Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Kilo

747X HDG SEL Problem

I thought I'd start a new post on this too.I have stuck to using the PMDG 747 on FS9 because of this problem. I would like to move to FSX because of the NGX, but every time I install the 747X on FSX, I have the same problem with the Heading Select. I am flying the aeroplanes in an identical manner in both FS9 and FSX, but the Heading Select problem only appears with the 747X in FSX. I am well aware of the differences between LNAV, HDG HOLD and HDG SEL.Just to be clear, LNAV works perfectly, as does HDG HOLD. As soon as you come out of either of these modes and engage HDG SEL, then the aicraft will roll wings level (if not already level) and continue flying straight ahead. Twisting the Heading Select bug left or right moves the dotted magenta heading line on the ND as you would expect, but the FD commands no turn to the right or left and stays central throughout and therefore the aeroplane doesn't turn either.Any ideas?Chris King

Twist the HDG SEL knob until your desired heading is indicated (the dashed line) then press the HDG SEL knob to activate, the dashed turns solid to indicate that it is active and the aircraft turns onto that heading.Manual - 08_Autopilot_Flight_Director 8-13:

HDG Selector Knob: Allows magneticheading to be selected in the HDG window.If pushed after a heading is selected, theHDG mode will engage and issuecommands to the AFDS to fly the selectedheading.

Thanks Paul for your help, but this isn't the issue.It should (and does on the PMDG 747 for FS9 and indeed on the real aircraft) work either way. You should be able to press HDG SEL and then twist the knob to change heading, or twist the knob to change heading and then press HDG SEL. HDG SEL will annunciate on the PFD when HDG SEL mode is active and the aircraft should turn on to the assigned heading by following the Flight Directors.At no point does the dashed magenta line turn solid. The solid line is the FMC (or LNAV) route.Any other ideas anybody?CheersChris King

Sorry, you are right about the line not turning solid, after changing or selecting a heading it will show on map mode as a dotted line for 10 seconds, but the HDG SEL button does have to be pushed for HDG SEL mode to be engaged. You will see the roll mode change to "HDG SEL". The only example I could find for its operation is in the FMC users guide in the section on "Intercept course" starting at the bottom of page 12-35.There is a TO/GA option on the PMDG menu that forces wings level or HDG SEL mode when TO/GA is activated. Could this be your issue?

I'm having exactly the same problem. HDG SEL does not always work. I usually fly my PMDG 744 with LNAV engaged and it works perfectly until approaching, the Vatsim ATC asks me to make a turn so I have to disengage LNAV by pressing HDG Hold button so that the plane won't follow the set nav, and then I twist heading knob to change to the expected heading, and push SEL, but the plane will not turn, it will stay my present heading. So I have to disengage AP to turn the aircraft myself manually. The HDG SEL used to work correctly for me before and just sometimes I'm able to get it work by turning AP off/on.

Is this a bug or just my settings? A solution is highly appreciated. Cheers. Don Lee.

Hi Folks;

Just checking to see if there was a resolution or additional suggesions on this issue. i have been experiencing the same issue.

Thanks.

Anthony Forshaw

i changed over from fs9 only recently and have the same issue (win7 64bit system, up to date, fsx gold, -400x updated to latest version).

however, the problem resolves itself on my sim by moving the Bank Limit Selector at least once (ie. the outer ring of the Heading Selector Knob) - i move it right and then back to the auto position each flight. it's marked up as a pre-taxi check and since discovering this odd 'fix' have had no problems with HDG selections in the 'air'.

hth!