Sign in to follow this  
Simmo W

Good coverage of xp10 announcements

Seems like it's all about X-plane..I'm trying to get some info on that Vrinsight Overhead I see.

This quote is a bit worrying: "The beta Austin used crashed several times, and according to him because of memory errors caused by the use of the multiple cores. This problem will probably not be solved before the first release!"Sounds like they'll be using the "ship it now, patch it later" development model.

This quote is a bit worrying: "The beta Austin used crashed several times, and according to him because of memory errors caused by the use of the multiple cores. This problem will probably not be solved before the first release!"Sounds like they'll be using the "ship it now, patch it later" development model.
you know that xplane is in a continuous patch mode..... whats current version 9.7?

I'm not especially familiar with X-Plane, no. Frequent updates is fine. Shipping a product with significant stability issues and the promise that they'll patch it later, not so much.

I'm not especially familiar with X-Plane, no. Frequent updates is fine. Shipping a product with significant stability issues and the promise that they'll patch it later, not so much.
As Tierborn has stated, XPlane is always a work in progress. They will update incrementally up until the next version. ie: XP11As far as releasing something with bugs, and such. Look at the Bull that MSFS released and promised. FSX DIDN'T run as advertised The famous DX10 renders.XPlane as I've stated above is always being tweaked, and updated. That's they way it is.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

"That`s the way it is."It´s never that easy.And what´s the point with FSX here? Isn´t that a weird argument: X-Plane10 crashes several times (during 1 hour) out of the box - but "Hey! FSX did it too or was even worse, hahaha." What kind of enjoyment to you get from that? I always feel ashamed and stupid when I cop myself thinking that way.I like patches, bugfixes and improvements. Who does not? But to expect at least a quite stable version to start with is a fair expectation for a commercial product nonetheless. And I would expect that from my own product too. You can´t step behind this point in my opinion. Even if people may be satisfied with less.

The fact of the matter is this.I've rarely seen ANY software product released that DIDN'T have any type of bugs.Would I like a product that didn't, of course.It's something we have to deal with, whether or not we like it.

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

The fact of the matter is this.I've rarely seen ANY software product released that DIDN'T have any type of bugs.Would I like a product that didn't, of course.It's something we have to deal with, whether or not we like it.
Of course there will be unknown bugs after release, even some serious ones like this one, or some known but minor bugs, like say a gauge reading the wrong values, is expected. To know about a serious problem like this, though and still release, would be a bad idea! Knowing the sim could crash at anytime, sort of puts a damper on that long trans Atlantic or Pacific flight you may want to take.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

As Tierborn has stated, XPlane is always a work in progress.
That's fine. I don't have a problem with that. What I find troubling is that they're apparently willing to ship a product with what appear to be significant stability issues. And, sorry, but pointing the finger at Microsoft and saying, "But they did it first!" is a lame excuse, especially when X-Plane is marketed as the antithesis to Microsoft Flight Simulator.
The fact of the matter is this.I've rarely seen ANY software product released that DIDN'T have any type of bugs.
Some bugs are acceptable. Significant stability problems are not. Maybe the blog writer is exaggerating, but if the X-Plane 10 is really that crash happy then they really should push the release back a few months and get those problems ironed out or they're going to have a lot of really unhappy customers on their hands.

I guess those who own XPlane know what to expect.It will not change MY View on this.It all works out in the end, some people may choose to wait until version 10.5 to get it.I won't :)

"It's ALL about Flying"