Sign in to follow this  
curt1

SWA skimps on options

The updated Southwest Airlines livery reflects the current options of the airline. They have no minimums callout, no GPWS callouts, no V1 callout, and also use the old analog standby attitude indicator. Clearly, SWA doesn't want a computer talking to their pilots. Would this be a matter of safety or economics?

I would imagine it's pilot preference. Those guys love to hand fly at every opportunity.Most airlines tend to listen to what their pilots want but also have to take into account economics.If they didn't, the pilots would ask for Ipads, Iphones, sexy cabin crew etc......etc........LOL.gif

Southwest is more anti-computer than any other airline I know about. I think it is actually more safer, the way they operate. For example, their aircraft don't have the ability to perform an autoland if I remember correctly.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

A lot of this makes sense, but having no EGPWS callouts seems a little over the top, even by their standards. Then again, I´ve never heard of a CFIT event that was averted due to ######ing betty. From this VFR PP´s perspective, she starts yapping when it´s way too late. Maybe someone will correct me on this.Also, not listening to pilots who simply want sexier flight attendants is ridiculous.

Up until recently they had no auto throttles. Very basically, this saved money with maintenance. Recently SWA has re-activated the auto throttle systems as it turns out the AT system makes the aircraft more economical...

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

A lot of this makes sense, but having no EGPWS callouts seems a little over the top, even by their standards. Then again, I´ve never heard of a CFIT event that was averted due to ######ing betty. From this VFR PP´s perspective, she starts yapping when it´s way too late. Maybe someone will correct me on this.Also, not listening to pilots who simply want sexier flight attendants is ridiculous.
Back when the basic GPWS existed (60s through the invention of EGPWS, when the GPWS sounded your &@($* was handed to you in a few seconds. Basically enough time to firewall it and pull up before you hit something hard. Now with EGPWS, you have the 2500 call and others way before you're about to hit something hard. This is all to the best of my recollection as I read that somewhere some time ago...Now with the sexy flight attendants, haven't seen those yet.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

From what I understand, they liked having their pilots engaged and having to re-trim the plane with thrust or altitude changes. They believed it increased their situational awareness.Hard to argue with their safety record.Colin Ware

My understanding of the whole rather 'basic' Southwest NG's was simply an issue of commonality with older -300 airframes and operating procedures proven over the 2+ decades they've operated.Don't hear much about them in Canada but I heard they're even equipping some of their lower-cycle "Classics" with NG style cockpits.I'm pretty confident it's not an issue of a "anti-computer" corporate culture or anything on those lines. It's refreshing to see something in the aviation industry focused on the simple truths of getting there safely and effectively, and not being caught up in the whole "latest and greatest phase" that big airlines seem to go through.

Southwest is more anti-computer than any other airline I know about. I think it is actually more safer, the way they operate. For example, their aircraft don't have the ability to perform an autoland if I remember correctly.
So ... these guys are not going to shoot any CATIII approaches where autoland is required?

Dave P. Woycek

bpcw they use HUD for that AFAIK
Didn't know that was an option from the FAA regulations point of view.But if you have CAT IIIc conditions, using a HUD with no visual cues doesn't do the trick either?

Dave P. Woycek

No, in CAT IIIc definitely not. As I understand it, most B737 are not even theoretically able to do IIIc since they have no rollout guidance. That said, I know about fail operative option, but I have no idea if it is c or b. I believe HUGS based systems are limited to CAT IIIa, but dont quote me on that. While we are on that topic, apparently the 737 (and PMDG) HUGS can provide flare guidance and runway outline, and I am looking forward to playing with that one particular system.

So ... these guys are not going to shoot any CATIII approaches where autoland is required?
From what I've heard, they hand fly all approaches and landings.They did upgrade all their classics, or were in the process, to makethem RNAV compatible with the NG's. Also, supposedly they havedone away with the EFIS-MAP display for the NG's, and have goneto PFD-ND. They did use the EFIS-MAP to be classic compatible,but since they upgraded the classics, there was no need to continueusing that in the NG's.The changes were done to save fuel. But I think they are stillquite manual when it comes to flying approaches and landings.I don't work there, so you would have to take anything I say witha grain of salt.. :/