Sign in to follow this  
FlyData

Uninstalling Bojote's Shader 3 mod results in black screen

Hello all,I have recently built a new computer with a GTX 580. My old computer had an ATI Radeon 5870. I transferred the harddrive from the old computer to the new and uninstalled the ATI drivers ahead of time. Everything is OK except when I try to uninstall the Shader 3 mod. Then I get a black screen in the aircraft window when FSX first launches and also if I start a flight, the screen is black. If I re-install the shader 3 mod, all is well.I'd like to run FSX without the Shader 3 mod to see how the Nvidia based card works, but I need a work-around of some kind. I even tried repairing FSX and FSX Accel after uninstalling the mod, but it didn't make a difference.Any thoughts?Thanks,Don

Don Polidori

Yes, I flushed it before I removed the program. I used the link that shows up under the Shader program in the start, "all programs" menu to flush it. Should I try something else?

Don Polidori

hmmm....You should not have a folder named "ShadersHLSL_ORIGINAL" in your FSX root directory after a successful un-install of shader mod 3, as the un-install removes the folder "ShadersHLSL" then renames the folder "ShadersHLSL_ORIGINAL" back to "ShadersHLSL". Check to see if you do. have "ShadersHLSL_ORIGINAL" If you do, then Shader Mod 3 may not have un-installed correctly.

When you UNinstall the Shader 3 mod, you need to make sure you make a conforming change to your fsx.cfg file. You need to REMOVE the following entry under [GRAPHICS]:ALLOW_SHADER_30=1(or change it to ALLOW_SHADER_30=0).Major V

Thanks for the responses. I ended up re-running the repair and it worked this time. I had forgotten that I changed the folder name of the FSX folder after I had done the original installation. When I ran the repair, it "remembered" the old directory name and installed files into that. I had to change my FSX directory name back to what it was, run the repair successfully, then rename back to what I have to as of now. That did the trick, though.--Don

Don Polidori