Sign in to follow this  
MatzeH84

Performance drops when depiction output active

Hi there,I have ASE + SP3 installed. Win7 64, FSX + SP2, i7 2600k @3,9GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX580, newest drivers. Depiction mode is in standard.Whenever depiction output is active (green announcement in the window) I get a serious performance drop which I wouldn't expect on this PC. Also the sky textures (Pablo Diaz' HDE) start flashing in daytime. When depiction output is inactive again, everything reverts to normal. I didn't have such a drop on my old PC which was half that powerful. FSX is using 3 cores. I switched high priority processing on/ off for testing, but it made no difference.Maybe you have got some tips for me..Regards,Matthias

Regards.
Matthias Hanel

MilViz Beta Team

Hi,It's a byproduct of Standard Mode. Please try Smooth Cloud mode.

Is this a known issue with DWC as well?Right now, whenever ASE is downloading an update, I get 0.9, yes, not a typo, 0.9 FPS.Thanks!

This is something new I think. I have never seen performance drop while using DWC - thats why I love it :)

Tom Link

Hello, same problem here:Frames going down on every weather update.but ist FS9, and so ASE did not have the "smooth" option for FS9.Is there any other Way?Thanks,Alti

Hello, same problem here:Frames going down on every weather update.but ist FS9, and so ASE did not have the "smooth" option for FS9.Is there any other Way?Thanks,Alti
Same here and suppression settings seem to make no difference at all. Now I have read that suppression doesn't stop ASE from updating just writing to FS however I am running ASE over WideFS so ASE updating itself on a client computer shouldn't kill my FS performance but it does... That leads me to believe that ASE is writing to FS even when suppression is active. Absolutely nothing worse than having butter smooth FS performance and then right on approach, landing or takeoff it absolutely sputters to a grind. I still wish there was just a PAUSE button for ASE that i could hit before I leave the gate, hit play when I am airborne and pause again passing 5000 on approach... It is really frustrating.

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi,It's a byproduct of Standard Mode. Please try Smooth Cloud mode.
Tried that one too. While the frame hits are almost gone, both Smooth Cloud and DWC modes gives me the now you see them, now you don't clouds. Thats unaceptable for me. I love the way standard mode works but I would like to see the ground supression fixed to keep ASE from initiating an update cycle in the first place.

I tried all 3 modes. Behaves the same in all 3.ASE says it's DOWNLOADING when this happens, NOT trying to depict the output which is what is baffling me.

I have BItDefender which is on "Game Mode", so no, it should not be...I'm going to make sure that HTTP traffic scan is off though and try it again.--EDIT--Pinpointed right when it happened:8:58 AM - Downloading global weather data for 11/23/2011 2:58:33 PM (14Z) from Primary Server...9:00 AM - Download failed, retrying, attempt #29:00 AM - Switching to Secondary Server9:02 AM - Download failed, retrying, attempt #39:02 AM - Switching to Primary Server9:02 AM - Thermal generated: 80fpm, Temp = 3.6729:03 AM - Up/downdraft generated: -55fpm, Downdraft = True, Winddir = 340, Windspeed = 20, Strengthfactor = 0.66666679:03 AM - Up/downdraft generated: -221fpm, Downdraft = True, Winddir = 357, Windspeed = 25, Strengthfactor = 0.83333339:03 AM - Download failed, retrying, attempt #49:03 AM - Switching to Secondary Server9:05 AM - Thermal generated: 22fpm, Temp = 2.4857149:05 AM - Start Download Content License Result Check9:05 AM - Finished Download Content License Result Check in 0 ms9:05 AM - Start Download File Output9:05 AM - Saving weather to disk9:05 AM - Finished Download File Output in 15.625 ms9:05 AM - Start Decrypt/Decompress9:06 AM - Finished Decrypt/Decompress in 24796.875 ms9:06 AM - Download Binary Compress File Routine completed in 123640.625 ms9:06 AM - Populating weather stream with new data...9:06 AM - Parsing line items9:06 AM - Thermal generated: 106fpm, Temp = 2.59:06 AM - Download complete9:06 AM - Downloading Met/Rep data from Primary Server...It was fine on the primary server, but as soon as it went to the secondary, it took a HUGE hit. When it went back to trying Primary, no issues. Then, when it went BACK to secondary again, same hit. The red highlights where the hit started. Once back in the "black", it was fine again.It has something to do with the secondary server. Is there a way to force primary server only to test this theory?