Sign in to follow this  

A Great Day for Toronto City Centre Airport CYTZ!

Today the city council voted in favour of building a fixed link bridge from the downtown core to the island airport. Not only will this mean increased air traffic and it's associated economical benefits, but it also means that the Bombardier Dash 8 factory in nearby Downsview may have an opportunity to sell as many as 15 Dash-8-Q400 aircraft to a new upstart airline to start operations out of YTZ.This means that those laid off from Bombardier may have a chance at returning to work, not to mention all the other jobs created from construction to ticket agents.Of course this plan had it's enemies, mostly environmentalists who claim that the added pollution, both noise and chemical, will destroy the quiet, green "waterfront" type of environment that currently exists. On the contrary, the turbine engine is much more efficient at burning fuel than a piston engine (which most flights in and out of YTZ currently are), and the new Dash 8's are truly remarkable in their sound output at take-off power. It has to "not" be heard to realize that Q really does mean quiet.The island residents have also had their opposition to the planned expansion too. Perhaps they'll feel better when they start to realize the benefits of the new airport.And since I used to build the Q400, if I can't get recalled from layoff, perhaps this new airline would be interested??Obviously I'm in favour of this expansion as it may affect me directly but I also think this is the kind of thing that will be a great benefit to the city of Toronto and it's aviation sector, and will set the example for the rest of the world in inner-city air transportation. Imagine flying into a major city centre, and being able to access it's business district in 5 to 10 minutes?CF-AOA

Having flown in/out of Toronto several times, I can only see a positive environmental impact by this. I well remember driving out of Pearson, and the traffic and congestion. I'd see this as getting people out of their rental cars and into public transportation--considering the number of day trippers Toronto's business core must generate.One blessing we have in Phoenix is an airport close to the city center. Even my home in a far west suburb is only a 20-25 minute drive to the airport, which is pretty much in the geographical center of our urban area. There's a movement to move it out east, mostly motivated by bad blood between Phoenix and some of the eastern suburbs. That would be a huge mistake. There's many complaints about airport noise, but Sky Harbor was there long before those complaining. I'd rather have airport noise than gridlock, which would become much worse in our already congested eastern suburbs.It's amazing how we've grown. The urban area stretches nearly 70 miles East to West, and nearly 50 miles North to South. We should be well over 7 million in another 15 years or so. By then, we'll need 2 or 3 airports!

I am currently a Dash_8 Pilot for Jazz (formerly Air Ontario) and I can tell you that our Dash8s make a hell of a alot less noise than most piston twins do. Nothing in this world (except a Norseman) makes more noise thatn a 2 bladed C_185. The clowns hat were protesting the bridge were the same losers that have been squatting on the property for years. Congrats YTZ and best of luck to the Deluces if they go forward with their plan. If anyone can make it work, it is these guys!

Hi Desert Rat,You took the words right out of my mouth. In my previous post I was going to give my opinion on the island residents and the word that came to mind was "squatters". I decided to leave it out in order to not sound too harsh.But realistically, they are squatters that the city has let live there for years. I guess the "out of sight, out of mind" rationale comes into play there. The island residences, from what I've seen, are no more than shacks and I'm sure more than a few are collecting welfare. Therefore what good are they doing for the island, or for the City of Toronto for that matter? Now not to sound mean to them or anything, but don't you think that the benefits of this expansion are, as a whole, better for the city of Toronto? Or should we just scrap the whole idea so that a few people can continue to collect welfare. I'm honestly surprised some rich developer hasn't built some expensive condos on it yet. Anyways you know what I think about it....And as for the GA traffic at YTZ. Yep, been there done that. While visiting one day last summer, there was a guy in a 185 who decided to stand on the brakes, crank on full power and then let her rip. The loudest bloody noise I've heard in a long time. Funny though, there weren't any island residents around to hear it, hehe.And lastly, any rumours floating around Jazz about buying some Q400's? I heard one a while ago that they were looking at up to 50 new turbos. And as a Dash pilot, have you tried Oleksiy Frolov's Dash 8 and if so what do you think?CF-AOA

AOA, I have heard every rumour possible at Jazz. The fact is, management can't tell what is going to happen tomorow let alone next month. As far as Frolov's plane goes, I have not. I will have to have a boo. There are some dash8 models out there but I yet to find one that "has it all". SOme fly great but have poor panels, some are the opposite. I find many models have some good qualities, but lack some. Being a beginer designer myself, I know how overwhelming a complete model can be. I will get that dash 8 and give it a try however. I think someone is about to release a commercial Dash. I await it!!Cheers

Hi there "Desert Rat" do you guy's fly into CYHM at all? I used toofly out of Hamilton and it's one of the Airports that I will be doingfor our Toronto and area scenery. Anyway as I now live on VancouverIsland I don't get to CYHM (or Toronto) all that much would it be possable to get a pic or two?. Please emil me I you can. Dan

Hi Desert Rat,Typical management doesn't have a clue. Those guys should come out once in awhile and get their hands dirty, then they might have an inkling in to the real world, hehe.I haven't had a chance to try the Dash myself yet as I've been learning the A320 series from the same people that are making the Dash you referred to; Phoenix Simulation Software. Anyways, I did try the previous version Frolov's Dash and it and it is pretty good. The visual model is acceptable, but the flight dynamics are pretty good (coming from a mech anyways). However, I think you'll feel right at home with the avionics, engine ops, etc. Very good systems modelling.And hi Dan. Glad to hear someone is going to do a Pearson scenery. I work on the ramp at T3 and it is really depressing to see the default scenery in FS after a day at work with all the business that goes on there. CF-AOA

!! !!! well then I WILL be talking to you!need good shots of the air side for texturing and some pics of the VDS(Visual Docking System) if at all possible! I take pride in the detail that I put into my models BTW so if it's possable for you to help me in getting goodpictures I would be a real happy little camper!!. Dan

Dan,I would love to help you out, but I do not have a digital camera nor do we fly into Hamilton. TO Island is as stopover base for us. We onlyt hvae bases in YYZ and YXU in this part of the world. I am however going to download your TBay scenery. I flew in TBay whenI was in college, instructed for the college and later flew for Bearskin Airlines. Screenshots look great. Keep up the nice work:)Cheers

Well thanks for Responding anyway and if you ever get the chance...And please do upload our scenery (you will se why I was asking for any photos you might be able to get your hands on). Dan

Only because it's a lake front city!

Hi Dan,I too do not own a digital camera or a scanner so getting pics to you might be difficult. However the GTAA (Greater Toronto Airports Authority) gave me a current map of the airport including the construction areas, new terminal, parking areas, gates, de-ice, vehicle corridors, etc. etc. Perhaps I could get one for you. Also try their website at http://www.gtaa.com/I think they've got computer modelled pics of the airport up. If there is anything else I can do to try and help, let me know.CF-AOA

Hi "AOA" mostly what I need are texture quality photos of T-3's airside and a pic or two of the VDS (Visual Docking System) the GTAsite has little that's of use to me. I have modeled most ot the mainbuildings (all terminals the main Air Canada hangers etc) it's textures that I need and pictures of the fiber optic lit taxiway signs! The last time I modeled CYYZ I had to make 346 taxiway signsalone for CYYZ!. And that was almost three years ago before they added the extention to taxiway J and alot of the new "double" taxiway system was finished. Anyway thanks for the offer maybe when you get a chance you can scan in that Airport diagram for me!. Dan

Hi Dan,Gimme a couple of days (I'm on now for the next 3) and I'll see what I can do.I'll drop a line back in this thread when I have more info for ya.CF-AOAKyle

!! !! Jim and(well mostly me as I do the models!!) thank you!!. Dan