Sign in to follow this  
Echofox

Imp.War Museum, Duxford

Yesterday I downloaded and installed Duxford, which to anyone who hasn't visited the real thing, this is the nearest you will get to fly from this famous WW2 airfield. A work of art, thank you. Now, it is interesting with all the postings of FS9 versus FSX that the current state of downloads 7 Nov @ 1510hrs GMT is FS9_ 743, FSX_757, proving FS9 is nowhere near dead, developers take note.Echofox

Yesterday I downloaded and installed Duxford, which to anyone who hasn't visited the real thing, this is the nearest you will get to fly from this famous WW2 airfield. A work of art, thank you. Now, it is interesting with all the postings of FS9 versus FSX that the current state of downloads 7 Nov @ 1510hrs GMT is FS9_ 743, FSX_757, proving FS9 is nowhere near dead, developers take note.Echofox
Add to that that Duxford is more a GA/Warbird airport which is more FSX territory. FS9 is very much alive on my drive.Love.giffsscr184-2.jpg

Which duxford package do you use, and where can I find it.I live just up the road near Cambridge, and drive past the place daily. I love the VC10 there!!!Neil

beta.gif

I'd like to know this, too.

Which duxford package do you use, and where can I find it.I live just up the road near Cambridge, and drive past the place daily. I love the VC10 there!!!Neil

Prepare to be blown away! The files are here at avsim.acg_iwm_duxford_fs9.zip (For FS9)acg_iwm_duxford_fsx.zip (forFSX)

Don't forget to read the Manuals, lot of info. If you live in the U.K. (or visiting), spend a day at Duxford, Mind blowing !!Echofox

Yes, it is very good. Yesterday afternoon I set the month to July (as reccomended) and sat back to enjoy an airshow even if it was just circuits. The three DC3/RD4's took off after previously watching the Sabre and the middle RD4 had to do a 'go-around' on landing. Great stuff and a credit to the developer!You even see traffic on the M11..................wowee

Dave Taylor gb.png

Just installed this and I second that, fantastic scenery indeed. Love the vintage aircraft, Monarch, BEA, BOAC, Air UK.... Love it!!!

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Packard Bell imedia S3210. AMD Athlon II X 3 425 Processor 2.70 GHz. 3 GB RAM. External hard drive 1TB. FS9.1, Ground Environment, Ultimate Terrain Europe, REX, Zinertek's Ultimate Water Advanced & Ultimate Night Environment 2010, WOAI, MAIW, AES, ODG Project.

It is indeed a terrific scenery, especially with the AI airshow traffic enabled. One tip - if you're having a problem with the ramp texture displaying as white, drop the developers a line and they'll send you a replacement texture that isn't as big. Solved my problem completely, as long as aircraft shadows are also enabled. Terrific support, as I had a response with the solution to my problem within an hour or two of my original query.

John G.

This scenery is brilliant! Spent time just watching the air show last night. Many thanks to the developers.

This scenery is superb! Thanks to the developers. I am just curious about one thing. How is it that these devs can put together this over the top scenery (for free) and the frame rates are thru the roof, while some payware that is nowhere near as detailed chokes the frames? Thinking.gif

Regards,

Joe Esposito

I have downloaded the FSX version and it is really excellent.Congratulations to the designers.

As one of the two developers of the Duxford scenery, can I just say a big thank you on behalf of us both for all your kind words. It's really made the project worthwhile. We are so glad you like the scenery.Joe's question is really relevant to good designing. It's not easy to answer unless you are familiar with Gmax, but in our case we did quite a bit of research into what makes FS9 and FSX tick, performance-wise. There are a couple of quite technical Microsoft documents around that give some clues and with a bit of experimentation, we began to understand. It's based on the premise that "polygons don't matter, texture vertices do". What it really means is that you can build complex items with many polygons, but you need a technique to share all the common texture vertex points (the dots that map the texture shapes to the faces of the modesl) to minimise their number and the number of draw calls. Repeated objects like trees are a prime example and benefit enormously from the technique. If any designer wants more information, go to the tutorial section of the ACG website or drop me an e-mail (addresess in the Duxford manual). There's a tutorial there that I wrote on the subject written in simple terms that might help.John