Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

XP10 Scenery Development by the Community

With the information that has been stated that the community will be able to develop scenery within XP10, I was wondering what applications a person would need to do this. If I understand things correctly, World Editor 1.1 or 1.2 will be included in XP10, but am wondering the functionality that it would have. Will someone be able to create art assets from this tool, or would a person need to use a tool like Blender? Any information would be appreciated. I am sure many people would be very interested in creating scenery in some capacity.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

X-Plane 10 will ship with an extensive library of art assets for airports from the get-go, you don't have to create anything. The World Editor (WED) is just a tool which allows you to place objects into the simulator. The big improvement with WED is that we should be able to draw an outline of an airport and WED will generate the terminal and the gates.

And no, like most sims/games, you'll still need to use a 3d modeller program to build NEW objects. Right now, plugins exist for Blender, Sketchup and AC3d to enable export to xplane.

And no, like most sims/games, you'll still need to use a 3d modeller program to build NEW objects. Right now, plugins exist for Blender, Sketchup and AC3d to enable export to xplane.
Thanks for the information. Another question, how would a person be able to edit an existing art asset, for instance, an autogen tree. Also, regarding Blender, do plugins exist for Blender 2.5+ or just 2.49?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Art assets are easy to edit, just load the .obj file via your application .obj importer.Grrr, I'm learning 2.6 blender, and am having probs getting the new blender plugin to work! I'm trying the 2.49 one as a work around and am stuck, will be getting help from the xplane.org gurus.I built a scenery object in 2.6 (wow, love it), but had a few glitches. works perfect in 2.56, but I couldn't export. So just opened it in 2.49 and it looks good, just need to get python working.

Art assets are easy to edit, just load the .obj file via your application .obj importer.Grrr, I'm learning 2.6 blender, and am having probs getting the new blender plugin to work! I'm trying the 2.49 one as a work around and am stuck, will be getting help from the xplane.org gurus.I built a scenery object in 2.6 (wow, love it), but had a few glitches. works perfect in 2.56, but I couldn't export. So just opened it in 2.49 and it looks good, just need to get python working.
Is there any information that is available that can help a person understand how to get started. This would be new to me.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

MikeYou would still have to learn how to model in 3D. Depending on your 3D application of choice, you would have to search for tutorials on how to go about modelling something. Then you will have to learn how to texture it. Once that is done, getting the mesh into x plane is relatively easy. There are many videos on youtube to help get you started.

MikeYou would still have to learn how to model in 3D. Depending on your 3D application of choice, you would have to search for tutorials on how to go about modelling something. Then you will have to learn how to texture it. Once that is done, getting the mesh into x plane is relatively easy. There are many videos on youtube to help get you started.
I have been looking at Blender 2.5+ tutorials. Would it make sense to download the latest version and learn to model? Also, would a person be able to get objects in from blender 2.5+?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I have been looking at Blender 2.5+ tutorials. Would it make sense to download the latest version and learn to model? Also, would a person be able to get objects in from blender 2.5+?
I'm not sure there are any scripts that work properly for anything above Blender 2.49. You COULD model in 2.5+ and then open it in 2.49 and then export.

I'm not sure there are any scripts that work properly for anything above Blender 2.49. You COULD model in 2.5+ and then open it in 2.49 and then export.
Thanks for the information and good suggestion. By the way, if an object, let's say a simple building, were created with bump mapping, would that bump mapping show up in XP10?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

Thanks for the information and good suggestion. By the way, if an object, let's say a simple building, were created with bump mapping, would that bump mapping show up in XP10?
Yes, bump mapping is fully supported in X Plane.

Yes, bump mapping is fully supported in X Plane.
So could autogen buildings, houses, and trees, be modified by adding bump mapping to them? How do you think that would look?

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

So could autogen buildings, houses, and trees, be modified by adding bump mapping to them? How do you think that would look?
Theoretically, sure. I never really thought about modifying the default objects by adding bump maps. Not sure how possible it would be, though. Tom or Andras would be more suited to answer that question.