Sign in to follow this  
Joel

Radius to Fix

Quite a while ago, I was told that the Radius to Fix feature during RNP approaches would be implemented in SP1. I haven't looked on the forum much since then and am not sure. Is the RF feature in service pack 1 or is it looked at for a later SP?

Thanks for the reply. I do hope that it would be implemented soon because boy do I love those approaches.

Ryan has shared that they are looking but data sources are too expensive for most of us. I'm waiting for the FAA to start publishing the data in their 56d subscription data but so far the file is empty with no prediction of when they will start. And even then, that is just US coverage.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan. So will PMDG be developing RF or not? I couldn't tell from your answer. I have procedures i'd like to reproduce, without having to use pseudo waypoints. Thanks!Ash Frew.

This will not go in until we change the navdata format, and that's not going to happen until we have a source of data that makes changing the format worth the time to do. There's other things that need to go into it besides RF too - the actual RNP values have to be there in the procedure, the transition altitudes etc - it's not as easy as just adding an RF syntax thing. The only people who have this data in full are the big providers like Jeppesen, LIDO etc... it's a quandary for sure.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

To do it right it is not only RF, there are something like 23 different path-terminator entities (RF is one of them) and you have to handle them all for many approaches, path-terminators show up a lot in missed approach procedures. It is difficult to imagine an implementation of an approach without a full implementation of a missed procedure that goes with it. It is all part of the ARINC Xxx, whatever the number, data standard. What is the path/terminator - in a nutshell any deviation from your typical point-to-point navigation.

Edited by michal

Yeah, that's what the plan has been all along - convert to using real ARINC 424 data with the path and terminator system. That's what real FMCs read.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Although keep in mind, most of those leg times are already in the current terminal procedure database format.

Just wondering there - IIRC, Navigraph gets their data from Navtech, is it positively confirmed, that their source data does not contain data needed? As opposed to their output data, which does not, since there are no provisions at time in any used format to store this kind of data...