Sign in to follow this  
Edspace

It's the Microsoft Flight spot the difference game

main different would be the cloud and autogen density, reflection on water surface, and anti-aliasing level. The problem is: the spec for low graphic is DX9.. so do we expect Flight would use DX11 in high graphic?

HelloThere is nothing in the second shot that suggests it is using anything other than DX9.These november screenshots are not that impressive really, most here will have their FSX installs looking better than that by now.The DX9 and XP support is frankly depressing to hear, anyone still thinking this is a new engine is going to be disappointed.

Low settings looks like: no anti-aliasing, low object density, simpler and fewer clouds, no water shaders, lower resolution textures, more or less the same thing you get between high and low settings on FSX.XP and DX9 is a must if they want to stay true to their commitment of wider appeal, I'm sure there are plenty of users out there who are still rocking DX9 cards and XP. If they took this away it would completely exclude that group. Possibly it will be DX9 and a fully functioning DX10.I think even though the water in the first shot might look prettier, it looks far more realistic in second.

Ugly gray things versus puffy realistic 3d-looking cloudslow res textures versus high-reslow auto-gen tree, tree tree house versus forest and cityno-shader water with static texture versus SM2 or SM3 water with waves and ripplesNo AA versus AANow, lets see same shot FSX versus Flight...thats a comparison for the books.

I really wish they'd spruce up that website...I could put one together that looked 10 times better than that... unsure.png

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I really wish they'd spruce up that website...I could put one together that looked 10 times better than that... unsure.png
HelloSo could they if they where not forced by company politics into using Silverlight

The ocean looks far better in the 1st shot. Hope they sort that out.
I see it the opposite way ....

I should clarify - reflective water is a must (and what I prefer if having to choose), but they need to figure out the angles at which the reflection gives way to transparency. IMO for shallow water the reflected sky is too severe. At that viewing angle (and water depth) I believe there should be a lot more apparent transparency, though I doubt it takes physical water depth into account. I realize the shot has a low sun, but I think there needs to be a tradeoff.

I should clarify - reflective water is a must (and what I prefer if having to choose), but they need to figure out the angles at which the reflection gives way to transparency. IMO for shallow water the reflected sky is too severe. At that viewing angle (and water depth) I believe there should be a lot more apparent transparency, though I doubt it takes physical water depth into account. I realize the shot has a low sun, but I think there needs to be a tradeoff.
Hi, I think the transparency in the first image is a fake effect and included in the texturing used for water surrounding coastlines. Reflections haven't been implemented yet. Maybe the reflective qualities will be toned down when in overcast or choppy conditions but we've yet to see any reflection in the water so it's impossible to say right now.I can't explain the different in behaviour in the apparent lack of 'transparency' for the high settings but I suspect water is still being worked on and a more consistent water rendering will emerge also showing reflections at a later stage in the development. I'm pretty sure of this because you'll know when reflections are included as there'll be a ton of screenshots released showing this effect. I had considered Microsoft could drop the reflection effect but I don't think this will happen, it's just not ready yet to be shown.Personally I would have liked Microsoft to have adopted the Prepar3D approach and render the water using true water depth at least around coastal areas. It would have made such affects much easier to implement IMHO.web_bathymetry.jpgCheers,Dave.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.