Sign in to follow this  
cessnahku

upgrade question

Hi, I have decided to upgrade with a new mb, proc, and memory. I will be using my old hd and power supply. My question is can I reload my windows 7 and my FSX programs?

You will need to do a fresh install of Win7 since you changed your MB, CPU and ram. When Win7 installs it installs drivers and chipsets for your MB so if you try to boot your old Win7 install on your new MB/CPU it will probably not boot. If it does boot you will probably have nothing but problems with things working correctly.

Thanks for the reply idahosurge, when I reload windows 7 will it not reject because I have loaded it before?Terry

Make sure your BIOS is set to boot from your DVD, if it asks you to repair or install select install. You may have to activate by phone since you have a previous install. It would be a good idea for you to erase your HD during the install process to get rid of your old windows install. There are guides at sevenforums.com that tell you how to do this with diskpart.Read both of the below guides all the way through before you start.Install guidehttp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/91339-ssd-hdd-optimize-windows-reinstallation.html How to get into Diskparthttp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/119713-diskpart-pc-startup.html?ltr=D

Thanks very much for the info, that site has a lot of helpfull info. The fog in this old head is starting to clear.Terry

There is a big chance You will not need to reinstall - been there done that.After new hdw will be installed, just do the old driver swipe (there are a lot of freeware software to do that). But please start with backup first, than replace the hardware inside the box

Let us know what happens.JimCYWG