Sign in to follow this  
rwy12

Best overclock options for me-please help.

Hi everyone,I have just upgraded my PC to :i5 2500KAsus P8Z68-V / Gen 3 motherboard8gig corsair venegence 1600 RAM.Akasa Venom air cooler.I have managed a stable overclocke of 4.7 in this combination 100 blck x 47 with about 58 degrees(cpuid monitor) with fsx running.I tried a higher overclock with this combination 101 blck x 47 ,the system booted ok and the temp was about 61 degrees and stable with fsx.The pc started ok at each restart..The problem started when I switched on the pc the following morning-The pc did not boot up-error message said overclock error-press F1.I would be grateful for any suggestions on what the best combination is for a higher over clock with my set up .I would like an overclock of 4.8+.Looking forward to your help.Qas

Did you leave Vcore to Auto?

Hi everyone,I have just upgraded my PC to :i5 2500KAsus P8Z68-V / Gen 3 motherboard8gig corsair venegence 1600 RAM.Akasa Venom air cooler.I have managed a stable overclocke of 4.7 in this combination 100 blck x 47 with about 58 degrees(cpuid monitor) with fsx running.I tried a higher overclock with this combination 101 blck x 47 ,the system booted ok and the temp was about 61 degrees and stable with fsx.The pc started ok at each restart..The problem started when I switched on the pc the following morning-The pc did not boot up-error message said overclock error-press F1.I would be grateful for any suggestions on what the best combination is for a higher over clock with my set up .I would like an overclock of 4.8+.Looking forward to your help.Qas
I been asking around for a few days now the exact same question with close to same gear except i7 instead. Every single person who knows a lot about that kind of stuff will never tell u settings to use, they all say evry system is different, its a journy not a destination, or they say go read 2 thousand different guides and "learn" it yourself. Now on 1 hand I agree and admire the fact that they wont give u setting suggestions cus they dont want to have to answer your next post talking about a mushroom cloud eminating from you case, but good luck and let me know how you get up past 4.8 because Id like to figure it out myself. Peace!!

Hi Josh,Here is what I first used when setting up my 2600K, which work well. Others have also shared their particulars in the same thread. The depicted settings have been modified a wee bit here and there since, but are still essentially the same:Click here: http://forum.avsim.n...ost__p__1995988I now use a Vcore of 1.48 @ 5Ghz to keep stability for heavy FSX usage. Hope they don't turn your computer into a mushroom cloud! If a blind man leads a blind man they will both fall into the ditch, so be forewarned. Angel.gif As you know two computers are never exactly the same.Kind regards,

I been asking around for a few days now the exact same question with close to same gear except i7 instead. Every single person who knows a lot about that kind of stuff will never tell u settings to use, they all say evry system is different, its a journy not a destination, or they say go read 2 thousand different guides and "learn" it yourself. Now on 1 hand I agree and admire the fact that they wont give u setting suggestions cus they dont want to have to answer your next post talking about a mushroom cloud eminating from you case, but good luck and let me know how you get up past 4.8 because Id like to figure it out myself. Peace!!
Josh, we have a pinned thread in this very section of the forums with pictures of our BIOS settings. Anyway, it's true that no one can tell you the exact amount of Vcore you need for a certain overclock. It's not rocket science, if it's not stable you should downclock your RAM to make sure it's not limiting your CPU OC, and if it's not, raise your Vcore. If your Vcore is already too high (and what's too high is an open debate) or your temps are too high, it's time to stop ocing

Josh, we have a pinned thread in this very section of the forums with pictures of our BIOS settings. Anyway, it's true that no one can tell you the exact amount of Vcore you need for a certain overclock. It's not rocket science, if it's not stable you should downclock your RAM to make sure it's not limiting your CPU OC, and if it's not, raise your Vcore. If your Vcore is already too high (and what's too high is an open debate) or your temps are too high, it's time to stop ocing
downclock ram to what? And should i only change the multiplier until its not stable, and then lower ram settings before changing volts? And is vcore the setting to increase in small increments when power increase is needed? what about turbo, disable it outright? Any other specific settings in bios to disable? thanks

downclock ram to what?
To the minimum,1066MHz or something, for testing purposes
I increased it to 1.44.
What Load Line Calibration? Did you check your Vcore at full load? Because 1.44 is too much IMO.Did you stress test?

what about turbo, and any other settings should be disabled?
you can't disable turbo in SB when you overclock. Actually you overclock the CPU using the turbo ratio, but if you set the turbo ratio at say 45, it will stay at 4.5GHz (except when C1E/Speedstep kick in at low loads) so it will not behave as the Turbo does at stock clocks