tried SmallPartRejectRadius=1 2,3, 4 and even 5, still same G3D crash with Orbx PNW, with the same flight KORS/KPDX @ 6000 with the Carenado t210, at EXACTLY 80 nm from KPDX over and over...Alain from Montreal

Guest firehawk44
Jim, I understand that not having this line in there is the same as having "SmallPartRejectRadius=1". The only time it would be active is with a valu larger than 1?
That is not my understanding from Phil Taylor's post - http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/05/15/new-tweaks-in-sp1.aspx. Are you saying that if the line is not in the fsx.cfg, fsx is automatically going to reject 1 pixels? If that were true, why would FSDT be putting it in their list of tweaks for people who want it. Plus, I tested my vanilla fsx.cfg w/o the 'tweak' and got the g3d CTD. I added the tweak and I no longer got the g3d CTD but did get a NTDL and AI_Player.dll CTD spontaneously. As I stated, fixed thoses CTD's by changing some of my memory settings in the bios. I have not gotten any CTD with the new fsx.cfg (knocking on wood). I posted the relevant parts of my fsx settings in that post. Individuals who want to do a fairly quick check to see if it works for them can simply make a copy of their fsx.cfg, then copy and paste the relevant sections I provided into their fsx.cfg. That will save you from having to start with a rebuilt config which can be a pain in the butt to configure. Just adding the tweak into your current fsx.cfg will most likely NOT work. If it works with my settings great! If not, you can always go back to the fsx.cfg copy.Best regards,Jim

Guest firehawk44
Jim, I tried SmallPartRejectRadius=1 2,3, 4 and even 5, still same G3D crash with Orbx PNW, with the same flight KORS/KPDX @ 6000 with the Carenado t210, at EXACTLY 80 nm from KPDX over and over...Alain from Montreal
Thanks for the input. The location where you got the CTD is almost exactly where I always got my g3d CTD (near the ARVAD waypoint) only I was going toward KSEA. I hope you try the suggestion I made to altstiff above about copying your fsx.cfg, then editing your config with the values I had posted. Adding the SmallPartRejectRadius tweak to your current config will most likely not work as you probably have larger values for terrain and other tweaks you might have added. As I stated, I only used the HighMemFix and SmallPartReject tweaks. If it works, then you can start testing at a higher LOD radius if that's what you want until it crashes again. Then you will know what your system can handle.Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman

I suggest folks with repeatable GD3 CTDs:

1. Exchange flight plans,
  2. Synch barebones sceneries that are being loaded, and
  3. Make sure you are using the same tweaks in the fsx.cfg

If you don't do this, being there are so many variables, you will keep putzing around trying to solve the GD3 CTD until Kingdom Come (or MS Flight is released, whichever comes first.)Just my $0.02.Cheers,- jahman.

So the SmallPartRejectRadius=1 tweak with a new fsx.cfg as I outlined on the previous page did not stop your G3d CTD's? Did you at least try?Best regards,JimSame question for you DJ. Did you try the fix I found working for me? It's a long thread on the previous page (I think it's on the previous page....).Best regards,Jim
Yes. I did state that I manually entered the tweak. I also tried 1, 2, 3 etc etc etceteraaa.

That is not my understanding from Phil Taylor's post - http://blogs.msdn.co...aks-in-sp1.aspx. Are you saying that if the line is not in the fsx.cfg, fsx is automatically going to reject 1 pixels? If that were true, why would FSDT be putting it in their list of tweaks for people who want it. Plus, I tested my vanilla fsx.cfg w/o the 'tweak' and got the g3d CTD. I added the tweak and I no longer got the g3d CTD but did get a NTDL and AI_Player.dll CTD spontaneously. As I stated, fixed thoses CTD's by changing some of my memory settings in the bios. I have not gotten any CTD with the new fsx.cfg (knocking on wood). I posted the relevant parts of my fsx settings in that post. Individuals who want to do a fairly quick check to see if it works for them can simply make a copy of their fsx.cfg, then copy and paste the relevant sections I provided into their fsx.cfg. That will save you from having to start with a rebuilt config which can be a pain in the butt to configure. Just adding the tweak into your current fsx.cfg will most likely NOT work. If it works with my settings great! If not, you can always go back to the fsx.cfg copy.Best regards,Jim
I don't know what to think at this point!http://fsxtimes.word...rtrejectradius/http://www.fsdreamte...pic=3832.5;wap2Some conflicting info for sure. I tend to listen to Phil more than anyone. This problem sure is an enigma, and something I think we will never get rid of with out some sort of sacrafice (not flying in high detail scenery or not using a high detail aircraft).EDIT: Maybe post SP1 the default was cahnged to a higher value?

Guest firehawk44
I don't know what to think at this point!http://fsxtimes.word...rtrejectradius/http://www.fsdreamte...pic=3832.5;wap2Some conflicting info for sure. I tend to listen to Phil more than anyone. This problem sure is an enigma, and something I think we will never get rid of with out some sort of sacrafice (not flying in high detail scenery or not using a high detail aircraft).EDIT: Maybe post SP1 the default was cahnged to a higher value?
I liked the comment at fsxtimes - some people have reported this tweak doesn't work after SP1. Uh.... how could they tell whether it worked or not???? Respectfully I cannot believe your comment that we will never get rid of this problem without some sort of sacrafice (SIC) (not flying in high detail scenery or not using a high detail aircraft). If you would read my long post where I showed positively that I fixed my g3d CTD's using high detail scenery (PNW, KSEA, PMDG737NGX, real weather with extreme weather conditions). Others, like SpiritFlyer above, has fixed their problem using my recommendations too. The tweak is still good and the link I provided to Phil's Blog shows that they also recommend 2 or 4 pixels. I have never tried anything but 1 as 1 works for me. Since I fixed the g3d CTD's that occurred 100% of the time at certain locations in the PNW scenery, I have done several subsequent flights and still no CTD's. Did you try my simple suggestion of copying your FSX.cfg and then copying and pasting my values into your fsx.cfg? It might work....Jim

Guest firehawk44
Yes. I did state that I manually entered the tweak. I also tried 1, 2, 3 etc etc etceteraaa.
I certainly hope I am not boring you! Your comments above are totally out of line and disgusting to me. I spent hours and hours during several days working on my 'fix' and posted it here in hopes it would help others like you. You didn't even answer my question about checking out my long post and trying the recommend fixes with the recommend settings. Just that you manually entered the tweak etc., etc. Very negative input to me. People who have this problem should be interested to know that someone (me) and others have fixed their g3d ctd using my suggestions. As I have stated several times now, just entering the SmallPartReject tweak in the Scenery section will most likely not fix your CTD. You have to remove other tweaks and set your settings like mine. If you get it to working, then you can start increasing detail, etc. Now I suggest making a copy of your fsx.cfg and editing your current config with just the settings I posted. That way your Trusted section will remain in tact and some of your other setting too, like your controller. If you want to contribute, then try out my suggestions and report back whether it worked for you or not. That's positive input to this discussion!Jim Young

I certainly hope I am not boring you! Your comments above are totally out of line and disgusting to me. I spent hours and hours during several days working on my 'fix' and posted it here in hopes it would help others like you. You didn't even answer my question about checking out my long post and trying the recommend fixes with the recommend settings. Just that you manually entered the tweak etc., etc. Very negative input to me. People who have this problem should be interested to know that someone (me) and others have fixed their g3d ctd using my suggestions. As I have stated several times now, just entering the SmallPartReject tweak in the Scenery section will most likely not fix your CTD. You have to remove other tweaks and set your settings like mine. If you get it to working, then you can start increasing detail, etc. Now I suggest making a copy of your fsx.cfg and editing your current config with just the settings I posted. That way your Trusted section will remain in tact and some of your other setting too, like your controller. If you want to contribute, then try out my suggestions and report back whether it worked for you or not. That's positive input to this discussion!Jim Young
Jim,I did not mean to offend you. If I did, please accept my sincere apologies. I will look closely at your cfg settings and see if they work on my system.