I currently have Windows 7 64, MS Office and other junk on a 64 MB SSD and FSx, FS9 and all the addons on a 1TB WD Black HD. I'm about to come into possession of a 128MB SSD as well and I want to leave the OS SSD alone, but install FSX, FS9 and all my addon aircraft on the 128, keeping GEX, UTS, Scenery Tech, FS Global, UT, RC, etc and the WD drive.Will it be necessary to reinstall the OS when I do this? I'm thinking of all the registry entries that'll be messed up when I move this stuff around. Second, I know you don't format an SSD, but how do you get a clean one--just erase it?ThanksDan Cole

Dan Cole

Guest jahman

No, you won't need to reinstall the OS, but you will need to reinstall FSX and all add-ons.To get a clean SSD:

1. Delete all files
  2. Empty the Recycle Bin
  3. Execute the Trim command on the SSD.

Cheers,- jahman.

How do you 'execute' the TRIM command on Win7?I thought it was all automatic?

For Trim to work automatically you have to be running Win7, the SSD controller has to reconize the command, the SATA controller the SSD is plugged into has to reconize the command and the SATA controller has to be set to AHCI in BIOS. To set a Intel SATA controller to AHCI you have to have the Intel RST drivers installed for the SATA controller.If you are running a brand name SSD made in the past two years, your SSD is hooked up to a Intel SATA controller and this is set to AHCI then TRIM should be automatic.It has never really been determined one way or the other if Marvell SATA ports support TRIM, but if you have a Crucial C300 or M4 installed on a Marvell SATA port you do not need TRIM since the Garbage Collection function on Crucial C330's and M4's do just as good a job or better than TRIM.

Trim works in IDE mode too. No wonder AHCI is still preferred for best performance with SSD's

Trim works in IDE mode too.
As far as Intel SATA ports go everything that I have ever read says that only the Intel RST drivers support trim and that is why you have to set your SATA port to AHCI since when you set it to IDE Win7 loads the default Intel drivers that do not support trim.Do you have a link I can read regarding Intel SATA ports on IDE support TRIM? I would like to read it.

To enable TRIM, start a Command Prompt window (in Administrator mode, type “CMD” in the Search bar from the Windows Start Menu) andenter the following command:

“fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0″

Page4.jpg

Once the value of “0” is set for this parameter, TRIM is enabled. And, that is all there is to verifying that TRIM for your SSDs. By making certain that your SSDs are being maintained by Microsoft’s TRIM function, you are guaranteeing that your system will operate your solid-state drives at theirhighest level possible.This is what I checked. No RST driver here for me. I am on an Intel port with the standard Win 7 driverSo you cannot 'command' a trim function manually. The OS takes care of it.