Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Do I need to reinstall FSX and all its addon

I have installed FSX and a lot of addons on my new C: SSD drive together with Win 7 x64. I forget to change the installation folder so now FSX resides on its default installation path in Program Files (x86). First I didn't thought that would be more than an annoyance. But I have now problem getting my ASE on the networked computer to work. I have discovered that Win 7 seems to refuse to let me do what I wan't. And that is to share FSX installation folder. If I change the read only flag it seem to change it. But then the flag is enabled again. I can't share the folder with everyone.I have shared it in properties and it is shown on my networked computer. But access is denied from it. What to do? Will I have to move the FSX installation folder? If so can I simply move to c: and then use some utilty that change all OS flags and settings?

I am no tech head but it is my firm understanding that to install FSX in the default folder C:Program Files with WIN 7 OS will inevitably causeproblems with numerous FSX addons and functions.anamiv

Turn UAC off.Cheers,- jahman.
Already done. Was one of the first thing I did after installing the OS

Guest jahman

I recall on my Vista PC I had a similar problem: It appears that (for security reasons?) Vista refuses to share folders and subfolders (including the FSX default folder!) under the c:Programs 86 (or whatever it's called).Rather than right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Share", you need to select "Properties" instead, and then keep drilling down until under permissions you can select the sharing you want. Otherwise whatever sharing you select will be ignored. Don't ask me why, I didn't write this piece of code!Cheers,- jahman.

I recall on my Vista PC I had a similar problem: It appears that (for security reasons?) Vista refuses to share folders and subfolders (including the FSX default folder!) under the c:Programs 86 (or whatever it's called).Rather than right-clicking on the folder and selecting "Share", you need to select "Properties" instead, and then keep drilling down until under permissions you can select the sharing you want. Otherwise whatever sharing you select will be ignored. Don't ask me why, I didn't write this piece of code!Cheers,- jahman.
I have tried that and Win 7 does indeed let the folder be shared and displayed on my secondary computer. But still access is denied and the read only flag is enabled. Also the only permission that remained to activate was for the owner. But also that changed back to disabled like the read only attribute.

Guest jahman

Specifically wht I had to do to was to:

1. Right.Click on the folder and select "Properties"
  2. Click the "Sharing" tab
  3. Click "Advanced Sharing"
  4. Click "Permissions"
  5. Click the desired permissions

Cheers,- jahman.

I also did not think it through, and installed FSX in the default folder.My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.(I recently purchased a new computer, and then I purchased FSX two months ago. My old computer was ten years old.)And, I plan on installing and tweaking a LOT of add-ons and/or FS files.I VERY MUCH want to uninstall FSX and re-install FSX in a non-default folder.However, I have read that FSX may refuse to install a second time.Please help me with any information about how a person does a reinstall of FSX, to a different folder, on a Windows 7 64-bit computer (without the program refusing to do a second install).I have already downloaded a very large amount of add-ons and I am waiting (not so patiently) to install themAnyone's help will be MUCH appreciated.

I also did not think it through, and installed FSX in the default folder.My operating system is Windows 7 64-bit.(I recently purchased a new computer, and then I purchased FSX two months ago. My old computer was ten years old.)And, I plan on installing and tweaking a LOT of add-ons and/or FS files.I VERY MUCH want to uninstall FSX and re-install FSX in a non-default folder.However, I have read that FSX may refuse to install a second time.Please help me with any information about how a person does a reinstall of FSX, to a different folder, on a Windows 7 64-bit computer (without the program refusing to do a second install).I have already downloaded a very large amount of add-ons and I am waiting (not so patiently) to install themAnyone's help will be MUCH appreciated.
That is exactly what I have done now on my Win 7 x64 and now the FSX folder seems to be correctly shared. Unlike before I can access it from the networked computer.No problem at all to install a second time.

jfri,What about this utility file?FSX Utility--Resetsldl.exeName: mskb928080.zip Size: 331,028 Date: 06-12-2010 Downloads: 867FSX Utility--Resetsldl.exe Microsoft self extracting cabinet file containing the program "resetsldl.exe" used to correct a known installation issue with FSX Deluxe edition. This program resets the installer to zero so that FSX can be reinstalled.Do you, or anyone else know about the "known installation issue with FSX Deluxe edition"?Thanks,Randy (NR16020)

jfri,What about this utility file?FSX Utility--Resetsldl.exeName: mskb928080.zip Size: 331,028 Date: 06-12-2010 Downloads: 867FSX Utility--Resetsldl.exe Microsoft self extracting cabinet file containing the program "resetsldl.exe" used to correct a known installation issue with FSX Deluxe edition. This program resets the installer to zero so that FSX can be reinstalled.Do you, or anyone else know about the "known installation issue with FSX Deluxe edition"?Thanks,Randy (NR16020)
Don't know anything about that file or any issue. Didn't encountered any when I reinstalled FSX in the C: root.

jfri,Thank you. I very much appreciate your help.I have read several posts in forums (at flightsim, AVSim, etc.) in which someone tried to re-install FSX on their Win 7 64-bit computer and it refused. Then they were "locked out" of having any way of running FSX. Some of these simmers even contacted tech support at Microsoft and could not get FSX to re-install.jfri, I also wanted to double-check to see if you have the FSX Gold version with Acceleration? (That's what I have, and I will try to do a re-install during the next couple of days, IF your assistance is based upon having the same version of FSX and operating system as I have.)Also, do I need anything else besides the 3 DVDs that come with the "Gold" version.? (Any other service packs, utilities, etc.)Thank you again,Randy (NR16020)

jfri,Thank you. I very much appreciate your help.I have read several posts in forums (at flightsim, AVSim, etc.) in which someone tried to re-install FSX on their Win 7 64-bit computer and it refused. Then they were "locked out" of having any way of running FSX. Some of these simmers even contacted tech support at Microsoft and could not get FSX to re-install.jfri, I also wanted to double-check to see if you have the FSX Gold version with Acceleration? (That's what I have, and I will try to do a re-install during the next couple of days, IF your assistance is based upon having the same version of FSX and operating system as I have.)Also, do I need anything else besides the 3 DVDs that come with the "Gold" version.? (Any other service packs, utilities, etc.)Thank you again,Randy (NR16020)
I have the Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition + the Flight Simulator X acceleration expansion pack as two separate DVD based products. I followed the installation guide inhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.htmlDoes the gold version install everything at once? So you can't start FSX and reboot computer before the acceleration pack?

I have the Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe Edition + the Flight Simulator X acceleration expansion pack as two separate DVD based products. I followed the installation guide inhttp://www.simforums...topic29041.htmlDoes the gold version install everything at once? So you can't start FSX and reboot computer before the acceleration pack?
The "Gold" version has three DVDs. Two are the original FSX and the third is the Acceleration addition.When I did my install, I did not reboot my computer (well, maybe I did, but I don't recall for sure) until I installed both the original and the Acceleration.At this point, I am hoping that it won't matter when I do the un-install process.After the first two DVDs were used for the install, there was a "pause" because the original FSX was done installing.When I went ahead and used the third DVD to install Acceleration, it was (sort-of) a separate step.

Guest jahman
...When I did my install, I did not reboot my computer (well, maybe I did, but I don't recall for sure) until I installed both the original and the Acceleration....
What you're supposed to do between FSX Deluxe and Acceleration installs is not reboot your PC, it's start FSX!Cheers,- jahman.