Sign in to follow this  
IAmThWlfMan

Goodbye MS Flight (sim)

Maybe you should look in another direction. The MS flight sims may not be for you or your expectations.
Notice I didn't include FSX in that list. When I finally returned to the Microsoft Flightsim world, it was because the addons had improved to the point where I could realistically see myself enjoying using it. Default scenery has never been all that good in MS Flight Simulator, and it was bloody awful in FS5/FS95/FS98.
So you consider waiting the 10 years between FS4 and FS9 as a logical next step? Have you ever seen the difference just between versions 4 and 5??
IMO, FS5 was probably the worst version of MS Flight Simulator that has ever been released. The "photorealistic textures" were a disgrace for 99.9% of the world. "A shimmering mass of textured garbage" is how I described the graphics at the time. In all honesty, I much preferred the look of FS4. It may have used very simple wire frame graphics and colours, but the "clean" look was a damn sight more comfortable to my eye than the shocking mess of FS5.** By the way, I never purchased FS9 **

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

The reason MS hasn't come out and said more is because this is Sinofsky's MS now. And he won't allow anything specific said about a product until it's damn near done, or at the very least feature complete. That means, unlike with the Longhorn/Vista mess, when they announce something about a product, it WILL be in it or have that feature. So if they're not saying anything, it means IMO they aren't 100% sure what the final feature list is. And it's that simple.

The reason MS hasn't come out and said more is because this is Sinofsky's MS now. And he won't allow anything specific said about a product until it's damn near done, or at the very least feature complete. That means, unlike with the Longhorn/Vista mess, when they announce something about a product, it WILL be in it or have that feature. So if they're not saying anything, it means IMO they aren't 100% sure what the final feature list is. And it's that simple.
You keep talking there now Butch ! its what you're good at.

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

This post is aimed at those who feel a Hawaii only sim is a possibility in a negative aspect. It will refer to some as idiots. This is not aimed as those who think rationally or have rational data or concepts to back up their opinions, but merely those who irrationally jump to conclusions and wild speculation.FS has always been the world over since FS98 and has always supported 3rd party. Why the hell would that all change now? FS would have died ages ago without 3rd party. MS can't make ALL the aircraft that people fly and they know that too. To think otherwise you're all a bunch of retarded skeptical maniacs who abandon reason for fear. I have no doubt that MS has thought about ways to eek out a few more dollars out of us, but I doubt regional packs is how they would have done it this go around. The Hawaii thing is all just because they needed a single area to demonstrate different aspects of the sim, be it terrain, landmarks, autogen, clouds, water, AI. They picked Hawaii for some reason and have only shown it due to a marketing tactic. The idea FS is Hawaii only is idiocy at best and a distributed regionally would be a leap given FS history and the competition (X-Plane 10) catering to the world.Regional expansions wouldn't be a bad idea, marketing wise. Some people would only fly in certain areas. I rarely fly outside the US save on flights in the UK and western European places of interest. The rest of the world would just be extra. Regional expansion packs would allow MS to save some money on the DVDs and make specific sections allowing people to buy only those they wish to use. Want a new area? Buy it separately. Spend $50 on the base sim with original area (maybe breakdown continentally - North America/South America/South Pacific/Asia/Africa/Europe) with each expansion zone maybe $20 via download and MS activiation for protection against piracy. For those that want the world, a Deluxe Edition for $90 that includes all packs with a discount. Buy them all separately and you'd have $50 base sim, then $20x5 or $150. The deluxe version would be discounted from the totals, but they could make more money off the same product with a different distribution system. I doubt highly this is the direction MS is taking (the prices are my own with no backing for them, but are based on other software pricing models I've seen historically). The extra revenue for the sim would guarantee it staying around a while longer as well as the possibility to expand the design team for a future version to be even more advanced.

fvapres, I'd probably go along with most of what you said.The highly developed Hawaii may be part of a demo release of Flight.X-plane may have pushed M$ and raised the bar, which is just as well for us as users ! No matter which sim is preferred.

Sorry guys, my money (UK/GBP !!) is on a Wii/X-Box compatible "run around your living room with your arms out-stretched, going "Wheeeeee"!I've just read that 'Flight' will be 10GB and run on a dual core.....Oh Dear!How much money do you think that Microsoft make from the superb artists/makers of the Add-ons that make our simming so close to reality! My Simming library now contains almost 2m files. My GA-based hardware has cost around £3k. Only £30 of that went to Microsoft....I'm quite likely to be sticking to FSX. Many of my buddies with a prefernce for 'Heavies' still prefer thier Fs9 set-ups.I honestly do believe that Microsoft will be seeking to EXTEND the audience/purchasers.....not just expecting their loyal 'oldies' to ditch thier previous investment and take up a 10GB new one.And it is likely to be launched as this year's "Christmas must-have" (for 12-year-olds) LOL.gifSorry.....but for a "professional" organisation such as MIcrosoft to think that running childish "teaser" drip-ads will have us all queing up for their latest offering......well, I just hope they aren't holding their breath !!Mac@Bath

/snip
I don't see anything childish about this... do you?xbox-live-pets.jpg

I can!They'll debut FS Stew and FS Agent, the first interactive flight attendant and booking agent!FS Stew will call you at the crack of dawn to remind you it's time to get up, she'll be waiting with a drink in her handafter that long flight, and she'll spill coffee on the FMC, causing an unforeseen electrical failure that you'll have to deal with!FS Agent will hold your pushback because of some irate passenger(s) or other Company delay that you'll think is a failure of theAircraft model, and you'll have to do a diagnostic and figure out the problem!Hey... you guys want innuendo, speculation and hearsay, right?Alan Talking%20Ear%20Off.gif
HA! Lovely!!

Sorry guys, my money (UK/GBP !!) is on a Wii/X-Box compatible "run around your living room with your arms out-stretched, going "Wheeeeee"!I've just read that 'Flight' will be 10GB and run on a dual core.....Oh Dear!How much money do you think that Microsoft make from the superb artists/makers of the Add-ons that make our simming so close to reality! My Simming library now contains almost 2m files. My GA-based hardware has cost around £3k. Only £30 of that went to Microsoft....I'm quite likely to be sticking to FSX. Many of my buddies with a prefernce for 'Heavies' still prefer thier Fs9 set-ups.I honestly do believe that Microsoft will be seeking to EXTEND the audience/purchasers.....not just expecting their loyal 'oldies' to ditch thier previous investment and take up a 10GB new one.And it is likely to be launched as this year's "Christmas must-have" (for 12-year-olds) LOL.gifSorry.....but for a "professional" organisation such as MIcrosoft to think that running childish "teaser" drip-ads will have us all queing up for their latest offering......well, I just hope they aren't holding their breath !!Mac@Bath
Bravo.My and many others sentiments exactly, whether silent or otherwise.As I have said a few posts ago, I and many like me have spend endless hours and incomeon our addons, hardware and time and it seems that MS would have considered this (fingers crossed).I think we've split 50/50 on this as a community that is obsessing about the new incarnationof Flight Simulator. Both halves are well deserved for their concerns and deserve theirvoices to be heard.Yea, It's damn crappy to have to worry about all of the countless lost hours of swearing, sweat andloving patience of our mates when it comes to the concern as to whether MS is going to leave usout in the proverbial cold.I remember back when FS 98 came out and they were introducingthe mufti-player stuff (web). Everyone was up in arms. But when the dust settled, it was MS whoactually started the whole mufti-flight gig and everyone grabbed on.I think that MS is doing this.They are working with mainstream FS9/X after-market developers and creatinga product that is essentially FSX but with the benefit of 3-4 years of product development.Someone once posted a video on YOUTUBE where they called itFS11. It was nothing more than FSX with every major addon you could imagine.It looked really great. Of course, he was full of it. But, it underlined a point.The new FS is probably going to be this but with the power of MS behind itwith every major addon developer in their back pocket.Anyway. That is my rambling two-cents.FreddyFred

They are working with mainstream FS9/X after-market developers and creatinga product that is essentially FSX but with the benefit of 3-4 years of product development.
Had you written "They will be working with..." it would have been more accurate. MS have already make it crystal clear that there will be an SDK available, since they wrote "...we can't do it all..." What hasn't been made clear yet is just what the admissions process will be, nor what percentage of sales will be retained by MS for managing the store and ensuring the DRM.Most commercial developers already pay some percentage of their sales to their publisher (Flight1, Aerosoft, Wilco, et alia) or else absorb those costs themselves. In any case, as long as Microsoft's cut is under 20%, it will remain a profitable venture for any developer.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The thing that worries me with this "store" is Microsoft. will they allow 3rd party developers? without 3rd party developers i wouldn't have bought fsx.
It wouldn't be much of a store without allowing that. Microsoft isn't going to spend the resources to greatly populate a store IMO.If the goal is to model the Apple app store (a logical conclusion since it's so profitable), that store is almost completely based on 3rd party software, from free apps to pay to play stuff.

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.