Sign in to follow this  

Why do pilot seats are always covered by fur ?

737 NG and I guess pretty much each plane pilot seats are covered by fur ...I've always wondered why....is it too cold in the cabin ? I don't think so...is it a grip matter ? I don't think so...so, why ?Thx

I think the number 1 reason would be it's the best material to keep you from sliding around on the seat when doing extreme maneuvers. It also is more comfortable when spending long hours in the cockpit.

I think the number 1 reason would be it's the best material to keep you from sliding around on the seat when doing extreme maneuvers. It also is more comfortable when spending long hours in the cockpit.
You may be right but " extreme maneuvers " pertain more to Red Bull air shows or military rather than commercial planes and there are breathing-foams now days that are more comfortable than synthetic furs.I guess it is a tradition factor who leads that but I dunno

Since it's a $70+ million machine, I think Boeing decided to at least make it comfortable for the 2 folks up front flying the thing.mitch bowman

Absorbs well when peeing in pants of sheer terror
LOLThat is the closest guess LOL.gif

honestly i wouldn't be surprised if it just something traditional from WW2 fighter jet seats. Probably no 'functional' reason.

I have leather in my car. I drove it across the country. I wanted to shoot myself.I've flown with fur covers, simple fabric and all that, and it's a little more comfortable.If you know the full backstory of UGG boots, you'd know they were originally made for surfers coming off of the beach. They aren't made to be worn with socks, and the furry interior provides both circulated air to dry the feet, regulation of the internal boot temp (to a certain degree), and comfort. I'm guessing it has similar aspects on the deck: comfortable, airy, and helps to avoid back sweat (and so on).

Kyle Rodgers

The magic of 100% genuine sheepskin is simply that it will keep you cool in summer & warm in winter. No other natural or man-made fiber possesses the qualities of sheep- skin. Whatever the temperature in your cockpit, sheepskin covers remain almost the same temperature. Additionally, each hollow fiber absorbs up to 30% of its own weight in moisture. Keeps you dry, & never feels wet itself. You avoid the heat and clamminess of vinyl, or even leather, because of the free flow of air between you and seat.So there's your answer. wink.png

Since it's a $70+ million machine, I think Boeing decided to at least make it comfortable for the 2 folks up front flying the thing.mitch bowman
+1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Wouldn't mind getting ahold of of an old cockpit seat with the sheepskin on it for home simulator use.

Eric 

Wouldn't mind getting ahold of of an old cockpit seat with the sheepskin on it for home simulator use.
Get yourself a lambie blanket.  That's what I did.  Plus my girlfriend loves the thing. *I did not pay full price.*

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules