Sign in to follow this  
MikeT707

XP10 Performance Results from Community

As the demo has been released, I think it would be good to have a topic where people can provide information that might help the optimization process along, as well as to give insight into possible hardware upgrades for community member looking to possibly purchase new hardware. I don't know if people will use this, but perhaps we community members can provide the following:

• System Specs: CPU, Graphics Card, Memory, etc.
  • Simulator Settings
  • Performance: Frame Rates, etc.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I tried XP10 for about 4 hours yesterday on a good windows 7 64-bit system. I can´t tell lot about performance because to me xp10 right now seems too buggy to do some reasonable benchmarking. I had a lot of problems with performance, sometimes having 25 fps, sometimes 5 fps with the same settings and same place and aircraft. Often crashed with new graphic-settings. High settings will bring down EVERY consumer system today, that´s for sure, but I watched that XP10 nonethelesse never maxed out my CPU and GPU, stopping for some reason at about 75 to 80 percent. Maybe that´s connected to the PCI-Bus issues Ben talked about in the blog (have a PCI-E 16x2 here). I don´t know. Serious "benchmarking" is impossible now, at least for me. Best I achived for a few minutes was 25 fps with default/medium settings at KSEA, going to 35 fps a few miles away from KSEA.My conclusion is: Don´t upgrade now! Wait until they have a stable and optimzed version out (maybe 3 month from now) and then you will know what really matters for XP10. There is definately some software-work to do first. Maybe it runs already better on Mac, but I doubt it.My specs: Windows 7 64-bit, asrock z68 pro3, i7 2600@4.2, 1GB gtx560oc, 8GB RamPS: Lighting system is absolutely brilliant. XP10 is a Nightsim.

I get avg 9 to 12 fps with a Q6600 OC to 3.4 (GTX260) at KSEA in flight extreme high res..looks OKBut is it XP9 on steroids?Releasing XP10 now seems to me a Christmas stocking filler saleAnd a head start on Flight as everone is anxious to buy a new simI agree the lighting is nice but at times I get a gelatin-like coating of shimerring light around thingsal

I've got Q8300 Quad @ 2.50GHz and a GF GTS250.Frames are around 12fps with a lot of stuff toned down...Thought this might be helpful,i'd recommend a more recent rig for it at least.Not for me :(

How do you guys can see your frame rate?I could not find the setting to turn it on...Thanks.

How do you guys can see your frame rate?I could not find the setting to turn it on...
"Data Input & Output" screen, one of the first entries should be "frame rate", check the last (fourth) square.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

How do you guys can see your frame rate?I could not find the setting to turn it on...Thanks.
I googled it ...SettingsData Input and OutputData set tab

Some tests on a orthophoto made with g2xpl (Fsearth tiles equivalent for xplane), 120'000 buildings generated from openStreetMap, LFMT area.Note that there are no roads on the scene, maybe it's only on the demo area on this version.No AI planes.System : core i7 950, hd6970 , 4g ram, seven 64Settings : settingsthumb.jpg(one layer of scatered cumulus)lfmtthumb.jpglfmt3thumb.jpg lfmt2thumb.jpg lfmt1thumb.jpg

New post of Ben Supnik on X-Plane 10 performance:http://www.x-plane.com/blog/Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

@ Benny: your shots are fantastic ! And the performance impressive considering that many parameters are cranked up !My system :Ubuntu Linux 11.10 32bitsProc : Intel Quad Q6600GPU: Geforce 8800 GT (500 Mo)RAM: 4 GoResolution 1920x1200Antialiasing: noneIA aircraft : 3General observations:The demo is extremely stable on my Ubuntu. I have played all day long, with all kind of extreme settings, taking screenshots and going to desktop back and forth to look at them, and had no crash at all ! Not one single crash ! I didn't really expect that on a beta version of a complexe software.With my now old GPU I didn't expect miracles. But, the important thing is I was able to experiment all the advanced graphical features and still fly smoothly (>20fps). I just had to push one or two parameters at time, and let the others to rest.Examples (all with texture resolution:high):I was able to set number of roads and number of objects (autogen) to totally insane above Seattle. But without clouds, without trees, without special effects (except volumetric fog:on), and without shadow detail, with 25 NM visibility and low world distance details. I'm not sure I could even do this on XP9 !I could set shadows to High, with moderate world details and roads, ~50NM visibility, some clouds, volumetric fog and per pixel lighting.I could set HDR on with light scattering, but without shadows, and other setting as above.This is interesting, X-plane 10 gives a lot of possibilities. But don't be a glutton: enjoy one or two features at time if your system is like mine: not so powerful. I for one especially like to fly above orthophotos, then I'll certainly desactivate most objects but set HDR and shadows on aircraft only. HDR and light scattering effects are subtle but add a lot of immersion and depth to the landscape. When flying in the night, I'll change the settings accordingly: a lot of building, roads and cars, and tune down other parameters. The night lighting in XP10 is unbeatable.Some screenshot:x-plane10-01s.jpg

Just like to report,i took the good advice and updated my graphics card drivers.Set everything as low as i could and worked my way up until i had a good balance between smoothness and nice graphics..It's a very easy thing to miss,not having the most up to date graphics drivers i suppose :)I'm now enjoying tinkering with the different enviroment effects i.e different times of day and there have been some jaw dropping moments with the lighting.Since updating the drivers,the demo has not hung and become no responsive on exit either.

My system:Kubuntu LinuxAMD Phenom II X6 (6 cores at 3.2 GHz)nVidia GTX 460 768MB8GB RAMAt default settings I get around 30FPS in an urban area. If I crank roads and objects up to "TOTALLY INSANE!", global shadows on low, and with a thick cloud cover then things drop down to around 15FPS, but it never becomes unplayable. I'm actually surprised at how well it runs, and it looks pretty good, too.