Sign in to follow this  
SergioPT

Unable to set default Transition Altitude

Since the first release, and even now with SP1, there is no way I am able to set default transition altitude to 4,000ft. Even though I set it in the options menu, whenever I start a new flight and program the FMC, the TA defaults to 18,000ft (I think it was 17,000ft prior SP1). Any hints? Thanks in advance.

Did you do a clean uninstall/reinstall before SP1 ?
Affirm. Completely unistalled, installed base package, applied SP1. Just to be clear, I am able to change it in the options menu but when I am programing the FMC during preflight, the TA is set to 18000 ft by default, ignoring my input in the options menu. Of course I can go ahead and up select 4000 ft or whatever I like. It's just the default value that I am unable to change...

Try changing it in the CDU options and then exit FSX.That worked for me.Fred.

Affirm. Completely unistalled, installed base package, applied SP1. Just to be clear, I am able to change it in the options menu but when I am programing the FMC during preflight, the TA is set to 18000 ft by default, ignoring my input in the options menu. Of course I can go ahead and up select 4000 ft or whatever I like. It's just the default value that I am unable to change...
I have the same problem. I have set the TA for 6,000ft however it defaults to 17,000ft no matter what I do.Kimberly Richmond-Jones

It stays set for me but don't forget it's aircraft specific so if you set it as 6000' for say the Ryanair 737-800 it will still be the default for other aircraft unless you've changed those as well.Andy Lawton

It only works for departure, but never for arrival for me. That is, it uses the transition level i set for departure, for arrival it always uses 18 000

Make sure you've granted yourself Admin rights to your entire FS directory. This also causes issues with setting PMDG Key Commands. Many users say they get "erased" and they do, to a certain degree.When you don't give yourself admin rights to the folders (or run FS as Admin), when the program runs, it creates a hidden folder in certain directories to temporarily store your changes. When you close the program, the pointer to the temp file disappears. The next time you open the sim, it uses the original file, not the temp file you actually changed.

Kyle Rodgers

It only works for departure, but never for arrival for me. That is, it uses the transition level i set for departure, for arrival it always uses 18 000
You set that in CDU "Decent Forecast" in flight./ Leffe

Hi, To answer a point made by Sekstifire re Arrival, if you go to Descent in FMC and select Forecast, you can select the arrival TA on LSK1. Hope this helps. richard welsh.

you should be able to set the default in the pmdg options page but does not work for me, i set for 10k in australia and every time i do another flight its 18K no big deal just strange

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

you should be able to set the default in the pmdg options page but does not work for me, i set for 10k in australia and every time i do another flight its 18K no big deal just strange
Same here. change to 10k for Aust in FMC but never shows up / doesnt save it as such. No biggy either.

Here's the caveat we forgot to mention for this:It does not work if you're loading from a panel state. A panel state load is always going to use the defaults - there's a technical reason within the code for it and it can't be changed.If you load from free flight it should always work.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Well I always load from a last saved flight, which loads last panel state. And it always loads the ta as 6000ft which I've set in options?

Here's the caveat we forgot to mention for this:It does not work if you're loading from a panel state. A panel state load is always going to use the defaults - there's a technical reason within the code for it and it can't be changed.If you load from free flight it should always work.
Ryan,I always load from free flight, but that also loads the panel state you choose as default (short turn in my case). I don't see how I can load from free flight without the NGX doing this. I've tried selecting "previous flight" as the default, but this loads in a weird configuration. Initially engines off, then the engines start and run up run up to TO power the aircraft takes off by itself and the AP engages as if preselected. The only good thing about loading in this way is that transition altitude initialises to the value I've selected, so I know it works that way. What previous flight is it using? The last NGX flight, or the last flight in FSX by whatever aircraft. It certainly isn't the last flight I did in the NGX.What puzzles me is why only the Transition Altitude is affected in this way by loading from a panel state. Other aircraft options load as selected.One final point. Why couldn't Transition Altitude have been implemented as per the FCOM description, i.e. initialise to 18000 ft then load the TA for the departure when the procedure is selected?

ki9cAAb.jpg