Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Monitors 16:9 or 16:10 Your thoughts?

Hi guys,I am thinking baout upgrading my monitor from a samsiung 22" 1650x1080 to a 24", and I am stuck between 1920x1050 and 1920x1200..I have searched around and I have had no real clarity in which is better for gaming and FSX..You thoughts please gentlemen! :) [i am currently impressed by this model a Benq G2420]http://www.ebuyer.com/169099-benq-g2420hd-24-lcd-monitor-9h-l3alb-qbeAll the best

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I've got a 26" 1920x1200 Samsung Syncmaster T260HD monitor and it's perfect for gaming and FSX.

Erik L.

26" is never too much especially when gaming :)I have the benq GL2450 (24") but remeber, 2" more is measured diagonally,so it''s not as big as it seems.

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I am thinking cost wise, it is maybe best to stay to 24", 27" may kill my performance right?

Alex Ridge

Not at all. 1920x1200 is 1920x1200, the pixels don't care if they're slightly larger or smaller :)

I prefer 16:10 by far - I like the extra vertical space.

I am thinking cost wise, it is maybe best to stay to 24", 27" may kill my performance right?
The resolution itself is what matters, not the screen size - video card pushes the same number of pixels for both a 24" and 27" if both are at the same resolution.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I prefer 16:10 by far - I like the extra vertical space.The resolution itself is what matters, not the screen size - video card pushes the same number of pixels for both a 24" and 27" if both are at the same resolution.
Ryan, thanks for your reply, I am just browsing the monitors and 16:10 is so so hard to find, what do you suggest

Alex Ridge

I prefer 16:10 by far - I like the extra vertical space....
Me too. The vertical space is more important than the horizontal imo, at least when we are talking wide aspect monitors.

running 26" on 1920x1200 here too. As others already mentioned, I really like the extra vertical space (pixels) that 16:10 gives me over 16:9. You'll love such a big monitor by the way, makes things really easy to see plus you can zoom out in VC a little bit more without everything becoming unreadable.

Lennart

Banner_MJC11.png

Hi guys,I am thinking baout upgrading my monitor from a samsiung 22" 1650x1080 to a 24", and I am stuck between 1920x1050 and 1920x1200..I have searched around and I have had no real clarity in which is better for gaming and FSX..You thoughts please gentlemen! :) [i am currently impressed by this model a Benq G2420]http://www.ebuyer.co...or-9h-l3alb-qbeAll the best
Neither. Go for a 1920x1080 (True HD) as this is a 'standard' so no scaling or masking will be required. Non standard resolutions always end up being more trouble then they are worth.

Just one question. I'm also thinking about buying a new monitor (27 inch). Will this also make the readability of the instruments easier? More detail? Because it's got the same amount of pixels, correct? But the pixels are bigger?

Neither. Go for a 1920x1080 (True HD) as this is a 'standard' so no scaling or masking will be required. Non standard resolutions always end up being more trouble then they are worth.
True HD x1080 is better than the 1200? Thinking of a 27" ASUS VE278Q

Alex Ridge

True HD x1080 is better than the 1200? Thinking of a 27" ASUS VE278Q
I would say qualifed yes. 1200 gives you more addressable pixels so is obviously better. For some things. Anything that uses pure software rendering will benifit from having more pixels. However, if you want to watch LOTR extended blue ray directors cut, then you dont want a pretty dumb piece of software attempting to map 1080 input to 1200 output display area and taking guesses about how to handle the discrepencies. The advantage that 1080 has over 1200 is that it is a standard that a lot more people use, and when they design their stuff to look its best in 1080, it can not look better in 1200 (or any other resolution) but it can look worse.

1080 is a TV resolution. If your media player is incapable of displaying a video in its original format then get a proper media player. 1200 is superior in every single way