Sign in to follow this  
MatthewMarshall

Reviews

I like the Carenado planes as well, but the whole review series would look moreprofessional if you ran it through a good spell checkerunsure.png

Bert

Guest BeaverDriver

It's always good to see reviews of aircraft for FSX, although I must agree with Bert on the spelling (and grammar). One point I would like to correct here is that the FD files and behaviour for the Bush version, and in particular that of the seaplane, are radically different to that of the original release (straight wheels), as they should be. The seaplane configured 185 handles very differently to the straight wheeled machine, as does the wheel/ski version. This is reflected in the most recent FD files. I'm wondering if you have the latest files for that?The only other point would be in your engine handling. You said:

Up-On reaching around about 80knots a small amount of back pressure will take the aircraft into the skies and a further climb out at about 100knots will give you a nice climb vertical speed of about 1400-1500 ft/min which is amazing for a one engined aircraft. After passing through 1000ft I take it to more a climb thrust with the prop lever pulled back to about 2300 RPM and the manifold at full power, this just bring the vertical speed down to about 800ft per minute which is a more comfortable climb.
I see in your signature that you list as being a PPL. My hope is that you don't pull your prop back that much while maintaining full throttle near sea level in real life ;). You'll burn out a lot of engines doing that in a piston, constant speed prop machine! For certain I can tell you the 185 won't appreciate it. If you were climbing at that rate, you would have had a pretty light load on board. Typically we'd simply lower the nose and go for a nice, fast cruise climb at something like 500 fpm, which keeps your speed up considerably (getting you there faster) while still maintaining a healthy climb rate, rather than coming back on the power to slow your climb. As I'm sure you consulted the manual before flying the aircraft, you can see that climb power for the 185 is 25"/2550 rpm. Fully loaded you'll need all of that power to maintain anything close to 1,000 fpm after the first couple of thousand feet have been gained.It's good that you are taking on reviews. One only has to be careful that they handle the aircraft in the prescribed fashion as dictated by the manual and/or personal experience in order for the reviews to maintain a level of reliability that the reader can depend on to base a decision on whether to purchase or not. I urge you to continue and I'm sure with time and practice, your reviews will increase in value to the reader. All the best with the project