Sign in to follow this  
millerj818

Out of memory and other problems

So this all began a few weeks ago when flight sim crashed. Don’t remember all the details but I was experiencing the black vertical lines issue and then it crashed and said the Nvidia driver crashed. I went ahead and installed the newest Nvidia driver for my card. I also decided to do a full reinstall of FSX as one of the other main problems I had been experiencing I wanted to hopefully resolve. That issue was upon starting the 2nd engine the sound would be very loud, almost as if I had switched to an outside view. It was just a loud roar. I used to just press Q and turn the sound off for a second and then turn it back on and the sound returned to normal. That was no longer working and I would have to listen to the distorted sound. I figured maybe it was a sound dll problem or something.Anyways, I did a full reinstall following a guide to the T, I also installed each of the service packs. I then setup FSX per the guide written by NickN and reset all the settings to what I had them at before. For the most part I have everything maxed (not ai traffic though). I really never had any problems in the past with FSX running it was always pretty smooth no matter where, when, or what I was flying. After the reinstall I did not reinstall most of the add on aircraft I once had, only one really. I added some WOAI traffic in and also some AFCADs but everything else was pretty much stock FSX.I still have the same sound issue, pressing Q does nothing to help. Occasionally I would switch to an outside view and back in but that didn’t help either. If I advanced power up to a certain level the “extra” sound would go away and it would be more normal sounding but still distorted. I was then doing a flight to La Guardia and while descending through the NYC area FSX froze and gave me the out of available memory error which I have NEVER had happen on this system. I have flown into and out of NYC with various aircraft and times of day and NEVER had this happen. I retried the flight and the same thing happened again.I made a few adjustments to a few settings and things seemed to improve. I tried a flight leaving LGA during the day this time, everything went pretty well until about 5-10 minutes into the flight as I was approaching my cruise altitude it locked up again and I got an out of memory error again. This was climbing into mostly clear skies with relatively featureless terrain (at least nothing as complex as NYC).This is really bugging me as my system has never really had problems running FSX in the past and I have for the most part not changed or added anything to it.Running XP Pro SP3Core 2 duo E8400 3.0Ghz2G RamNvidia GeForce 9800GTX+FSX SP2Any ideas?

Guest jahman

Sort of like donning clean underwear before going to the doctor, a few general suggestions:

1. Start FSX prior to installing each successive SP,
  2. Enable Windows Update so your MSVC and .NET runtmes are up-to-date,
  3. Rename your fsx.cfg to force FSX to rebuild a new one from scratch,

More specific stuff:

1. The idea is to see (hear, really) if the loud second engine is due to a too loud engine, an overly sensitive camera mike or (most likely) a problem with your 3D sound installation.
  2. Switch from whatever view your in to another view (camera) to see if the loud second engine sound persists.
  3. Also place yourself ousite the aircraft in fron and in the back
  4. Switch aircraft and see if the problem persists.

Cheers,- jahman.

1. Start FSX prior to installing each successive SP, -Did that
  2. Enable Windows Update so your MSVC and .NET runtmes are up-to-date, -It is enabled and I usually install updates when they appear.
  3. Rename your fsx.cfg to force FSX to rebuild a new one from scratch, -Did that

More specific stuff:

1. The idea is to see (hear, really) if the loud second engine is due to a too loud engine, an overly sensitive camera mike or (most likely) a problem with your 3D sound installation. -Don't have a camera or mike attached. It is like you can hear the loud roar of the engine at full power even though it is just starting. A problem with the 3D sound installation sounds reasonable, how would I correct that?
  2. Switch from whatever view your in to another view (camera) to see if the loud second engine sound persists. -Usually if I switch to an outside view the sound is normal exterior sounds, but switching back into the 2d view the loud roar returns. Recently I started both engines, the roar was present, I pressed Q to turn the sound off and then again to turn it back on and the roar was still there.. Upon switching to an outside view the sound was normal. I pressed Q twice to turn the sound off and then on again and the roar was not present though not as loud or pronounced as in the 2d view. Upon switching back into the 2d view the sound was back to normal.
  3. Also place yourself ousite the aircraft in fron and in the back -Doesn't make a different which end of the plane looking at.
  4. Switch aircraft and see if the problem persists. -Occasionally it does. I loaded a flight with the default 737 and didn't have a problem (so made me think it was just a problem with the downloaded sound set) but upon switching back and forth with other aircraft the problem would show up randomly. The default 747 for example had the same problem with the loud roar but I could not get it to go back to normal.

Thanks for the reply

Guest jahman

By camera I mean the camera definition ("point-of-view") FSX uses to render the sim image on your screen, while the "mike" position associated with that camera determines what sounds are played back and at what relative levels Left/Right to create the illusikon that you are standing where the screen image implies you are standing.Since the loud engine seems to be intermittent, it "sounds" Big Grin.gif like you are having a problem with your 3D Sound installation rather than corrupted aircraft configuration file.What sound card are you using, or are you using the MB on-board sound chip? Are the drivers up-to-date?Try using the DX Diagnostics tool ("Sound" Tab).Cheers,- jahman.

Gotcha. I am just using the on-board sound. I updated the sound driver when I updated my video card driver. Looks like the last update for it was 2008, don't know if there is a more recent one.Any ideas on the out of memory error though? Like I said I have NEVER experienced it on this system.

Guest jahman

What LOD Radious are you using?If you get to 4 GBy VAS - Virtual Address Space useage, FSX will OOM-CTD.Check FSX VAS via Process Explorer.post-112168-0-90645000-1321384969_thumb.jpgCheers,- jahman.

The LOD Radius is set at the default 4.5. I feel like I had edited that in the cfg before I did the uninstall/reinstall but don't remember what I would have set it at.Downloaded process explorer and tried a quick flight into LGA again, never saw it get to 2GBs but maybe I need to fly longer. I should also mention from other things I had been reading I tried the boot.ini edit and after that I was able to complete a flight with out the OOM. That didn't make a difference for the sound.I just don't understand why I never had this issue before and what could have caused it.

Guest jahman
  1. LOD radius is one of the causes for an OOM CTD.
  2. FSX is Large Address Aware, so set Windows to let FSX use 3 GBy by typing the following command into the DOS Command Prompt (Text Terminal): BCDEDIT /set increaseuserva 3072
  3. Reboot the PC

Cheers,- jahman.

Gotcha, as I said I do recall editing that before on the previous install of FSX but don't remember what it was set at, I don't even remember which way I went with it.I Previously added this line to the end of my boot.ini /3GB/Userva=2560Does that not accomplish the same thing?

Guest jahman

2560 would be 2.5 GBy, whereas 3072 is 3 GBy max RAM for FSX.Cheers,- jahman.

Will check that out then, I only have 2GB ram installed if that matters.I did a longer flight and didn't get the OOM though there were a few times I could tell it was struggling a bit as it would hang for a second or two but I can deal with that. Just concerns me what might be going on in the background to cause all this.Still haven't found a fix for the sound, going to try a few other things.