Sign in to follow this  
gura75

High altitude airports and minimums

Kabul (OAKB) is one of them with aprt elev. 5877 feet. When it comes to mimimum hight it is getting tricky I think. Let us assume the minimum altitude is 500 ft. (above the aprt elev ). I would like to adjust minimums setting to this altitude (PMDG 737). How would I do so.... adding 5877 + 500 results in 6377ft, Does it mean I have to turn the minimum knob all the way up to 6377??? It will take like ages....any suggestions guys? gura75

I do believe that the "minimum" altitude would be the minimum altitude that the pilot needs to see the airport before going missed. That I think would be in the 100's of feet based on the radar altitude. For example, Phoenix is at around1200 feet. Minimum I think is around 200'. Thus you would set 200'.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Depends if you're using the "RADIO" or "BARO" setting for the minimums. Typically you would use the "BARO" for CAT I ILS or non-precision approaches, and "RADIO" for CAT II and III. The difference is "RADIO" uses the radio altimeter, and "BARO" uses the regular altimeter. So if you are using "BARO" then yes, you would have to hold it for quite some time.For example, look at the following 2 approaches: (same airport, same runway)http://aeronav.faa.g.../09077IL34L.PDF (CAT I ILS, minimums 5527, BARO)http://aeronav.faa.g...09077I34LC2.PDF (CAT II ILS, minimums 107 RADIO. Note it says RA 107, where the first just says 5527.)

Steve Caffey