Sign in to follow this  
corkery

MAAM DC 3 veering off runway during landing

After a long layoff I have come back to FS and one of my favourite aircraft (MAAM DC3) now I have a setup capable of doing FSX justice. I use saitek rudder pedals which are setup as specified and work well in all configurations. However, I'm having great difficulty in keeing the DC 3 from veering off the runway during landing even with full rudder deflection. I do use real weather (ASE) but although there is a crosswind it isn't something I would consider a problem for an aircraft the size of a DC 3 (< 7Kts). Am I missing something? When I flew it before I used a twist joystick for rudder and don't remember this problem. Any tips?

Hi CorkeryMark Beaumont here, MAAM-SIM volunteer and VP Fleet over at DC-3 AIrways (www.dc3airways.com)Some things to check:1. Landing speed. Should be 75-80 knots, flaps down, land on main wheels, bring the tail down gently. 2. Crosswind. Max crosswind permissible about 25knots, so you are fine at 7knots but should allow for it.3. You should never need to use anything like full rudder deflection. Rudder will have effect on direction until you drop below 40knots on the runway. Thereafter your steering must be by throttles and toe brakes. You DO need independent throttle control to steer effectively.4. Avoid any use of ailerons on the runway after landing.5. Calibration of your pedals. Although if they are working fine for other aircraft, that should not be an issue.6. Realism settings. The aircraft IS (like any other in FS) much less forgiving if you have your realism sliders maxed. Try them halfway, or even on zero setting for more comfortable control.Prop rotation does pull the aircraft to one side on takeoff (although not as badly as a P-51!) but this should not be an issue on landing where you have throttled back until ready to taxi.I'm assuming, of course, that you do know all the basics i.e. landing upwind, etc. and are flying a proper approach. Landing speed is important. Like the real aircraft, she'll bounce like a baby if you come in too fast, giving you little ground contact (DC-3 tyres are only inflated to 40PSI, less than your bicycle, probably).Hope this helps a bit. Let us know how you get on, and check in at DC-3 Airways to meet some real DC-3 jockeys who can advise you far better than I!BestMark "Dark Moment" Beaumont

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Since I have Saitek yoke, rudder pedals and multi-engine throttle quadrant I can't really complain about controllability! I have tried a number of landings using the weather set to 'fair' so I could concentrate on the technique.I have turned the p-factor down to 75% and this is what I think made all the difference, remembered to lock the tail wheel for take-off and landing! I'm now managing to stay on the centre line with just a touch on differential brakes. A bit more practice at this and then I can try real weather again.However, I have been unable to fly to the numbers given in the MAAM manual i.e. keep 25inch manifold pressure until over the fence and only then drop to 20inch. These numbers always mean my airspeed stays at the upper end of 90 to 100. It must be possible to fly to those numbers.CheersTony C

Yeah, it's not easy to get that right, I confess. In flightsim it's too easy to come in high without realising it and even when on the correct glide path, the old bird needs plenty of time and careful trim and power control to approach at realistic settings. It's good to hear of pilots like yourself paying such attention to the proper numbers, though. We've tried hard to get the MAAM-SIM lady to fly as accurately as possible in all phases of flight, and she's not far off. Maybe just make sure you get that MAP down to 25 early in the downwind leg, and don't be afraid to deploy your first notch of flaps likewise.Good luck!MarkP.S. And yes, I meant to mention that tail-wheel!