Looking at various programs like REX, ASE, Ipad airport weather apps, decoding Tafs etc It seems that ASE has more discrepancies with wind direction. Again going in to Geneva I have runway allocation chaos despite testing out all the depiction modes.So which program is correct?......I think I know, but, It would be good to have a second opinion.

Variable at 3Kts and 00 at 00 are both the same to FS--calm winds. Neither one will set the runway usage and neither one will cause runway allocation chaos.

Unfortunately PFE has no idea which runway is in use based on ASE data - REX is fine.Any help welcome

If you do a "Refresh AI Aircraft", AI aircraft should use the correct runway according to wind direction. PFE determine the runway to use according to the Runway the AI use.I think this is true.

@ST1322 - yeah, I tried all modes.@Stonelove... Thanks for the tip, but I would prefer not to exit the sim while decending or on approach.I wonder what criteria ASE uses to determine the correct runway. Looking at my attached images the ASE wind aloft data, 090@3k and 263@6k could be the culprit.....the Rex data looks more consistent.

ASE does not control the runways. That is all done in FS and the FS ATC system. All ASE does is supply the data to FS. After that it is all up to FS.

OK, sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, I just want to understand........but, if the data is not accurate ( I don't know if either ASE or REX are fully accurate ) won't that cause issues when relating a flight plan or ATC to real world weather?

BTW - did you pay attention to winds aloft? What can you say here for difference? :)

Tom Link

After numerous flights....I can say I have had enough of ASE. It's just not reliable with real world weather.Back to REX.

I posted something like this before seeing this topic Hug.gif , I am interested in which is most accurate too. Especially when it comes to winds, I am sure it is less turbulent when higher up, which is the opposite of what REX normally outputs into my Sim, this makes me think ASE might be the most accurate as when I'm at a high altitude using ASE the winds are quite low, if I open the rex weather engine they're much much higher than ASE reports.

Exactly, plus you can verify data with any weather aviation page ovailable thru google.As for Chris above comment... not reliable? Do you have something to compare it with? Any data, so we can all judge? Listen, I also did not believe on many accasions in certain weather outputs... but someone once explained to be exactly what is on fore-casted weather page and how ASE relates to it... well it was pretty damn accurate.

Tom Link

I use TAF data, Flight radar app ( to double check runway allocation ), Aero weather pro app, FSC9 weather check, all running real time and they verify real world weather - I use them on the fly while using the sim. I also look out of the window as I can hear and see approaches and departures into EGLL ( RW 27 approach goes right over my house ) and EGLC - that way I know for real which runways are in use.REX has it's issues which is why I tried ASE, but, ASE causes more frustration than I need.

I reply to this post late because I thought it would be staright forward.The ASE manual says this: "Press the "Refresh AI Aircraft" button to update the current weathe for all AI aircraft. This ensures that the AI aircraft conforms to the current weather conditions supplied by ASA/ASE i.e land and depart on the correct runway etc".You dont have exit the sim to get all this working for PFE; you simply load the sim, do a refresh then load PFE. Since PFE selects the runway and runway heading according to the heading the IA use, then its simple to work out that PFE should direct you the correct runway heading according to the wind/AI.If you read the manual it should be clear.Please reply, if i'm wrong to interpreting things wrongly.

I use TAF data, Flight radar app ( to double check runway allocation ), Aero weather pro app, FSC9 weather check, all running real time and they verify real world weather - I use them on the fly while using the sim. I also look out of the window as I can hear and see approaches and departures into EGLL ( RW 27 approach goes right over my house ) and EGLC - that way I know for real which runways are in use.REX has it's issues which is why I tried ASE, but, ASE causes more frustration than I need.
This is not an advertising forum for REX. The data used by ASE is far more accurate than any other alternative, we can and have proven that numerous times. Sorry you are having problems, but you are always welcome to contact support (support.hifitechinc.com) for resolution. Posting blanket "it's just wrong, the other stuff is better, I just can't use this" is not helpful in any way, and we ask that a more constructive approach is used instead.

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies