Sign in to follow this  
tcas_climb

SWA display option

I notice that the SWA livery has been marked as being accurate, however the display options that comes with the livery is the regular PFD MAP type, but as far as i can tell, SWA has always used the side by side layout, something very simple to correct yes but i was wondering why this is so?

Bryan, I flew on a 737 on Friday back home and they had the PFD/MAP action going I think they changed to this within the last year.-Matt Chase

hmmm interesting wonder what brought about the change, thanks!
Yea, I'm not sure and I'm not an expert on the topic either (being from Baltimore I fly Southwest about 20 times a year) but I have always peeked up there to see, and the last 5 flights or so I have noticed the PFD/MAP.-Matt Chase

hmmm interesting wonder what brought about the change, thanks!
They made the change so they could begin using RNP approaches. Gotta love the google:http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/news/southwest-starts-using-rnp-procedures-11-airports-0111

Yeah, I was about to say, when I flew them several years ago, I noticed the side-by-side and made a comment to the pilot. He said that he didn't mind it, but that they'd be transitioning at some point. I think some were already PFD/MAP at that point, too. The world of flight is not as rigid as people think.If there's an asterisk next to it, someone had to have some basis for sending that data, and I'm betting PMDG verified it.

Kyle Rodgers

One of their pilot testers works for Southwest.. I know him from past FSadventures... So no problem for them to get info for Southwest liveryand equipment.

As of April, 2010, SWA's NG fleet had been converted to the standard PFD/ND/Over-Under displays. They used to have the EFIS/MAP/Side-by-Side displays until April, 2010. The one excpetion to the "usual" dual cue FD is that they've always used the single cue FD, and still do. I know this from one of their maintenance technicians based at the KPHX hub, as well as direct observation of their flight decks through the years. (Their -300/500 series still use the old fashioned "steam" gauges....would LUV for PMDG to do the classic 737 series, but I'm sure that won't happen.)

Jim Blake
Captain, SWA Virtual Airlines
Real World C172 Pilot, AOPA #06034701
 sig_concordeX.jpg  Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The Old Classic repaint which was recently added to the list of liveries is inaccurate. Southwest did switch over to PFD/ND however they kept the analog backup gauges, only has HYD QTY/PRES display under SYS and are ANP/RNP capoable with the readout along with no range arcs. The Southwest "Bags fly for free" & Canyon Blue are without a doubt a reflection of the carrier's manuals. Hopefully the Classic livery gets fixed.Tristan.