Sign in to follow this  
tutmeister

Real aviation events

I'm wondering how most of you find real-world aviation events to go to. I'm talking air shows, fly-ins, meets, anything where a person off the street can go visit and see the world of aviation.Are there any decent websites where you can search within a radius of your home using a google map, for example?I'm within an hour of Tulsa and am finding it exceedingly difficult to find anything fun to do since I moved here a couple years ago. So any help would be appreciated in finding aviation events.

I appreciate the nice (read: condescending) way you put "FGI". I asked here, not because I'm unable to search, but because it's a respectable community filled with knowledgeable and like-minded individuals who might already know of a really good place to find the information I'm looking for. Because I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to weed through those fifty-four million six hundred thousand links to airshows....For anyone else who is able to search, but might want to know this information without doing so, the best one I have found so far is AOPA's list of events. I will update if I find anything better.

Give a person a fish and they eat for a day. Teach a person how to fish and they eat for a lifetime.

Yeah, that really doesn't apply to to this thread as I already explained, but I already can tell you're the type of person who likes the sound of their own voice, so I'll give up here as you know what they say about arguing on the internet...if not, may I suggest using google?

I appreciate the nice (read: condescending) way you put "FGI". I asked here, not because I'm unable to search, but because it's a respectable community filled with knowledgeable and like-minded individuals who might already know of a really good place to find the information I'm looking for. Because I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to weed through those fifty-four million six hundred thousand links to airshows....For anyone else who is able to search, but might want to know this information without doing so, the best one I have found so far is AOPA's list of events. I will update if I find anything better.
I found this http://www.tulsaairandspacemuseum.org/ Should be particularly close to you. No offence but, after a while of searching, Oklahoma seems boring. LOL.gif And Jim, that response was.... Worried.gif

Thanks Diego, I actually have wanted to go there for some time--I'm going to just have to make time to get it done! They were actually bidding on becoming the home of the last Space Shuttle over the summer, but were beaten out by larger cities. Yes, Oklahoma is quite possibly the most boring place I've ever lived I'm afraid. I'm from Holland originally and have lived in many countries, including Canada and other US States. Nothing quite beats the tumbleweed like middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma! :D

Thanks Diego, I actually have wanted to go there for some time--I'm going to just have to make time to get it done! They were actually bidding on becoming the home of the last Space Shuttle over the summer, but were beaten out by larger cities. Yes, Oklahoma is quite possibly the most boring place I've ever lived I'm afraid. I'm from Holland originally and have lived in many countries, including Canada and other US States. Nothing quite beats the tumbleweed like middle-of-nowhere Oklahoma! :D
You can go tomorrow which is Sunday. Probably won't have a lot of people.

You can go tomorrow which is Sunday. Probably won't have a lot of people.
I'm going shopping for a new aircraft tomorrow, but that might be a good alternative if it doesn't turn out to be a good buy.

I'm going shopping for a new aircraft tomorrow, but that might be a good alternative if it doesn't turn out to be a good buy.
A real one? mellow.pngIn a website like this I never know if people are talking about real life! tongue.png

Yes, although I mis-typed. I meant new as in I don't have it yet, but it'll be used.I'm looking around for an affordable aircraft that fits my criteria of affordable, fun and useful. It'll likely be a 172, as my buddy has only ever flown 172's and doesn't want to deviate from that. I am reliant on his part ownership. Unfortunately, my military flying days have me tarnished and I'm now a snob because I'm used to getting paid to fly multi-million dollar aircraft--now I have to pay to fly aircraft that cost less than what I earn in a year! Like going from a ferrari to a ford!!:D I'm certain I'll still enjoy it though.

Yes, although I mis-typed. I meant new as in I don't have it yet, but it'll be used.I'm looking around for an affordable aircraft that fits my criteria of affordable, fun and useful. It'll likely be a 172, as my buddy has only ever flown 172's and doesn't want to deviate from that. I am reliant on his part ownership. Unfortunately, my military flying days have me tarnished and I'm now a snob because I'm used to getting paid to fly multi-million dollar aircraft--now I have to pay to fly aircraft that cost less than what I earn in a year! Like going from a ferrari to a ford!!:D I'm certain I'll still enjoy it though.
Woah woah woah. Real or not?!JK.How rich are you!?!?! I wish I had money to buy one myself also!

Woah woah woah. Real or not?! JK. How rich are you!?!?! I wish I had money to buy one myself also!
It's actually more affordable than you think. If you're in flight training, or need to build hours after flight training, owning an aircraft is a lot cheaper than renting. You can buy an alright Cessna 172 for under $25k, which isn't much much more than your average persons car these days. So if you go cheap on everything else in life, the one thing you love can be a reality. ;)

It's actually more affordable than you think. If you're in flight training, or need to build hours after flight training, owning an aircraft is a lot cheaper than renting. You can buy an alright Cessna 172 for under $25k, which isn't much much more than your average persons car these days. So if you go cheap on everything else in life, the one thing you love can be a reality. ;)
I'm in training though. Can't right now. What year?

If I'm lucky it'll be early 80's, but if I find any with good IFR equipment it'll be 1970's more than likely. I'm trying to avoid beat up old trainers...which is kind of hard.