Sign in to follow this  

What taxi navigator do you use ?

I spend lot of time going left and right up and down along the taxi ways looking for my dreamt runway.I can help myself up with the Garmin of FSX but I am usually forced to cross the grass or take the wrong way to reach my runway. Not to mention during night, I seem a lone wolf hanging around in a limbo.How do you manage to move, maybe with a GPS, across taxi runways ?Thx

If I am in the US, the Airport DIagrams tend to be close enough to get me from the gate to the runway. Most add-on airport scenery supply the charts that were appliacable for the time when the airport was made.Otherwise I got Avilasoft EFB which draws a map of the airport for me using the FSX data. The EFB is pure awesome. Expensive, about as much as an add-on airplane, but it does so much that I say it is absolutely worth it.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Otherwise I got Avilasoft EFB which draws a map of the airport for me using the FSX data. The EFB is pure awesome. Expensive, about as much as an add-on airplane, but it does so much that I say it is absolutely worth it.
+1. Thats also what I use. Cant go wrong with EFB.

mmm, i assume that you are not using the default ATC, if not (like i do) i always use it to ask the taxi instructions, and then i use the built in help. I never use the chart cause i fly around the world and some times the default airport are way to different than the real ones.I tried Aivladoft EFB but since the DH/DA are not the same as the real life ones, I didn't buy it.

mmm, i assume that you are not using the default ATC, if not (like i do) i always use it to ask the taxi instructions, and then i use the built in help. I never use the chart cause i fly around the world and some times the default airport are way to different than the real ones.
Exactly what you said.But what do you mean for " built in help " ? There are so many alpha numeric numbers on the runways ( specially on third party airport ) to cause an headache.BTW does EFB of Aivla needs to be run with FSX windowed ?

Exactly what you said.But what do you mean for " built in help " ?There are so many alpha numeric numbers on the runways ( specially on third party airport ) to cause an headache.BTW does EFB of Aivla needs to be run with FSX windowed ?
when you agree the taxi clearance, you have the option to turn on the taxi help. It will draw some arrows on the taxiways so you know where you should go.As for the EFB, if you don't have another monitor or another pc/notebook, you're gonna have to use FSX windowed or alt-tab to the EFB witch isn't recommended.

As for the EFB, if you don't have another monitor or another pc/notebook, you're gonna have to use FSX windowed or alt-tab to the EFB witch isn't recommended.
You answered my question. Apparently it can be networked.The price is still much to steep for my meager income.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You answered my question. Apparently it can be networked.The price is still much to steep for my meager income.
Yes Zack, it can and it works very well. Although you're right about the price.

This is what I do. Before I call for taxi clearance I make sure that I know exactly where I am on the airport. I listen in to the ATIS so I know which runway I can expect for departure. I take out my ground chart, look at the taxiways close to my start point and look at the taxiways towards the expected runway, so I have an idea what the taxi clearance might contain. Then when I call up for taxi I keep an eye on the ground chart while ground is telling me which taxiways I need to take to the runway. That way I'm way less likely to be surprised about where to go. If I miss a taxiway I always ask them to say again. "Ground, can you say again the taxi instructions after taxiway romeo?"

EFB is expensive, but you do get a month to try it out to see if it is worth it to you. The minimums not being exact as the real world charts is something one has to keep in mind, but it beats flying with no chart at all.I run it on my laptop so it is always up for me. But if running it on the same machine as FSX, as long as you got HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your fsx.cfg and are not using ENB series or the D3D9 hook frame limiter, alt+tab should work fine for you with not problem. It is only when using D3D9 hooks that alt+tab can cause black screen of death in FSX.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Yes Zack, it can and it works very well. Although you're right about the price.
Thanks Matias.
This is what I do. Before I call for taxi clearance I make sure that I know exactly where I am on the airport. I listen in to the ATIS so I know which runway I can expect for departure. I take out my ground chart, look at the taxiways close to my start point and look at the taxiways towards the expected runway, so I have an idea what the taxi clearance might contain. Then when I call up for taxi I keep an eye on the ground chart while ground is telling me which taxiways I need to take to the runway. That way I'm way less likely to be surprised about where to go. If I miss a taxiway I always ask them to say again. "Ground, can you say again the taxi instructions after taxiway romeo?"
You've got the right idea, Johan. There's also a lot to be said for being able to properly navigate via taxiway/runway/etc signs. In the real world, pilots never cease to amaze me with their lack of skills interpreting taxiway signs and intersections when I'm in the right seat!For those interested, check this out: http://www.faa.gov/a.../signs_marking/(Take the quiz)

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

when you agree the taxi clearance, you have the option to turn on the taxi help. It will draw some arrows on the taxiways so you know where you should go.
Yes now I understand, but if you have third party airports those taxi arrows refer to the original FSX airport therefore are useless smile.png@ ZachLW : I would prefer a portable Tom Tom navigator instead of deciphering the Enigma code happy.png

Yes now I understand, but if you have third party airports those taxi arrows refer to the original FSX airport therefore are useless smile.png@ ZachLW : I would prefer a portable Tom Tom navigator instead of deciphering the Enigma code happy.png
Mark if you have third party airports and they are correctly installed, they come with his own AFCAD so the help should lead you over the right places.

Yep, but I am lazy beside being busy dodging catering vans, so an interactive zoom with an integrated GPS would render the life easier...caugh..caugh..SP2..caugh... why not ?I tried in the past few follow me programs but they mainly rely on default FSX airports as well. Another option is AES but it is too expensive if used on 10-20 airports IMO.