Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Black Textures

I get these with more demanding scenery and aircraft - particularly with the heavy duty orbx airports YMML, YBBN and especially YSCB when flying the PMDG 737NGX - but also at other places such as the Flightbeam KSFO. What happens is that on approach maybe about 10 DME the scenery in front of the aircraft goes black and stays black for up to 10 seconds or so. I get similar artifacts if I pan around the aircraft but these are less troublesome and only last a second or so. I have had a thread about this on the orbx support forum for about a month but so far no one has come up with anything that fixes the problem. I've played around with a range of suggested tweaks but none make any difference (bufferpools, defragging reducing AA and AF etc etc). I've started monitoring my video card with nvidia inspector and I get the most long lasting black textures when there is a sudden large increase in vram usage like from 40% (of 1.2 gig) to 90%. By and large I am happy with the way my system (I 7 960 @ 3.2, nvidia 470, 6 gig ram, win764) handles FSX otherwise - frames consistent with what others report with similar systems, no blurries CTDs etc. so I don't want to make wholesale changes that may impact with way FSX performs with other aircraft and scenery.Perhaps a wider audience on this forum may have some clues.ThanksBruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Usually associated with getting low on available memory. make sure you have the Highmemfix=1 activated
Makes no difference whether Highmemfix=1 is activated or not. Is the solution more ram, vram or both? My video card has 1.3 gig vram and I have 6 gig of 1600 corsair ramBruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Bruce, I don't think this is a low memory problem. The texture loading rate in your system isn't fast enough to keep up with the scenery updates.I recommend that you try the following fsx.cfg tweaks:1) If you have enabled the FPS limit inside FSX then increase the TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT=xx value in the fsx.cfg file. A value of 60-100 max should be enough, I think.2) If you run FSX with FPS=unlimited then increase (or add if not present) the TextureMaxLoad variable under the DISPLAY section (careful: not the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the GRAPHICS section). A value of 9, 12, 15 or 30 should do the trick.In both cases use the lower value that corrects the issue. Please report the results.Nikos

Thanks I will give these suggestions a try after I get back from a weekend away from home.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Bruce, I don't think this is a low memory problem. The texture loading rate in your system isn't fast enough to keep up with the scenery updates. I recommend that you try the following fsx.cfg tweaks: 1) If you have enabled the FPS limit inside FSX then increase the TEXTURE_BANDWITH_MULT=xx value in the fsx.cfg file. A value of 60-100 max should be enough, I think. 2) If you run FSX with FPS=unlimited then increase (or add if not present) the TextureMaxLoad variable under the DISPLAY section (careful: not the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD in the GRAPHICS section). A value of 9, 12, 15 or 30 should do the trick. In both cases use the lower value that corrects the issue. Please report the results. Nikos
Yes the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=9 tweak did the trick no more black textures but I now get blurries instead for about ten seconds or so as the vram usage jumps from 40 to 90% didn't have those previously.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Yes the TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=9 tweak did the trick no more black textures but I now get blurries instead for about ten seconds or so as the vram usage jumps from 40 to 90% didn't have those previously.Bruce
HelloYou should have TextureMaxLoad=9 not TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=9

HelloYou should have TextureMaxLoad=9 not TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=9
"TextureMaxLoad=9" is what I added to my fsx.cfg - sorry about the confusion. As I said this does away with the black textures but in their place I now get blurries for about 10 - 15 secs as the vram usage jumps from about 40% to 90% on approach to heavy duty airports such as orbx YSCB. Not as big an issue as the black textures but it would be good if these could be fixed also as I haven't had blurries before since acquiring the GTX470.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

After searching out Bojote's original thread on this issue I experimented with the following settings:FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.50TextureMaxLoad=60SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=2These settings are quite aggressive (according to Bojote) but they get rid of the black textures and minimize blurries.Bruce

Bruce Bartlett