Sign in to follow this  
ga

No hight GS diamond?

ok tuned ILS on Nav radio, about 20 out I think I get only the GS diamond vector but no GS Diamond in hight.......IF I activate VOR/LOC the GS Diamond hight comes up? shouldent both GS Diamond come alive when NAV Radio is activate beside hit VOR/LOC?

Whoa...I'm so confused.(kannsje det er bedre å skrive på norsk?)G/S means glideslope, and if you're referring to how it shows up on the displays, it's only used to describe the one that moves up and down, on the right side of the PFD. LOC, or localizer, is the one that moves left to right, and is on the bottom of the PFD.If you select an ILS (which tunes the LOC only, and a separate paired frequency shows the glideslope indicator, to be technical about it), you should see the localizer indication (horizontal) farther out than you would the glideslope (vertical). You normally don't intercept the glideslope until about 4-6nm out anyway, so the fact that it displays later shouldn't be an issue.Hopefully that helps.

Kyle Rodgers

The glideslope may not become active at the same time as the localizer. Does it closer to your destination?

Ah salute Gents, Learning someting new at every post thx ;) Yes messed up the language here , ok- G/S is up/Down Diamond and it can be shown later then Loc- Localizer is right/left Diamond and shows up usely firstAnd Kenneth, "Does it closer to your destination "No dont think so, But wil dobbel test it again since I learned something new here ;)

Your glideslope should become active closer to the runway, as Kyle said.

ok tested it again, Loc is active but no G/S comes acyive or shown Diamnd??Was about 5-6nm out from RNW just hit VOR/LOC and the G/S comes active , turned VOR/LOC off and it kept active after this, this was exactly what I wondering , any thing I doing wrong, it should get active without turn ON VOR/LOC?

Second question, what do Pilot usely use when landing(737) full ILS landing, Manuel landing with some guidens.........at Normal clear day

The second question depends on the SOP of the company in question. Some companies require the pilots to keep the plane on autopilot until a set altitude / distance from the threshold, like say 1000ft AGL, while other companies are more relaxed about it and allow their pilots to disengage the autopilot whenever they feel like it. They never do full autoland tho, except for the few times they need to do it to stay current on their autoland certification.

Glideslope intercept should be according to the approach procedure, it can easily be 10nm out...Check the approach plate for the airport...Andrew

Glideslope intercept should be according to the approach procedure, it can easily be 10nm out...Check the approach plate for the airport...Andrew
What airport uses an intercept out at 10nm? Have a plate for that?

Kyle Rodgers

For those having trouble with this:Set the Localizer in CDU to intercept before the glideslope. (That's the best metodh, I think)Try to Intercept the Localizer with < and =30 degree.Press VOR/LOC, you will now see this in white, below your roll mode on FMA.As soon as you have captured Localizer, press APP to arm the GS and then CMD B.The GS will come alive nearly at once or at FAF. (depending if you was high or not)If only an CAT1 ILS, you will have SINGLE CHANNEL on PFD (If you turned both NAV radio) , meaning you can'tmake an autoland, you'll have to disconnect A/P at DH, or at 50-100 feet, if you prefer that and land manually./ Leffe

Kyle, there is no need to be aggressive... :)As I said, G/S intercept should be in accordance with the plate for the approach you get clearance for. All I stated was that it can be as much as 10nm out, an example of which is EGCC, ILS/DME (I-NN) 23RIt all depends on terrain, noise abatement, traffic...You are certainly correct that a number of approaches have the standard G/S intercept anywhere between 4 and 8nm from the ILS beacon, but it all depends on the specifics of the airport in question...Andrew

Aggressive wasn't the intention. I'm notoriously terse/dry/straightforward in the mornings when it comes to my writing style (still 0830 here when I wrote that). Sorry if it came across that way, and thanks for the plate.

Kyle Rodgers