Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Better Performance

Buying a i7 990x?ORi7 2700k?Which will give better FSX performance?I do plan to Overclock....

The 990X may give better performance at stock levels but if you got some balls and overclock the living daylights out of the 2700k, you should be able to achieve better than what the 990X would in FSX. I think the advantages of having 6 cores are to do with terrain loading.

There's a 980X and a 990X in the FSX benchmark: https://spreadsheets...=CMSSocoI#gid=0

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

L, surprised me too.Maybe Haswell or even Ivy Bridge will be like this do Sandy Bridge E, which is only a couple of days away.

L, surprised me too.Maybe Haswell or even Ivy Bridge will be like this do Sandy Bridge E, which is only a couple of days away.
That one I hardly doubt. No way we are seeing 30% more out of IB.

LOL, I never realized it can be 30% faster...
You seem to be very knowledgeable about CPU's GPU's etc..Any idea what I should go with?2700? or 990?

The evidence points to a significant superiority of the i7-2xxx over i7-980 or i7-990X for FSX. As Corey answered you that is easily seen in the results of the above pinned benchmark thread located at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?authkey=CMSSocoI&key=0AuiXjW8fJyDrdC1KZm5fSlJYdnJBaXRRclFuU0U3WUE&hl=en&authkey=CMSSocoI#gid=0. The i7-2700K would just enhance the difference even more if it can be safely cranked even higher than we routinely do with the earlier CPUs in the series.Kind regards.

You seem to be very knowledgeable about CPU's GPU's etc..Any idea what I should go with?2700? or 990?
Without a single doubt, 2700K.

Guest jahman
...Still not an INTEL ###### :)
Wait 'til Ivy Bridge! :Big Grin:Cheers,- jahman.

After 20yrs of building AMD gaming computers. I'm so tickled with this I7 it isn't even funny. My FSX runs better than my FS2004 ever did! No exaggeration. I debated the 2700 but most advice turned me to the 2600. I'm very pleased with that decision.Still not an INTEL ###### :)
I was running AMD from K6-2 days, but no sense swimming against the current forever.scott s..

I was a user of 980X, now using 2600K. Both on stock clock (since I cannot see any improvement in OCing for FSX). There is a improvement in frames and smoothness approx. 20-30%, so definitely go for newer CPU