Sign in to follow this  
victorlima01

GS on/off function missing post-sp1?

Don´t want to be the one crying wolf here, but can anyone please confirm that the glideslope function is missing from the FMC after installing SP1? I cannot find it anymore in any of the pages of the CDU where it whould´ve been. Maybe it´s an option that I have to check in the PMDG´s options menu and I´m missing something. If it´s indeed missing I´ll submit a ticket to Ryan, but I don´tt want to do that before others confirm this is the issue. He probably has enough work as it is.

I have it when I chose an ILS approach runway in the FMC app section, just below it when and just after chosing it. Example ILS06R, once activated it popups the G/S on or off.

You have this in the CDU Menu option......./ Leffe

Can you please point me to it Leffe? I just tried all pages of the menu and submenus and couldn´t find it.I ask because as I was approaching Innsbruck yestaerday via the LOC DME EAST approach the FMC captured a glidepath instead of the glideslope. So I thought that the GS must have been inadvertently set to off in the "landing ref" CDU page. However, when I accessed this page I did not have the green GS function anymore. So I just flew the FMC-computed glidepath. But the Localizer for LOWI does have a glideslope despite the misnomer.If I recall correctly, the GS on/off feature was available on multiple CDU pages before I noticed it was missing:1. Perf Init (?)2. Landing Ref3. Arrivals page, as Mark stated prevously

Edited by victorlima01

Can you please point me to it Leffe? I just tried all pages of the menu and submenus and couldn´t find it.I ask because as I was approaching Innsbruck yestaerday via the LOC DME EAST approach the FMC captured a glidepath instead of the glideslope. So I thought that the GS must have been inadvertently set to off in the "landing ref" CDU page. However, when I accessed this page I did not have the green GS function anymore. So I just flew the FMC-computed glidepath. But the Localizer for LOWI does have a glideslope despite the misnomer.If I recall correctly, the GS on/off feature was available on multiple CDU pages before I noticed it was missing:1. Perf Init (?)2. Landing Ref3. Arrivals page, as Mark stated prevously
Glide slope and glide path at two different things. A glide slope is projected by a ground based transmitter and is one of the five componants of a full ILS. As you note, LOWI does not have one. A glide path is computed by the FMS under certain parameters and for, I believe, certain RNP (or maybe RNAV?) based approaches, of which there are a couple of types. "GS" and "GP" are annunciated on the PFD as appropriate. I believe there's an RNP with vertical guidance into LOWI, although the exact nomenclature escapes me at the moment.

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

I ask because as I was approaching Innsbruck yestaerday via the LOC DME EAST approach the FMC captured a glidepath instead of the glideslope.
A LOC DME approach does not have a GS, only a full ILS does.

Jay

Can you please point me to it Leffe? I just tried all pages of the menu and submenus and couldn´t find it. /
What I meant was that you can choose in CDU Menu>Optionif you wan´t to have G/S capture before Localizer, or if you wan´t the other way around by choosing Deny option.(But I guess you already knew this)Off course the Rwy has to be an ILS (For G/S showing) and not just an VOR, LOC or RNAV RwyUsing Maps for the arrival Rwy is a must I think./ Leffe

Gentlemen, perhaps I wasn't able to express myself clearly. Let me try once again: I'm fully aware of the difference between an FMC-computed glidepath and an ILS glideslope. What I mean to say is that LOWI's LOC/DME East approach has a functional GLIDESLOPE despite the misleading nomenclature. At least that's what Mr. Jeppessen told me last time I checked. For obvious reasons, I cannot paste the jeppesen plate here to show you guys, but I'll try to dig up the plate from the Austrian AIP site (sorry, I'm on an iPad). That's my point. If the approach has a glideslope available, the FMC should default to glideslope and give me the option to disable it, then calculating a glidepath. Instead, my FMA announces that it is following a glidepath from the get-go, and I can't find the green gs option. Perhaps it is an error in FSX's database, or navdata's AIRAC. All I know is, there should be a glideslope available according to real world charts.I'll check in other flights if I can find the "green gs option" for lack of a better term. Perhaps post-sp1 this has been made only available after you select an ILS approach, and since the FMC understands that there is no gs in LOWI (despite the plate saying otherwise) it automatically hides the option. Hopefully Ryan can shed some light.

I see what you are seeing, no G/S on/off for non-precision approaches, but I assumed that it was done on purpose. No point in a toggle for a glideslope on an approach where g/s is n/a.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

I see what you are seeing, no G/S on/off for non-precision approaches, but I assumed that it was done on purpose. No point in a toggle for a glideslope on an approach where g/s is n/a.
I agree Scott, it makes sense to hide that option when selecting a non precision approach. Except that in Innsbruck's case specifically there is a glideslope available. From what I understood after inspecting the plate closely, it is indeed considered a non-precision approach. Its name is Loc DME east approach, and not ILS or LDA. It has an MDA, not a DA/DH. However, there is a glideslope coupled to that localizer, thus the FMC should give you the option to follow that, and not generate a fictitious glidepath. I know the net result is the same. Still I wanted to have this discussion to see if I was seeing things wrongly.

I agree Scott, it makes sense to hide that option when selecting a non precision approach. Except that in Innsbruck's case specifically there is a glideslope available. From what I understood after inspecting the plate closely, it is indeed considered a non-precision approach. Its name is Loc DME east approach, and not ILS or LDA. It has an MDA, not a DA/DH. However, there is a glideslope coupled to that localizer, thus the FMC should give you the option to follow that, and not generate a fictitious glidepath. I know the net result is the same. Still I wanted to have this discussion to see if I was seeing things wrongly.
I'm just going to throw this out there...but if the FSX version of the LOWI approach doesn't have the glideslope, how would the NGX know whether or not to even give you the GS option in APPR REF?? In other words, if you don't have a frequency tuned that has a localizer and glideslope, how will the NGX know to give you the option in the CDU?EDIT: I just checked in ADEX and the default RWY26 approach does have a good glideslope and localizer...however, the type of approach in the file is "LOCALIZER" so I'm wondering if maybe this only allows the localizer to be transmitted in FSX??

On the Innsbruck case, my guess would be this information would be in the navdata in real life, so the real life FMS would know there is a G/S there and display the toggle appropriately.But in FSX, we do the best we can.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

Gentlemen, perhaps I wasn't able to express myself clearly. Let me try once again:I'm fully aware of the difference between an FMC-computed glidepath and an ILS glideslope. What I mean to say is that LOWI's LOC/DME East approach has a functional GLIDESLOPE despite the misleading nomenclature. At least that's what Mr. Jeppessen told me last time I checked. For obvious reasons, I cannot paste the jeppesen plate here to show you guys, but I'll try to dig up the plate from the Austrian AIP site (sorry, I'm on an iPad).That's my point. If the approach has a glideslope available, the FMC should default to glideslope and give me the option to disable it, then calculating a glidepath. Instead, my FMA announces that it is following a glidepath from the get-go, and I can't find the green gs option. Perhaps it is an error in FSX's database, or navdata's AIRAC. All I know is, there should be a glideslope available according to real world charts.I'll check in other flights if I can find the "green gs option" for lack of a better term. Perhaps post-sp1 this has been made only available after you select an ILS approach, and since the FMC understands that there is no gs in LOWI (despite the plate saying otherwise) it automatically hides the option. Hopefully Ryan can shed some light.
Well, well, LOWI finally got an ILS! Victor, a slight correction is still in order on your statement, since when you say "that LOWI's LOC/DME East approach has a functional GLIDE SLOPE despite the misleading nomenclature," you're not quite right. There is a standard and special CAT II/III ILS RWY 28 approach on the Austria charting website as well as the LLZ/DME East approach. However, and this is for the benefit of other readers that may not catch the nuance, if you're flying the LLZ/DME East approach, you fly the charted altitudes and not the glide slope. To use the glide slope legally, and much more importantly, safety, you have to fly the standard or Special CAT II/III ILS RWY 28 procedure as charted. One look at the profile view shows a big difference in how you set up.

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

Thnx for the heads-up Marcus. Guess we´ll have to wait and see. I´ll write to Ryan later saying that there is a glideslope available at LOWI. I think he´ll be particularly interested in knowing that since he´s planing to use Innsbruck in the next tutorial.