Sign in to follow this  
Easy Xjer

FSX Flight Planner

Like kewl. Heres the scenario. I select departure and arrival LNS. I then go into the edit section and add waypoint by dragging course line to PNE then to MDT and back to LNS. The listed flight plan shows up in the gps as correct and in the kneeboard. However when I fly ATC has me take off head toward MDT then turns me to land at RWY 8 LNS. I was trying to plan a round robin IFR night flight. IS this a flaw in the FSX? Thanks Dan The Wannabee!!!

I don't believe that you can use an airport as a waypoint. Change your flight plan to KLNS - PNE - HAR - KLNS and I think you'll get what you want.

Tom

I don't believe that you can use an airport as a waypoint. Change your flight plan to KLNS - PNE - HAR - KLNS and I think you'll get what you want.
Wow Fort Lee NJ? I used go thru there 5 days a week.Hauling paper from Phil to Mass. Good ol GWB wheew.

Your suggestion did not work either. I can select the airports go into edit screen drag course line to the VOR towers they show up in the list to the right,select nav log they show up, go back to main planner screen click on create and get error unable to create. The only way it will plan is to select direct GPS but when you go back to edit screen it shows a line from KNLS to KLNS. Also noticed the kneeboard will not update if you change IFR destination in flight. So much for MS flight planner creators. The gps will show new route but the kneeboard shows the original plan. Guess Ill have to spring for add on flight planner.

... don't need to "sping" - just get "Plan G" - it's a great little planner.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Your suggestion did not work either. I can select the airports go into edit screen drag course line to the VOR towers they show up in the list to the right,select nav log they show up, go back to main planner screen click on create and get error unable to create. The only way it will plan is to select direct GPS but when you go back to edit screen it shows a line from KNLS to KLNS. Also noticed the kneeboard will not update if you change IFR destination in flight. So much for MS flight planner creators. The gps will show new route but the kneeboard shows the original plan. Guess Ill have to spring for add on flight planner.
When you are setting your route, you need to be in the 'Show Route' page. Once you have what you want, SAVE it from there. FSX has a quirk in that if you set custom waypoints on a 'Direct' FP, the complete plan will only show after you go to the 'Show Route' page and load it a second time, or load it directly from the Save Route page. I know it sounds complicated but it really isnt, I do it all the time.

Jay

When you are setting your route, you need to be in the 'Show Route' page. Once you have what you want, SAVE it from there. FSX has a quirk in that if you set custom waypoints on a 'Direct' FP, the complete plan will only show after you go to the 'Show Route' page and load it a second time, or load it directly from the Save Route page. I know it sounds complicated but it really isnt, I do it all the time.
Nope it no work. Saved and Loaded from the edit page after putting in PNE vor and HAR vor. Still has me take off do a 180 and setup for rwy 8 ils at LNS. I want to set it a IFR VOR to VOR route it aint happenin.

... don't need to "sping" - just get "Plan G" - it's a great little planner.
Plan g says VFR only. Can it do IFR?

yes. IIUC I think the problem is you are too close to the final leg, so the ATC jumps you ahead. I think you are going to have to ignore ATC, or not contact ATC after hand-off from take-off and wait until you are closer to the next waypoint. It may help to drag your route to create a new waypoint that's closer to your take off runway so ATC sees it as the closest waypoint.scott ..

It can do IFR much better than the default planner. The main limitation is that there is no support for SIDS/STARS - but it is a lot better than the default. It is also free anyway, so give it a try and see what you think !!!G

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

Yeah dont do the sids stars thing .........yet. I have come to the conclusion after 2 days of trying that ms planner just wont let ya build a round robin IFR flight. I tried putting waypoints at end of rwy and close together for first couple of miles but it always has me turn aound to land where I just left from. I reckon a sim just aint perfect. The only other thing to do is plan several one way flights on the round robin and just change dest in air as I approach each one. Thanks for all the tips. I will try plan g already downloaded.

You can create a round-robin flight plan as follows:1 - Create a direct (GPS) flight plan from the starting airport to the nearest airport2- Drag the leg to a waypoint on the-round robin plan3 - Drag the last leg to the nearest airport to the starting airport, which will become the next to the last waypoint in the list shown4 - Save the flight plan5 - Open the flight plan in Notepad6 - Delete the nearest airport: that is everything from the last <ATCWaypoint id="????>"> to </ATCWaypoint> inclusive where ???? is the code for the nearest airport.7 - Save and close the file in Notepad and re-load the flight plan in FSX.You will then have a basic round -robin flight plan that you can edit in the usual way