Sign in to follow this  
CoolP

The book regarding Earth Simulations by Ray Marshall

Ray, I hope you don't feel offended but you've easily broken the word and picture count benchmark set by Alan. I never thought that was possible though. biggrin.pngSeriously, a big 'wow!' to the all the work going into the review. It may take me all week to read it in full and I'm sure that the emotions on the huge detail may differ from person to person. But count me in on the ones appreciating it.Those sceneries are nice stuff and they sometimes may get lost when the small flight sim world focuses on the big names in the low'n slow business only.So thanks for bringing them to attention and surely another thanks for looking at them in that detail.

It really is a very long review, but, it is 3 reviews of scenery and one of the A2A J-3 cub. Plus it is the first AVSIM review of Earth Simulations so it just ended up way long, but lots of great shots. Thanks for the comments. All the kudos to Soya for the screenshots and Robert, our review editor.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

As a confirmed FS9 holdout, I don't usually bother to read reviews of FSX only products. But the Channel Islands have long held a fascination for me so I did read this review and it is outstanding. Long? Yes, but full of interest and humor and held my attention all the way, except when I was looking at some of the screen shots and saying "Holy ---- it really is a screenie and not a photo!"Every now and then an FSX product comes along that I would love to have and I think to myself "Shall I give FSX another try?" Usually I reluctantly say "no." In this case your review "almost persuadeth me!" (Roman governor speaking to St Paul in the Book of Acts somewhere - no it isn't Shakespeare!)Wonderful work Ray - my congratulations! im Not Worthy.gifIan

As a confirmed FS9 holdout, I don't usually bother to read reviews of FSX only products. But the Channel Islands have long held a fascination for me so I did read this review and it is outstanding. Long? Yes, but full of interest and humor and held my attention all the way, except when I was looking at some of the screen shots and saying "Holy ---- it really is a screenie and not a photo!"Every now and then an FSX product comes along that I would love to have and I think to myself "Shall I give FSX another try?" Usually I reluctantly say "no." In this case your review "almost persuadeth me!" (Roman governor speaking to St Paul in the Book of Acts somewhere - no it isn't Shakespeare!)Wonderful work Ray - my congratulations! im%20Not%20Worthy.gifIan
Thanks for the kind remarks, Ian. The channel Isles are a real popular vacation spot based on their beauty. As part of my research, I am now on the receiving end of some nice promotional literature that is being air mailed to me. Makes me think Jersey should be on our bucket list. Scilly is nothing to sneeze at, as the whole package is done at 15 cm and the water is gorgeous. I like it just to watch the sailboat races. If you decide to pass on loading up FSX, check back around Christmas and see what the Isle of Man looks like. The island is 10 times the physical size of these and the scenery package will most like be even more efficient. Amazing stuff.Oh, and I found a wind surfer near Guernsey. My sailboat came in second.Ray

I just have to say a BIG thank you for that review. It is the msot brilliant one I have read for a long time. I own the scenery for a while but after reading your review I will surely take another flight today.THANKS RAY!

Fun review indeed! I have the Scilly Isles scenery and I can confirm that it is the most amazing scenery yet for any flight sim. I just can't stand the ES scenery installer, so I won't be getting the rest of the islands on offer... :(

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Fun review indeed! I have the Scilly Isles scenery and I can confirm that it is the most amazing scenery yet for any flight sim. I just can't stand the ES scenery installer, so I won't be getting the rest of the islands on offer... sad.png
SimmerheadI agree. Isle of Scilly is really something to behold.The new version of the installer is just about as easy as I can imagine. I did not see the earlier versions. You can get on the chat line and discuss your displeasure with Darren and see if he can find a delivery method to suit you. He sounds very accomodating to me.Ray

I just can't stand the ES scenery installer, so I won't be getting the rest of the islands on offer... sad.png
They've changed quite a bit with the 2.1 version. You can now make installer packages, so no need to download gigabytes when reinstalling or switching options.I'm just mentioning this because some of my friends had concerns on the download only basis the older installer offered. While the opportunity to always download your purchases is indeed nice, the lack of installer packages was a big con.If I read it correctly, Earth Sim will also offer box products soon. I don't know how the ESI is used there though. So maybe do as Ray has suggested, head over to the forums and ask the detail questions before missing the other nice sceneries. smile.png

The problem is that I don't want an installer, old or new version. I don't like to add more programs to Windows and flood its registry and menues with totally useless software. I regularlry reinstall both Windows and FSX as I have several computers. That forced me to install the ES scenery installer again, then download the whole scenery again. The Scilly Isles scenery is quite large and takes forever to download.The unconventional installer is simply an annoyance. I want to download a file once, save it on my harddrive and install and uninstall the scenery whenever it suits me, just like I do with almost every other addon I own. It would be no problem to select the features you'd like installed in an exe-file, instead of the current system. In fact it would be faster, as you'd save the time it takes to launch the ES Installer and navigate through its menus.I'm sure this is a measure the developers have taken to protect themselves from piracy, but it is an annoyance to me as a customer. As such they've lost my business as I'd like to own all of their sceneries.They're not alone though. I don't buy anything from Flight1 or RealAir either as they tend to overcomplicate buying and installing their addons.I might be the odd grumpy customer. For all I know most simmers love the ES installer. All the best to ES. I hope they have all the success in the world, because their FSX scenery is currently the best there is.

Hi simmerhead

I want to download a file once, save it on my harddrive and install and uninstall the scenery whenever it suits me,
This was a very common feedback request in earlier versions of ESI, which is addressed in version 2.1. A user now has a choice to download the installation files locally for future offline installation, or can can choose to continue as before to store your files online with us to be re-downloaded at any time, if say local disk space were short in supply.

Hi simmerheadThis was a very common feedback request in earlier versions of ESI, which is addressed in version 2.1. A user now has a choice to download the installation files locally for future offline installation, or can can choose to continue as before to store your files online with us to be re-downloaded at any time, if say local disk space were short in supply.
Thanks for your kind reply. I will download the latest installer and see if mine is an old outated version. Will report back here of my findings.

The 2.1 version of the ESI is certainly better, but still, I prefer a more conventional way of buying and installing addons. After some head scratching I finally figured out how to download the files for a later manual installation. Isles of Scilly is the greatest FSX scenery to date, but I just don't get the point of the ESI...

I don't buy anything from Flight1 or RealAir either as they tend to overcomplicate buying and installing their addons.I might be the odd grumpy customer. For all I know most simmers love the ES installer. All the best to ES. I hope they have all the success in the world, because their FSX scenery is currently the best there is.
HelloIf there is anything easier than the Flight1 installer I am yet to see it.Truly a no-brainer to use and the best around when it comes to reinstalling stuff you have forgotten the details for.

Ray, a very good read. It took me some time with my schedule but you did a fantastic job! :)

HelloIf there is anything easier than the Flight1 installer I am yet to see it.Truly a no-brainer to use and the best around when it comes to reinstalling stuff you have forgotten the details for.
Sure is. Just bought an addon where I got an exe file that I ran. Took me 2 seconds from start to finnish. No passwords, keys or separate installers - just a simple file to run, confirm/change FSX folder, and then it was done in a flash!