Sign in to follow this  
squawkvfr

GPS Waypoint-only flight?

HiI have a number of aircraft that have the default GPS500 but have no VOR/ILS or ADF gauge. Is it possible (both IRL and in the sim) to make a flight using only GPS waypoints (NOT GPS-direct)?

Hi, Wow - IRL it's usually the other way around - typically an aircraft will have VOR/ADF - but - no GPS... Which aircraft are you flying ??? It's certainly possible to navigate without any radio instruments - as there aren't any rules preventing it... You could take off and navigate a plane strictly by using charts and visual waypoints if you so desired... You don't even have to have a radio if you're not flying into towered airports and such - although it's a good idea... There's the old IFR humor - meaning "I Follow Roads"...Regards,Scott

imageproxy.png.c7210bb70e999d98cfd3e77d7

I'm flying Warwick Carter's P-51D Version 2. It has a Remote Indicating Compass and its radio stack has Nav1 and Nav2, but it doesn't have any nav instruments...blink.png I'm planning on flying some cross-country flights using airways, so I was wondering if it would be possible without the aid of VORs.

Why in the world would an aircraft have NAV radios, but no instruments to use them? You could technically use the GPS to fly waypoint to waypoint and you could fly an airway using it, but it would not be "legal" in the real world without an approved GPS, and I believe functioning VORs are mandatory, but the virtual world is what you're happy with.

The Warwick Carter P-51Dv2 only has a VC; all gauges are 3d modeled. Is there any way I can somehow swap the panel's gyrocompass (to the left of the ADI) with the stock (e.g. Beech Baron, Mooney) HSI? The default VC radios are scattered all over the place; I was thinking of somehow incorporating the default Cessna radio stack into the main panel.

To the OP, yes this is possible when flying in real life. For IFR operations you need a primary source of navigation and a secondary, your primary would be the default Garmin 500 and your secondary can be the radar environment (make sure you can get to the MEA's).

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."