Sign in to follow this  
ohsirus

X-Plane 10 demo impressions?

I will provide input in about 6 hrs per the install timer ... total projected download time was 8 hrs for me.

LOL been flying it for 4 hours now, I guess I won Vincent LOL.gifHere's a very quick synopsis of my thoughts;It's very hard on frame rates when near clouds, lots of experimentation required with the sliders. I must admit though that for an XP9 hater (i.e. me) XP10 has moments where it looks really nice. The environment lighting is buggy as hell at the moment when you pan the view around the aircraft externally, there are moments though when you think to yourself wow that looks gorgeous then half a second later you are thinking, ouch, that looks like FS2004 and by that I mean the VC's, they are improved a bit over XP9 but they still are nothing like the quality of the VC's we have come to expect in FSX aircraft, even most default FSX aircraft VC's still look vastly better than XP10 VC's.From my experiences so far, its definitely going to be a VFR sim and not a IFR heavy iron sim, at least for the next couple of years anyway, until hardware has improved. I've got an i7 2600k @4.6Ghz with 16 Gig of RAM, 3 SSD's and a GTX580 GPU and I am struggling in the default 747 to get acceptable FPS, the VC look better than XP9 stuff but its still ugly compared to most FSX VC's. Frame rates in the Baron are much better, but the sounds in XP10 are still strange like they were in XP9 especially when switching from an external view to an internal view.Airports buildings are still very thin on the ground even in the demo, leave KSEA (default airport you start at) and you'll be lucky to see any more buildings at any of the other airfields, I haven't seen any yet. KSEA looks nice but the frame rates are awful around it, still need to learn the sliders some more I think.

Cheers, Andy.

Good report Andy, I'd concur with a lot of your observations myself, even as a developer. I'm on an i3 macintosh (not at the moment), 4MB ram with 1GB video card (ATI Radeon something). KSEA definitely hits the framerates hard and I expect to scale back a few of the details there during the "December optimization" period we're expecting...there really is a LOT of stuff packed into KSEA. We have several new technologies stuffed in there also and we have yet to run performance code on it to troubleshoot the slow performers...so we're keeping fingers crossed we can find improvements there. Also, I'll put some buildings down at the other airports...we had a last minute snafu with the scenery editor that sidelined populating those airports with some default buildings. It'll take all of a day to squeeze buildings in at the other airfields...so we're on that. Nobody really knows where we'll end up. We're letting xplane get into the hands of a lot of people and then we can start culling through all the observations and figure out which issues to start tackling and as we've always done, we'll get right back on it.

Spot on Andy, I made the mistake of going to my home port and realized that it was surrounded by water ( Not available). Guess KSEA is where we are to gauge the performance.

Is there any way to remove the time limit on the demo for confirmed purchasers as a way of saying thank you?

Cheers, Andy.

Is there any way to remove the time limit on the demo for confirmed purchasers as a way of saying thank you?
Ditto on that request!

I have downloading for 8 hours and still have 13 h yo go!!Does anyone know if it is OK stop the download? No problems with its uninstalaltion?

Edmundo Azevedo

No, once the download started you will have to finish it. You must not even leave your computer, or look away from the monitor! Don´t dare to go to the bathroom, eat, drink or sleep! You accepted these terms when you clicked "I agree" (they were just written so small that our monitors nowadays can´t display that fineprint).Just kidding, of course LOL.gif . As far as I know you can just terminate the download and erase the files already present on your computer. X-Plane will not "install" itself or write into the registry. There is no "uninstall", just erase the files and its gone.Jan

"...X-Plane will not "install" itself or write into the registry..."...This answers my questions. Thanks.

Edmundo Azevedo

Installed the demo, and have to say i love X-plane 10 so far. It performs a lot better than i thought it would, even with HDR on. The biggest problem-maker are clouds though.. i have to turn them off if i want some detail on the ground, and since i'm a but of a nice-weather pilot anyway, i don't really mind. The night effects look amazing.. there's nothing like flying over Seattle at night with a million stars in the sky and all those lights on the ground with the cars scurrying around on the roads.. and there are even little trains (passenger ones instead of cargo this time). On my old computer (intel core 2 quad, 4 gig, 2.4 ghz/ati 4800) i can even run 6 AI planes without too many problems (just some hickups when they're being loaded).The only thing i find REALLY annoying is the 10 minute time limit.. i hope someone over at Laminar comes to their senses soon and either removes the limitation (having just seattle is enough of a limitation, and i'm buying the full version anyways), or extend playing time to an hour or so.

Impressed so far.I bought X-Plane 7 or 8 a few years back. Played with it for a week then chucked the CDs in the bin.However, just done my first flight. Took me 5 minutes to sort out the joystick. Don't know why I have to choose Yaw/Pitch/Roll, surely it should be Rudder/Elevator/Aileron?Anyway, can't work out how to set the throttles up for the 747. I have a ch yoke so have 3 sliders but the 747 has 4 engines. Can't work out how to assign all 4 throttles to one slider so for now using F1 and F2 for throttle.The rest of the setting up was fine, flaps, gear, look left/up down etc.So jump in and take off. Frame rates seem very fluid. Couldn't work out how to go full screen (Alt+enter didn't work so maybe it's always in a window? ) I'm running 2 screens at 1920x1200 (unusualy my secondary screen is to my left) so I maxed the window accross both. This normally kills fsx but xp didn't seem to suffer. This setup I found a delight to use for the next 9 minutes before the demo expired!Points I didn't likeDuring flight seemed to develop a strange yawing oscillation. Didn't seem realistic but perhaps it is.I couldn't zoom out far enough in the cockpit, felt I was forced into having my face against the windscreen.The control coloum obliterates the primary and secondary displays. Glance down to look at what speed I'm doing, can't see. have to use the cursor keys to shift 2 feet left/right to see everything.SummaryFor a preview looks promising. Wish I wasn't going away for the next few days.