Sign in to follow this  
Habejom

can ATC un-clear me for an altitude/FL?

Hi guys. Just wondering if this is normal: it doesn't bother me, but it strikes me as odd. Often clearance delivery will clear me for an altitude (say 16,000ft) and tell me to expect my filled FL within 10 mins. Then, departure tells me I'm under radar contact and to climb and maintain a lower altitude (usually15,000 FT). But I was already cleared for 16000!As I said, it doesn't matter much, but I don't know if its supposed to happen or not. Regards.

Isn't ATC telling you "expect FL160 within 10minutes"? Expecting a FL is different than actually clearing you. And yes...ATC always has the last word about heights, speed and vectors.

Usually In the scenario you describe, you will be cleared to15,000 initially, then at or below that alt, you will be cleared to 16,000. That is typical of the way it works.

i would have to see a log, to understand what is happening. instructions pinned to the top of the forumjd

JD, I will send you a log shortly. In the meantime, sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I will try again:“Departures” clears me for 15,000, but that is after “Delivery” had already cleared me to 16,000.

Departure may 'step' you to the altitude CD issued. What was your requested cruise altitude?

Departure may 'step' you to the altitude CD issued. What was your requested cruise altitude?
It was FL350. Transition altitude is 18,000.

Two items that come to mind. The departure range in RC is 30 nm. CD could clear you beyond that range. Once on center you can request higher within those limits of which center (by altitude strata windows) phase you're in.I don't know if ATC as opposed to CD takes your aircraft type class (in the options where you pick your aircraft type) to determine your maximum climb rate. With non-heavy airliner jets (B737, B738)I usually get cleared higher before reaching the 30 nm limit. Think of leaving departure as an outgoing transition altitude of sorts for handing you off to center.Other than that no clue here :)If you wish to submit a log as jd stated and you can duplicate the flight go ahead.