Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Military saying upon rocket launch

Hi gyus, I´ve just installed the Ultrapack 3 for IL-2 1946. It fransforms the good ol´ IL-2 to an jet era game with absolutely stunning grafics. Will show some pic´s late in the screen shots forum.I currently learn to fight with jets in the F-86 Sabre equipped with AIM-9B/D rockets. (Getting the big ones down is now somehow easy!). I´ve heared in variouse movies (Independance Day,...) the saying "Fox one, Fox two,..." before a rocket launch. What does that mean? Any deeper sense on that?

What is the Ultrapax 3 you refer to?

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Fox one means radar guided missile launch. Fox two means heat seeking missile launch.

What is the Ultrapax 3 you refer to?
It´s an 6+ Gb download with the latest mods and an overall improoved gameplay. The grafics are stunning now and the souds have also been upraded. But the biggest point is that you can now fly all the post war jets like F9F Panther, the P-80 Shooting Star, nearly all versions of the F-86 Sabre with working Sidewinder rockets and much more improoved waponery and some bug fixes.Check it out there http://ultrapack.il2war.com/
Fox one means radar guided missile launch. Fox two means heat seeking missile launch.
All right, thanks.

What I recall is Fox 1 is forward hemisphere missile and Fox 2 rear hemisphere, but it amounts to the same thing.scott s..

It´s an 6+ Gb download with the latest mods and an overall improoved gameplay. The grafics are stunning now and the souds have also been upraded. But the biggest point is that you can now fly all the post war jets like F9F Panther, the P-80 Shooting Star, nearly all versions of the F-86 Sabre with working Sidewinder rockets and much more improoved waponery and some bug fixes.Check it out there http://ultrapack.il2war.com/
Thanks for that. I may have to reinstall 1946.

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Thanks for that. I may have to reinstall 1946.
You HAVE to! It´s awesome! :smile.

What I recall is Fox 1 is forward hemisphere missile and Fox 2 rear hemisphere, but it amounts to the same thing.scott s..
That doesn't make any sense. The calls were made so that other aircraft in the area would be aware of what type of missile was being lobbed into the airspace, so that they were aware of what kind of guidance system was out there looking for a target to hit. Whether or not you were shooting somebody in the nose or the rear-end is irrelevant to your wingmen who need to know that they need to be careful where they point their tailpipe.

If I'm not mistaken...Fox One refers to a Sidewinder (AIM-9)Fox Two refers to a Sparrow/ AMRAAM (AIM-7/ AIM-120)Fox Three referred to the Phoenix. (AIM-54)Alan :)

COSIMbanner_AVSIM3.jpg