Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

Not a Flightsim question ,but tech help would be appreciated.

Hello AllThis is not an FS question , but I would like to pick the collective brains of AVSIM if you don't mind.I have a particularly irritating problem.This is what happens. When i turn on my pc and say go to AVSIM (or any website ) everything thing is fine for a few minutes ,but after a short short-while my mouse pointer will 'stick' and lag , typing a forum query the letters will take a fraction of a second to display (sticking) this is very frustrating.After a further ten fifteen minutes or so this sticking lagging issue resolves itself .I believe its something to do with 'latency' I have tried various 'solutions' but nothing has really worked (updated various drivers etc )Is it just a case of grin and bare it or is there anything that can be done .Its really irritating .Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Hi Andy, if you are starting up the PC and then immediately going online to a site or forum, then it sounds to me that it's simply the PC loading background programmes while it is starting. It's the CPU working to load up all the programs and so reducing the amount of CPU power available. The older the OS, the more 'stuff' gets loaded after boot up as you install more and more programs etc. I have two machines, one for FSX and one for my office work. I have to start my office PC up to five or ten minutes before I can do anything as it loads a whole heap of stuff... I guess I should do something about that one of these days! wink.png

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hi Andy, if you are starting up the PC and then immediately going online to a site or forum, then it sounds to me that it's simply the PC loading background programmes while it is starting. It's the CPU working to load up all the programs and so reducing the amount of CPU power available. The older the OS, the more 'stuff' gets loaded after boot up as you install more and more programs etc. I have two machines, one for FSX and one for my office work. I have to start my office PC up to five or ten minutes before I can do anything as it loads a whole heap of stuff... I guess I should do something about that one of these days! wink.png
Hello HowardI am sure its not that. I have my PC set up in a clean boot mode most of the time . I know that the OS (xp by the way) loads up all sorts of services and things in the background but I often run Gamebooster and Ccleaner in attempt to shut down the unnecessary 'stuff' and that makes no difference ; its just a case of waiting ten minutes or so for things to smooth out .Actually your idea of starting up the PC and leaving if for ten minutes seems a good one to try.Sometimes when I feel a sim session coming on I will get everything set up and ready to go at my chosen dep airport and then leave the PC and Sim to 'settle down ' for ten minutes or so ,I don't know if it makes any difference to initial performance ,but I feel better for doing it.smile.pngThanks for your thoughts on my 'Sticky' PCCheers Andy.

Hi Andy, if it's not a problem, then simply leave the PC to boot up and settle down before using it. I always like to do that anyway, IMO it's a good habit.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Is it a wireless keyboard and mouse by any chance?
No Glenn the keyboard and mouse(laser) are both wired.I have downloaded a program called DPC LATENCY CHECKER this prog shows the problem in a graph .Not sure of the technical stuff but when PC is sticky stuttery the graph is all red ,when settled the graph shrinks and turns green . The program advises disabling various things using device manager IE USB stuff, network adapters stuff ,sound devices etc to try and isolate the possible culprit ,but so far doing this I have drawn a blank .Anyway all part of the joy of the modern PC.Thanks for your help guys.Andy