Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

A Basic "Newbie" Question

Hi Fellas,Although I've been around the forums for awhile, I've never downloaded anything from the AVSIM library. I have searched the forums for a basic tutorial that would explain some of the in's and out's regarding downloading and installing a/c, scenery, etc., and I was unsuccessful. If someone knows of a good tutorial that would help me and those who have not availed themselves of this AVSIM asset please send a link along. I sure would be grateful.Here's my story. I would like to try the De Havilland Chipmunk that exists in the FS2004 a/c part of the AVSIM library and see if it will work in FSX. I downloaded the file and read the "readme" file which said to extract the a/c zip file to my FSX root folder which I believe is "Microsoft Flight Simulator X". All went well and I opened the "exe" file to install the a/c. At that time I received a msg asking me if I wanted to overwrite an existing folder ("effects") already in my FSX root folder. I became concerned at that point since I really did not know the answer and so I cancelled the installation. Everything is sitting in Limbo until I can get someone to point me in the right direction. Any assistance would be gratefully accepted.Thanks!John

HelloYou will be better off letting the installer put all the files into a temperary directory the move them across by hand.The reason for this is the installer wants to put the files into the /Aircraft folder under your root FS9 directory as is normal for FS9However under FSX the main aircraft files are under /Simobjects/aircraft/.Be aware though that portovers of FS9 aircraft into FSX can result in much lower framerates and strange effects such as the prop textures being cut off by clouds.For these reasons I never run FS9 addons in FSX.

Thanks for the information mad dog! I appreciate the insight and will act accordingly.Take care,John

Thanks for the information mad dog! I appreciate the insight and will act accordingly.Take care,John
Hello JohnThere is a FS9/FSX version here:http://www.britsim.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=fileinfo&id=683